1. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    22 Nov '11 18:12
    What the hell this has got to do with Spirituality I don't know, but where's all this anti-British rancour sprung from all of a sudden?

For your information, only France and Italy have more Michelin starred restaurants than the United Kingdom. It's impossible to get a better curry even in India than in the better quality British outlets. Frankly, the worst aspects of British cuisine are those we've imported from the US - a hamburger can be a thing of beauty and wonder, how the hell do American chains turn them into cardboard with additives?

Surely there's enough to argue about based purely on all of our ridiculous spiritual beliefs without resorting to ignorant, ill-informed bigotry?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Nov '11 18:22
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    What the hell this has got to do with Spirituality I don't know, but where's all this anti-British rancour sprung from all of a sudden?

For your information, only France and Italy have more Michelin starred restaurants than the United Kingdom. It's impossible to get a better curry even in India than in the better quality British outlets. Frankly, ...[text shortened]... ll of our ridiculous spiritual beliefs without resorting to ignorant, ill-informed bigotry?
    while i agree with your sentiments, one rarely gets an authentic curry from British
    outlets unless one specifically asks for a staff curry. There is no such thing as a tikka
    masala, its a purely Indian invention for the European market, chicken tikka is in fact a
    portion of chicken , marinaded in spices and cooked dry in a tandoori oven. This is
    compounded by the fact that in a restaurant every curry has the same base
    ingredients and is simply a variation on a theme, add cream and its a korma, add
    mango chutney and tomatoes sauce and its a pataya, etc etc For authentic Indian food
    ones needs to marry an authentic Indian lady 😏

but yes, what have our American friends given us but blandess!
  3. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    22 Nov '11 21:51
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    while i agree with your sentiments, one rarely gets an authentic curry from British
    outlets unless one specifically asks for a staff curry. There is no such thing as a tikka
    masala, its a purely Indian invention for the European market, chicken tikka is in fact a
    portion of chicken , marinaded in spices and cooked dry in a tandoori oven. This ...[text shortened]... an authentic Indian lady 😏

You ain't ate my Texas chili yet partner...Lol
  4. England
    Moves
    22 Nov '11 22:131 edit
    talk about food on spirituality?? but here is my pennys worth: french bread best:
    italian pizza best: idian curry best: egg fried rice best: yorkshire pudding best: mexican chilli best: american food well there is still time
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    22 Nov '11 22:42
    Originally posted by stoker
    talk about food on spirituality?? but here is my pennys worth: french bread best:
    italian pizza best: idian curry best: egg fried rice best: yorkshire pudding best: mexican chilli best: american food well there is still time
    We have it all here in America plus more.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Nov '11 23:181 edit
    There is no such thing as a tikka masala, its a purely Indian invention for the European market, chicken tikka is in fact a portion of chicken , marinaded in spices and cooked dry in a tandoori oven.
    There absolutely is such thing as a chicken tikka masala. It's an Indian invention. What an odd thing to seek to do, divesting Indian people of their culinary achievements, their inventiveness and adaptability, and their international impact! 😉
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    22 Nov '11 23:51
    portion of chicken , marinaded in spices and cooked dry in a tandoori oven. This ...[text shortened]... an authentic Indian lady 😏

What makes cooking it in a tandoori oven any different than cooking it
    in a regular oven?
  8. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    23 Nov '11 00:09
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    ....without resorting to ignorant, ill-informed bigotry?....
    emmmm. . .

You do know you posted this on the Spirituality Forum, don't you?
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Nov '11 00:14
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    What makes cooking it in a tandoori oven any different than cooking it
    in a regular oven?
    a tandoori oven is heated with wood and charcoal and thus food cooked in it it has a smoky flavour.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Nov '11 00:16
    Originally posted by galveston75
    You ain't ate my Texas chili yet partner...Lol
    I believe, i believe! you guys got some serious chills down here.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    23 Nov '11 00:17
    a tandoori oven is heated with wood and charcoal and thus food cooked in it it has a smoky flavour.
    Like cooking on a charcoal grill?
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Nov '11 00:25
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Like cooking on a charcoal grill?
    no, a tandoori oven is closed over and the pieces of chicken are put into on a large
    metal spit, a grill is different and the method itself is different and i think produces a
    different kind of texture. You can also make nan breads in a tandoori oven, which
    itself is quite an art form, for it means literally getting the dough and slapping it to the
    side of the clay oven whilst it is hot.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    23 Nov '11 00:32
    no, a tandoori oven is closed over and the pieces of chicken are put into on a large
    metal spit, a grill is different and the method itself is different and i think produces a
    different kind of texture. You can also make nan breads in a tandoori oven, which
    itself is quite an art form, for it means literally getting the dough and slapping it to the
    side of the clay oven whilst it is hot.
    Thanks for the info. I guess I never had anything cooked like that then.
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    23 Nov '11 02:34

No such thing as tikka masal?!?!?!? Are you mad?

Britains national dish!

wasnt it invented in Glasgow when a client complained that their tandoori chicken was too dry?
  15. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    23 Nov '11 03:32
    Getting Hungry and man I love the Brits LOL and yes McD's is a horrible Hamburger

http://sacramento.citysearch.com/profile/1207989/davis_ca/redrum_burger.html
    aka Murder Burger

http://www.thesqueezeinn.com/ This place literally started out as a hole in the wall.

http://www.in-n-out.com/ is decent also

Manny

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree