Americans, Brits & Food

Americans, Brits & Food

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

r
rvsakhadeo

India

Moves
26 Nov 11

Originally posted by shahenshah
Hallo Sir,
I wasn't aware of these two varieties, but I shall definitely try them!!

I haven't seen you posting for quite some time?
Thanks for noticing my absence ! Since you are an Indian, there should be no problem in buying a bottle of V. P. Bedekar & Sons green chili pickle !

r
rvsakhadeo

India

Moves
26 Nov 11

Originally posted by RJHinds
Being the hottest doesn't make it the best tasting chili.
Indian dishes vary in tastes from sweet to sour to salty to somewhat bitter to hot etc., as I am sure great dishes from all over the world do ! Indians do not relish-as a rule-excessively hot dishes involving excessive use of Chili. The chilis used in Indian food are hot but not excessively so. As a US citizen, you must be having bottled Indian green chili pickle available to you in your food super markets. Try it on your cheese toast ! It is a dryish seasoning, so if you do not like it try Indian Mango pickle or Indian Lemon pickle which have thick sauce like texture with pieces of marinated mango or lemons in it. I say you will never go back to sauces. All pickles use chili but mango and lemon pickles less so.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
26 Nov 11

Herbert W. Armstrong of the Worldwide Church of God wrote a book called
"The United States and Britain in Prophecy" in which he gives evidence for
his theory that the descendants of Ephraim and Menasseh established the
United States of America and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and
fulfilled the prophecies and blessings given to Jacob's son Joseph a ...[text shortened]... and the flag represents something of importance to me, especially
on this Thanksgiving Day.
What an absolute lunatic you are.

Moves
26 Nov 11

Originally posted by avalanchethecat
It's impossible to get a better curry even in India than in the better quality British outlets.
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL That's the most ignorant misinformed statement i've read in a long time.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
26 Nov 11

Originally posted by Trev33
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL That's the most ignorant misinformed statement i've read in a long time.
Or maybe it's a statement of personal preference?!

Moves
26 Nov 11

The question is "invented" by whom?
I heard that basmati rice is being patented as "Texmati rice" by a wily Texan!

IMHO, Samosas and Aloo paranthas was invented by God. No mere human could have invented such a delicious dish. 😛
If there is a god and the earth was created in 6 days the last invention was the masala dosa, god couldn't better complete perfection so rested.

Moves
26 Nov 11

Originally posted by Proper Knob
Or maybe it's a statement of personal preference?!
I doubt he has ever been to India so is not in a position to compare the two... i've heard this before from other misinformed people who are to stuck up their own asses to go to India and be proved wrong.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
26 Nov 11

I doubt he has ever been to India so is not in a position to compare the two... i've heard this before from other misinformed people who are to stuck up their own asses to go to India and be proved wrong.
I'm sure we'll find out in due course.

Moves
26 Nov 11

Robbie, that was, as you must be aware just a joke.

Unlike, some Indians, I am actually grateful for the British rule in India. While there were some bad things they did. They also did a lot of good, especially the missionaries... building schools, banning the inhumane practices such as Sati (widow burning), etc.

The system of governance is good b ...[text shortened]... so inherited British bureaucracy (spelling).

Did any of your relatives stay behind in India?
Don't forget the railway lines... best thing Britain did in India 🙂

Moves
26 Nov 11

It now costs Rs 25 to send a post-card abroad.

Unless the price has doubled in the past year it's Rs 12 in stamps to send abroad (and i send postcards to 3 continents)... well they charged me Rs 15 in Assam but it was Rs 12 everywhere else.

Moves
26 Nov 11

Christmas and Easter is firmly established (regardless of your religion).
hhmmm firmly established within the major cities maybe and probably only because of a christian minority... I spent last Christmas in Assam and if you didn't know Dec 25th was a christian holiday you wouldn't have known by looking around or talking to people.

