Americans, Brits & Food

Americans, Brits & Food

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

r
rvsakhadeo

India

Moves
27 Nov 11

Originally posted by RJHinds
No I have not. We have the India Cafe, Taj of India, and Bombay Central
Restaurant here. Since you recommend it I will ask my wife about going
to one the next time we go out to eat.
And don't forget to buy the Indian pickles from your food supermart ! You must try the Indian Mango Pickle ( it is actually raw mango pieces marinated in oil,chili,sugar and other spicy ingredients ) or Indian Lemon pickle or the Indian green chili pickle. If you have our south indian student community or Non Resident Indians belonging to south India are there in your place,the foodmarts must keeping bottles of a pickle called Vadu Mango pickle which a mango pickle with whole baby mangoes pickled in. Pickle should be used to season boiled plain rice and curds ( Yogurt may be too sour ) and any boiled lentil. Great vegetarian meal-- tasty and light on the stomach !

Moves
27 Nov 11

Originally posted by rvsakhadeo

iii) Using " Divide and Rule " principle to divide this great nation into Hindus and Muslims eventually leading to partition of India.[/b]
Considering India was originally divided (hence the different religions and languages in each region) this is unfair. Pakistan and Bangladesh was always going to break away, the only thing to complain about was in the fashion it was achieved, it's pretty clear Kashmir should be part of Pakistan.

r
rvsakhadeo

India

Moves
27 Nov 11

Originally posted by Trev33
Considering India was originally divided (hence the different religions and languages in each region) this is unfair. Pakistan and Bangladesh was always going to break away, the only thing to complain about was in the fashion it was achieved, it's pretty clear Kashmir should be part of Pakistan.
Encouraging divisiveness on the grounds of caste ( within Hindus ) and religion ( Hindu- Muslim division ) was a deliberate British policy to keep their enslaved nation in chains. The Indian Army as established by the British encouraged formations of troops based on castes and regions/religions e.g. Mahar Regiment, Maratha Regiment, Jat Regiment and Sikh regiment-- you get the idea. Lord Curzon bisected the province of Bengal into west bengal and east bengal purely on the basis of the religious divide-- the Hindu majority being in west bengal and the muslim majority being in east bengal. The provision of electorates for the provincial elections was also made on the basis of religion. Some constituencies were declared as reserved for muslims and so on. The British then ( just before independence ) brought out the clever idea of giving back the princely states to their petty kings and princes on the ground of " Legally proper thing to do " as if the British followed some law in conquering and subjugating India !! This made the petty princes like the ruler of Junagadh or Nizam of Hyderabad think that they could either merge with Pakistan or stay out of India. Murky and sad chapter of history further complicated by the greed of Congress party leaders to get that independence quickly and start ruling over India ! But why ,then you think that Kashmir should be a part of Pakistan ?

Moves
27 Nov 11

Encouraging divisiveness on the grounds of caste ( within Hindus ) and religion ( Hindu- Muslim division ) was a deliberate British policy to keep their enslaved nation in chains. The Indian Army as established by the British encouraged formations of troops based on castes and regions/religions e.g. Mahar Regiment, Maratha Regiment, Jat Regiment and Sikh ...[text shortened]... greed of Congress party leaders to get that independence quickly and start ruling over India !
Don't blame Brittan for your caste system, there was a caste system before the British arrived and there has been a caste system ever since they've left. I believe it was supposed to be Krishna who created the original caste system, blame him and yourselves if you want give blame for the caste system in India today.

The British didn't need any help creating divisions within the caste system they were already there, they might have exploited it but the higher ranked Indians have exploited the caste system for centuries so who can blame them?

'East Bengal' being Bangladesh today i assume? And rightfully so, it Pakistan and Kashmir have no right to be part of India. They belong in a Muslim state under Muslim law, the British did do a lot of good in India as you pointed out but they did make some mistakes, Kashmir not being included in Pakistan when it was granted its freedom being one of them. I've even come across some Indians with the same view.

rc

Moves
27 Nov 11

Don't blame Brittan for your caste system, there was a caste system before the British arrived and there has been a caste system ever since they've left. I believe it was supposed to be Krishna who created the original caste system, blame him and yourselves if you want give blame for the caste system in India today.

The British didn't need any help creatin ...[text shortened]... nted its freedom being one of them. I've even come across some Indians with the same view.
it's pretty clear Kashmir should be part of Pakistan

not according to the Kashmiris it shouldn't. They want to be autonomous.

rc

Moves
27 Nov 11

Encouraging divisiveness on the grounds of caste ( within Hindus ) and religion ( Hindu- Muslim division ) was a deliberate British policy to keep their enslaved nation in chains. The Indian Army as established by the British encouraged formations of troops based on castes and regions/religions e.g. Mahar Regiment, Maratha Regiment, Jat Regiment and Sikh ...[text shortened]... start ruling over India ! But why ,then you think that Kashmir should be a part of Pakistan ?
8 million Indians starved to death under the collectivisation system of the British in
India, this is shamefully unacceptable, but then again a proportionate number of Irish
also starved to death under British rule.

