Americans, Brits & Food

Americans, Brits & Food

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
22 Nov 11

What the hell this has got to do with Spirituality I don't know, but where's all this anti-British rancour sprung from all of a sudden?

For your information, only France and Italy have more Michelin starred restaurants than the United Kingdom. It's impossible to get a better curry even in India than in the better quality British outlets. Frankly, the worst aspects of British cuisine are those we've imported from the US - a hamburger can be a thing of beauty and wonder, how the hell do American chains turn them into cardboard with additives?

Surely there's enough to argue about based purely on all of our ridiculous spiritual beliefs without resorting to ignorant, ill-informed bigotry?

rc

Moves
22 Nov 11

Originally posted by avalanchethecat
What the hell this has got to do with Spirituality I don't know, but where's all this anti-British rancour sprung from all of a sudden?

For your information, only France and Italy have more Michelin starred restaurants than the United Kingdom. It's impossible to get a better curry even in India than in the better quality British outlets. Frankly, ...[text shortened]... ll of our ridiculous spiritual beliefs without resorting to ignorant, ill-informed bigotry?
while i agree with your sentiments, one rarely gets an authentic curry from British
outlets unless one specifically asks for a staff curry. There is no such thing as a tikka
masala, its a purely Indian invention for the European market, chicken tikka is in fact a
portion of chicken , marinaded in spices and cooked dry in a tandoori oven. This is
compounded by the fact that in a restaurant every curry has the same base
ingredients and is simply a variation on a theme, add cream and its a korma, add
mango chutney and tomatoes sauce and its a pataya, etc etc For authentic Indian food
ones needs to marry an authentic Indian lady 😏

but yes, what have our American friends given us but blandess!

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
22 Nov 11

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
while i agree with your sentiments, one rarely gets an authentic curry from British
outlets unless one specifically asks for a staff curry. There is no such thing as a tikka
masala, its a purely Indian invention for the European market, chicken tikka is in fact a
portion of chicken , marinaded in spices and cooked dry in a tandoori oven. This ...[text shortened]... an authentic Indian lady 😏

You ain't ate my Texas chili yet partner...Lol

s

England

Moves
22 Nov 11
1 edit

talk about food on spirituality?? but here is my pennys worth: french bread best:
italian pizza best: idian curry best: egg fried rice best: yorkshire pudding best: mexican chilli best: american food well there is still time

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
22 Nov 11

Originally posted by stoker
talk about food on spirituality?? but here is my pennys worth: french bread best:
italian pizza best: idian curry best: egg fried rice best: yorkshire pudding best: mexican chilli best: american food well there is still time
We have it all here in America plus more.

F

Moves
22 Nov 11
1 edit

There is no such thing as a tikka masala, its a purely Indian invention for the European market, chicken tikka is in fact a portion of chicken , marinaded in spices and cooked dry in a tandoori oven.
There absolutely is such thing as a chicken tikka masala. It's an Indian invention. What an odd thing to seek to do, divesting Indian people of their culinary achievements, their inventiveness and adaptability, and their international impact! 😉

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
22 Nov 11

portion of chicken , marinaded in spices and cooked dry in a tandoori oven. This ...[text shortened]... an authentic Indian lady 😏

What makes cooking it in a tandoori oven any different than cooking it
in a regular oven?

s

Moves
23 Nov 11

Originally posted by avalanchethecat
....without resorting to ignorant, ill-informed bigotry?....
emmmm. . .

You do know you posted this on the Spirituality Forum, don't you?

rc

Moves
23 Nov 11

Originally posted by RJHinds
What makes cooking it in a tandoori oven any different than cooking it
in a regular oven?
a tandoori oven is heated with wood and charcoal and thus food cooked in it it has a smoky flavour.

rc

Moves
23 Nov 11

Originally posted by galveston75
You ain't ate my Texas chili yet partner...Lol
I believe, i believe! you guys got some serious chills down here.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
23 Nov 11

a tandoori oven is heated with wood and charcoal and thus food cooked in it it has a smoky flavour.
Like cooking on a charcoal grill?

rc

Moves
23 Nov 11

Originally posted by RJHinds
Like cooking on a charcoal grill?
no, a tandoori oven is closed over and the pieces of chicken are put into on a large
metal spit, a grill is different and the method itself is different and i think produces a
different kind of texture. You can also make nan breads in a tandoori oven, which
itself is quite an art form, for it means literally getting the dough and slapping it to the
side of the clay oven whilst it is hot.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
23 Nov 11

no, a tandoori oven is closed over and the pieces of chicken are put into on a large
metal spit, a grill is different and the method itself is different and i think produces a
different kind of texture. You can also make nan breads in a tandoori oven, which
itself is quite an art form, for it means literally getting the dough and slapping it to the
side of the clay oven whilst it is hot.
Thanks for the info. I guess I never had anything cooked like that then.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
23 Nov 11

No such thing as tikka masal?!?!?!? Are you mad?

Britains national dish!

wasnt it invented in Glasgow when a client complained that their tandoori chicken was too dry?

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
23 Nov 11

Getting Hungry and man I love the Brits LOL and yes McD's is a horrible Hamburger

http://sacramento.citysearch.com/profile/1207989/davis_ca/redrum_burger.html
aka Murder Burger

http://www.thesqueezeinn.com/ This place literally started out as a hole in the wall.

http://www.in-n-out.com/ is decent also

Manny