1. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    28 Jun '20 12:33
    @bunnyknight said
    My problem is that even if I knew the precise definition of what they mean by "ether" it wouldn't help me, because in the end I have no idea what the heck that mysterious "stuff" could be. Another words -- there's insufficient data to arrive at a logical conclusion.
    Saying there are different types of ether theory to avoid an answer is a cop out. Either space is discrete or it is not. If the graviton exists there is an ether. If the graviton does not exist there is no ether. It isn't as complicated as some here want others to believe.

humy is a walking obfuscation. Don't listen to him.
  2. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    28 Jun '20 13:08
    @metal-brain said
    Saying there are different types of ether theory to avoid an answer is a cop out. Either space is discrete or it is not. If the graviton exists there is an ether. If the graviton does not exist there is no ether. It isn't as complicated as some here want others to believe.
    there are no gravitons. Gravity is a wave
  3. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    28 Jun '20 15:25
    @ogb said
    there are no gravitons. Gravity is a wave
    Then what is waving?
  4. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    28 Jun '20 16:05
    @metal-brain said

humy is a walking obfuscation. Don't listen to him.
    Like I said, I have insufficient data to believe whether space is discrete or not. It's like asking me "Does God wear clothes or not?"
  5. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    28 Jun '20 16:07
    @bunnyknight said
    Like I said, I have insufficient data to believe whether space is discrete or not. It's like asking me "Does God wear clothes or not?"
    I understand that. Nobody has proven the existence of the graviton. The title of this thread indicates space is discrete though.

Can you clarify what you mean by "space can't be empty"?
  6. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    28 Jun '20 16:14
    @venda said
    I read once that someone said to Einstein that only 3 people in the world understood realativity.
    He went quiet, and when asked why he said
    "I am trying to think of the other 2 people"
    I have another rather depressing theory: The human mind may not be smart enough to truly comprehend this subject. Another words, in order to understand the nature of stuff and the universe, the human mind may need to be 5 or 50 times more intelligent.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Jun '20 16:17
    @bunnyknight
    So we GENERATE intelligence in advanced AI.
  8. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    28 Jun '20 16:18
    @metal-brain said
    I understand that. Nobody has proven the existence of the graviton. The title of this thread indicates space is discrete though.

Can you clarify what you mean by "space can't be empty"?
    "Can you clarify what you mean by "space can't be empty"?"

Even in deep intergalactic space it's packed full of information, which can be detected by simple eyes.
  9. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    28 Jun '20 16:21
    @sonhouse said
    @bunnyknight
    So we GENERATE intelligence in advanced AI.
    Ah yes .... now you're getting to the fun stuff -- and also scary like hell.
  10. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    28 Jun '20 17:52
    @bunnyknight said
    "Can you clarify what you mean by "space can't be empty"?"

Even in deep intergalactic space it's packed full of information, which can be detected by simple eyes.
    Since we exist that is obvious.
  11. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    28 Jun '20 18:574 edits
    @metal-brain said
    Saying there are different types of ether theory to avoid an answer is a cop out.
    No, it isn't. There are a number of different ether theories proposed. Do you deny this fact? And "avoid an answer" to what question? My post was in response to one of @ponderable's posts and in that post he didn't ask a question so, as usual, you make no sense whatsoever.
  12. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    28 Jun '20 19:06
    @metal-brain said
    Then what is waving?
    The fabric of space-time, waving bye bye to gravitons.

( sorry, I couldn't resist )
  13. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    28 Jun '20 20:09
    @humy said
    No, it isn't. There are a number of different ether theories proposed. Do you deny this fact? And "avoid an answer" to what question? My post was in response to one of @ponderable's posts and in that post he didn't ask a question so, as usual, you make no sense whatsoever.
    Either space is discrete or it is not. If the graviton exists there is an ether. If the graviton does not exist there is no ether.

Different ether is still ether.
  14. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    28 Jun '20 20:417 edits
    @metal-brain said
    Either space is discrete or it is not. If the graviton exists there is an ether. If the graviton does not exist there is no ether.
    That may depend on which ether theory, depending on whether there is (or at least can be) an ether theory out there that is logically consistent with there being NO gravitons and I don't know if there is (or can be) such an ether theory because I haven't studied the subtleties of each ether theory as that has nothing to do with what I do research in; But, that's all besides the point: This has NOTHING whatsoever to do with my post in response to @ponderable post so your criticism of that post of mine makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. I said NOTHING about gravitons or whether space is discrete in that post or in any recent post; What are you on? Are you hallucinating me saying things about discrete space and gravitons you disagree with? I have NO opinion in particular on discrete space or gravitons and your are criticizing imaginary opinions I never had or expressed; go and see a doctor.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Jun '20 22:02
    @bunnyknight
    Here is the funny part: Suppose we DO invent AI 100X more intelligent then us late stage monkeys, and they DO figure out stuff like anti matter rockets and FTL drives and time travel and such but decide we are MUCH too stupid to be let loose in the galaxy with that kind of technology because they figure we would REALLY fuk up the whole milky way.....

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree