1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    06 Dec '11 03:29
    Originally posted by FMF
    Well clearly your U.S. party affiliation is not what is being referred to with this use of the word. A republican is someone who wants the head of state to be an elected president rather than a monarch. I am a republican in this sense.
    Okay, understood.
  2. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    06 Dec '11 13:23
    Originally posted by FMF
    Well clearly your U.S. party affiliation is not what is being referred to with this use of the word. A republican is someone who wants the head of state to be an elected president rather than a monarch. I am a republican in this sense.
    Assuming you are referring to UK politics here....

Why would you prefer an elected president (other option?) to our current monarchy?

What would we gain from this?

What great injustice is there that this would fix?

Do you look at presidential politics and think "yes we need some of that"?

Genuinely fascinated to understand what benefit you see to getting rid of the monarchy...

And yes, I am a Royalist. (or monarchist if you prefer)
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Dec '11 16:47
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Assuming you are referring to UK politics here....

Why would you prefer an elected president (other option?) to our current monarchy?

What would we gain from this?

What great injustice is there that this would fix?

Do you look at presidential politics and think "yes we need some of that"?

Genuinely fascinated to understand what benefit ...[text shortened]... e to getting rid of the monarchy...

And yes, I am a Royalist. (or monarchist if you prefer)
    I suggest you start a thread at Debates or Culture. Can't promise to join in though.
  4. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    06 Dec '11 20:02
    Originally posted by FMF
    I suggest you start a thread at Debates or Culture. Can't promise to join in though.
    Hmm I was curious but probably not that curious.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Dec '11 00:42
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Hmm I was curious but probably not that curious.
    Yes. Same for me. I am basically persuaded by the standard republican arguments and unmoved by the standard monarchist ones. As political reforms go, however, it's a long way down my wish list.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree