General Forum

General Forum

  1. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29872
    21 Jan '16 13:141 edit
    Saudi Arabia’s grand mufti has ruled that chess is forbidden in Islam, saying it encourages gambling and is a waste of time.

    Sheikh Abdullah al-Sheikh was responding to a question on a television show in which he issued fatwas to viewers who sent in queries on everyday religious matters.

    He said chess was “included under gambling” and was “a waste of time and money and a cause for hatred and enmity between players”.


    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/21/chess-forbidden-in-islam-rules-saudi-arabia-grand-mufti

    Regardless of your religion, or lack of it, do any of these accusations being leveled at chess ring true for anyone here?
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    21 Jan '16 13:22
    Originally posted by FMF
    [quote]Saudi Arabia’s grand mufti has ruled that chess is forbidden in Islam, saying it encourages gambling and is a waste of time.

    Sheikh Abdullah al-Sheikh was responding to a question on a television show in which he issued fatwas to viewers who sent in queries on everyday religious matters.

    He said chess was “included under gambling” and was “a waste o ...[text shortened]... on, or lack of it, do any of these accusations being leveled at chess ring true for anyone here?
    "a cause for hatred and enmity between players"

    That would explain a lot of RHP forum behavior.

    Seriously, though, chess like anything competitive, sublimates instincts that will come out one way or another.
  3. Standard memberptobler
    Patzer
    Canberra
    Joined
    16 Oct '06
    Moves
    10140
    21 Jan '16 13:34
    Does this mean no Qatar Opens, or Al-Ain Classics any more?
  4. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    21 Jan '16 13:381 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    [quote]Saudi Arabia’s grand mufti has ruled that chess is forbidden in Islam, saying it encourages gambling and is a waste of time.

    Sheikh Abdullah al-Sheikh was responding to a question on a television show in which he issued fatwas to viewers who sent in queries on everyday religious matters.

    He said chess was “included under gambling” and was “a waste o ...[text shortened]... on, or lack of it, do any of these accusations being leveled at chess ring true for anyone here?
    Its really very interesting. My own understanding was that there are certain Hadith where Islams prophet specifically mentions chess in condemnatory tones. I remember reading in a book that it was considered idolatrous perhaps because of the figurines, whether this is true I cannot say. I suspect that it will have little bearing outside of Saudi Arabia for there are many Islamic countries which embrace and endorse chess, the Qatar Masters being a notable tournament.
  5. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Joined
    01 Jan '06
    Moves
    33672
    21 Jan '16 13:42
    Well, what can you expect from such a distinguished U.S. ally?
  6. Donationmwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Joined
    25 Feb '01
    Moves
    65518
    21 Jan '16 13:46
    Wow, someone should see about moving this one to the debates forum!
    They need some fresh meat over there!
  7. Mar-a-Lago
    Joined
    02 Aug '11
    Moves
    8962
    21 Jan '16 13:52
    Guess naked twister is out.
  8. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29872
    21 Jan '16 13:53
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    Wow, someone should see about moving this one to the debates forum!
    They need some fresh meat over there!
    You don't think there are enough threads related to Islam on that forum yet? 🙂

    On the Debates Forum, Duchess64 would soon try to turn it into a discussion about the reading comprehension skills of the potential rapists among the right wing white American males who post there. 😕

    We may be spared all that if the thread remains here. 😉
  9. Donationmwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Joined
    25 Feb '01
    Moves
    65518
    21 Jan '16 14:39
    Originally posted by FMF
    You don't think there are enough threads related to Islam on that forum yet? 🙂

    On the Debates Forum, Duchess64 would soon try to turn it into a discussion about the reading comprehension skills of the potential rapists among the right wing white American males who post there. 😕

    We may be spared all that if the thread remains here. 😉
    Good point!
  10. SubscriberBigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    bigdogghouse.com/RHP
    Joined
    26 Nov '04
    Moves
    120638
    21 Jan '16 14:45
    Originally posted by FMF
    [quote]Saudi Arabia’s grand mufti has ruled that chess is forbidden in Islam, saying it encourages gambling and is a waste of time.

    Sheikh Abdullah al-Sheikh was responding to a question on a television show in which he issued fatwas to viewers who sent in queries on everyday religious matters.

    He said chess was “included under gambling” and was “a waste o ...[text shortened]... on, or lack of it, do any of these accusations being leveled at chess ring true for anyone here?
    I really don't get the connection with gambling. Chess is a game of complete information and little prize money.
  11. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    21 Jan '16 15:08
    I have to concur with the Mufti that chess really is empty and probably a waste of time. But its innocuous. Frowning upon music is far more difficult to understand.
  12. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Joined
    01 Jan '06
    Moves
    33672
    21 Jan '16 15:32
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I have to concur with the Mufti that chess really is empty and probably a waste of time. But its innocuous. Frowning upon music is far more difficult to understand.
    So, you're not paying your €500 bet for the last match, uh?
  13. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Joined
    23 Sep '06
    Moves
    18031
    21 Jan '16 15:35
    Originally posted by Seitse
    So, you're not paying your €500 bet for the last match, uh?
    Deadbeat?
  14. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    21 Jan '16 16:28
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    I really don't get the connection with gambling. Chess is a game of complete information and little prize money.
    Perhaps at the level Saudi Arabia’s grand mufti plays chess, it is gambling.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35783
    21 Jan '16 19:58
    Originally posted by FMF
    Regardless of your religion, or lack of it, do any of these accusations being leveled at chess ring true for anyone here?
    Good luck getting traction with this on a CHESS website.

    You gotta know your audience.
Back to Top