Moves
27 Nov 11

Originally posted by robbie carrobie

With the current problems in Pakistan some Pakistanis probably don't want to be part of Pakistan, doesn't deter from the fact that they should be.

rc

Moves
27 Nov 11

With the current problems in Pakistan some Pakistanis probably don't want to be part of Pakistan, doesn't deter from the fact that they should be.
yes but Kashmir has a long been a separate state, with their own language and culture
and despite having a Muslim majority have traditionally been ruled by Hindus. Some
part of Pakistan are ruled by the Pakistani government only in principle, the tribal
regions are practically self governing.

Moves
27 Nov 11

yes but Kashmir has a long been a separate state, with their own language and culture
and despite having a Muslim majority have traditionally been ruled by Hindus. Some
part of Pakistan are ruled by the Pakistani government only in principle, the tribal
regions are practically self governing.
How much conflict in the region do you think there would currently be in the region if Kashmir had originally been included in Pakistan?

BTW while we have the attention of a couple of posters from India... what is going on with the Rupee at the moment? It's trading at Rs80 for £1, that's nut... by design (given that it's calculated against various currencies) it's supposed to be stable at around RS70-75 per £1.

rc

Moves
27 Nov 11
3 edits

How much conflict in the region do you think there would currently be in the region if Kashmir had originally been included in Pakistan?

BTW while we have the attention of a couple of posters from India... what is going on with the Rupee at the moment? It's trading at Rs80 for £1, that's nut... by design (given that it's calculated against various currencies) it's supposed to be stable at around RS70-75 per £1.
the Kasmiris themselves get shafted by insurgents coming in from Pakistan and then
by the brutality of the Indian army, if they had been included in Pakistan, well its hard
to say, all the Kashmiris i have spoken to were deeply resentful when i asked if they
were Pakistani, one guy even shouted at me and a shopkeeper slammed his fist on the
counter, so i dunno, hard to say.

When i was in Pakistan the Pakistani rupee was trading for 70 for the pound, by the
time i had left it was trading at 90 now i think its depreciated to 135 rupees, in other
words, its value has halved. As for the India rupee i cannot say, there must be some
factors that have caused its depreciation.

Moves
27 Nov 11

the Kasmiris themselves get shafted by insurgents coming in from Pakistan and then
by the brutality of the Indian army, if they had been included in Pakistan, well its hard
to say, all the Kashmiris i have spoken to were deeply resentful when i asked if they
were Pakistani, one guy even shouted at me and a shopkeeper slammed his fist on the
c ...[text shortened]... or the India rupee i cannot say, there must be some
factors that have caused its depreciation.
I see Kashmir to be a bit like N. Ireland, had there been no vote and N.I been included in the Irish interdependency, wold we have went through the same BS to get back to British rule? Probably not. You can't break up a nation like that, culturally Kashmir belongs to Pakistan.

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=INR&view=10Y

I take it back... seems i seriously picked the wrong time to visit 😞

Immigration Central

tinyurl.com/muzppr8z

Moves
27 Nov 11

The British didn't need any help creatin ...[text shortened]... nted its freedom being one of them. I've even come across some Indians with the same view.
Lots of Nazi types including Anglo-Saxons take credit for the Indian caste system. It's part of their race mythology.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
28 Nov 11

So does Tibet. How's that working out?

rc

Moves
28 Nov 11

I see Kashmir to be a bit like N. Ireland, had there been no vote and N.I been included in the Irish interdependency, wold we have went through the same BS to get back to British rule? Probably not. You can't break up a nation like that, culturally Kashmir belongs to Pakistan.

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=INR&view=10Y

I take it back... seems i seriously picked the wrong time to visit 😞
mm, its an interesting analogy, but the Ulster men have been fighting the rest of
Ireland for zillions of years. way before the British. Kashmiris see themselves as
distinct from Indians and Pakistanis, its not quite the same in Ireland, where the North
shares the same language and culture as the south the divisions are religious. I have
not looked at Kashmir for ages but i think the controversy was that they were granted a
united nations mandate sanctioning a referendum for self autonomy which has kind of
been ignored by India and Pakistan or it could be that they have failed to get this
mandate, cant quite remember.

rc

Moves
28 Nov 11
3 edits

Originally posted by Suzianne
So does Tibet. How's that working out?
I dunno, China is too economically powerful to be upset me thinks. Remember that
American spy plane they captured, 'ummm, can we have our spy plane back please it
has some sensitive technological equipment we'd rather you didn't know about', LOL.