Curiosity took me to Shillong in Meghalaya for a couple of days between Christmas and new year (a christian state for anyone else reading), that was surreal - not a word about Christmas other from friends and family abroad for weeks leading up to it and then BOOM!! western like Christmas lights all over the place.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
26 Nov 11

If there is a god and the earth was created in 6 days the last invention was the masala dosa, god couldn't better complete perfection so rested.
No, God rested after he created woman. He couldn't think of anything better
at the time. And I am almost certain it was a woman who invented the
masala dosa.

r
rvsakhadeo

India

Moves
27 Nov 11

No, God rested after he created woman. He couldn't think of anything better
at the time. And I am almost certain it was a woman who invented the
masala dosa.
Dear Sir, it is great to know that you refer to Masala Dosa. Have you actually tasted it ? If not, do it early at an Indian restaurant. Also highly recommended are its cousins,Paper Dosa and Rawa Masala Dosa. Paper Dosa is so called because the crust is paper thin. It is a big thing, about 45 cm ( one and half feet ) long and very crispy and tasty. The word Masala basically means a spice. Also used in the context of Dosas to mean a filling. The filling is usually potato pieces, boiled, fried in oil and green chili pieces. In the context of chicken tandoor masala, it means a thick gravy of tomatoes and onions.

r
rvsakhadeo

India

Moves
27 Nov 11

Don't forget the railway lines... best thing Britain did in India 🙂
Although my post is way off the OP, I can't help writing !
Let me summarise the advantages accrued to us Indians due to British rule and the disadvantages also.
Adv.:-
i) Establishment of a rule of law, based on well drafted Indian Penal Code, Civil Procedure Code and a thorough system of judiciary.
ii) An excellent system of Administration which could be relied upon by Her Majesty's subjects for looking after their interests within the limitations of them being " natives " and "subjects ".
iii) The setting up of Universities and institutions which were windows to the modern world and inculcated in the students a scientific outlook--one among several other advantages of this education.
iv) A systematic study of India as a " geography " i.e. the setting up of the Zoological Survey of India, Geological Survey of India, Botanical Survey of India, Great Trigonometric Survey of India.
v) The setting up of the Indian Railway System as well as establishing the Indian Posts and Telegraphs Dept. of India. Lord Dulhousie's noting on the the proposal of his subordinates reg. which gauge should be adopted for the Railways is still preserved in the Indian Railway Museum. It says that the widest gauge should be adopted for the Railways which will lead to greater quantity of transportated materials and passengers right at the outset shows the visionary and positive outlook of the British rulers.
vi) The transmission of the details of Indian civilisation and culture to the rest of the world.
The Disadvantages:-
i) Political subjugation of Indians including brutal suppression of the freedom movement.
ii) Economic Exploitation comprising of everything from outright looting ( e.g. Clive,Hastings et al ) to tricks like dumping coarse cloth made in Manchester from cheaply imported indian cotton ruining the indian handloom industry. The Dacca silk industry was finished as well as the native Leather Goods industry by the cheaper import substitutes.
iii) Using " Divide and Rule " principle to divide this great nation into Hindus and Muslims eventually leading to partition of India.
iv) Cultural emasculation by creating a slave class of " Babus" who will toady their British masters and hate everything indian, as per Lord McCaulay's plan.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
27 Nov 11

Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
Dear Sir, it is great to know that you refer to Masala Dosa. Have you actually tasted it ? If not, do it early at an Indian restaurant. Also highly recommended are its cousins,Paper Dosa and Rawa Masala Dosa. Paper Dosa is so called because the crust is paper thin. It is a big thing, about 45 cm ( one and half feet ) long and very crispy and tasty. The wo ...[text shortened]... pieces. In the context of chicken tandoor masala, it means a thick gravy of tomatoes and onions.
No I have not. We have the India Cafe, Taj of India, and Bombay Central
Restaurant here. Since you recommend it I will ask my wife about going
to one the next time we go out to eat.