Americans, Brits & Food

Americans, Brits & Food

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

r
rvsakhadeo

India

Moves
28 Nov 11

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
mm, its an interesting analogy, but the Ulster men have been fighting the rest of
Ireland for zillions of years. way before the British. Kashmiris see themselves as
distinct from Indians and Pakistanis, its not quite the same in Ireland, where the North
shares the same language and culture as the south the divisions are religious. I have
no ...[text shortened]... ia and Pakistan or it could be that they have failed to get this
mandate, cant quite remember.
Nehru, our great prime minister, approached the UN, at the instigation of Lord Mountbatten, for the resolution of the question, when most of the Kashmir valley was cleared of the pathan tribals, irregulars, regular units of the Pak army by the Indian army. Then the UN adopted a resolution asking India to hold a plebiscite in Kashmir to let the Kashmiris decide where they wanted go-to Pak or to India or stay independent. India pointed out that Kashmir was not yet cleared of the invaders and plebiscite cannot be held by India under these circumstances. This resolution has since been allowed to lapse by the UN. Meanwhile Pak has already gifted a part of occupied Kashmir to China, its all weather friend.

s

Moves
28 Nov 11

Originally posted by Trev33
If there is a god and the earth was created in 6 days the last invention was the masala dosa, god couldn't better complete perfection so rested.
Trev,
The masala dosa is delicious. If then it was invented by God
then perhaps Samosas and aloo paranthas were invented by the devil for its additive and fattening power LOL πŸ˜€

s

Moves
28 Nov 11

Don't forget the railway lines... best thing Britain did in India πŸ™‚
Oops, I forgot about the shame of "untouchability"....

s

Moves
28 Nov 11

Unless the price has doubled in the past year it's Rs 12 in stamps to send abroad (and i send postcards to 3 continents)... well they charged me Rs 15 in Assam but it was Rs 12 everywhere else.
Trev,
I just went to the post-office. They say it is Rs 25 for an envelope and a page or greeting card inside it. Perhaps post-cards are cheaper. They say it is likely to increase.

r
rvsakhadeo

India

Moves
28 Nov 11

Don't blame Brittan for your caste system, there was a caste system before the British arrived and there has been a caste system ever since they've left. I believe it was supposed to be Krishna who created the original caste system, blame him and yourselves if you want give blame for the caste system in India today.

The British didn't need any help creatin ...[text shortened]... nted its freedom being one of them. I've even come across some Indians with the same view.
I am not blaming the British for the caste system of the Hindus. That was a bane of our society since long but has weakened considerably now. I am amazed that you hold that Lord Krishna, whom we consider to be the incarnation of God, is said to be responsible for the caste system !! Where or from whom did you get this monstrous piece of dirt ? By the way, as I already have posted, the British had left it to the rulers of the princely states to decide whether they wanted to stay independent or to merge with India or merge with Pakistan on the 15 th of August 1947. The ruler of Kashmir opted for Independent status. Pakistan did not like this and soon after invaded Kashmir with units of Pak army, pathan tribals and other irregulars. The ruler then approached govt.of India who agreed to drive out the invaders provided an instrument of accession was signed. This document provided for some degree of autonomy for Kashmir.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
28 Nov 11

I doubt he has ever been to India so is not in a position to compare the two... i've heard this before from other misinformed people who are to stuck up their own asses to go to India and be proved wrong.
I can only tell you that of the many, many curries I have eaten in various countries, four of the best five were cooked in Britain. That is not to say that I didn't enjoy those I ate in India, but I generally found them to be overly hot there.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
29 Nov 11

Originally posted by Suzianne
So does Tibet. How's that working out?
Obviously not well while it's spiritual/governmental leader is in exile still πŸ™

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
29 Nov 11
2 edits

Originally posted by avalanchethecat
I can only tell you that of the many, many curries I have eaten in various countries, four of the best five were cooked in Britain. That is not to say that I didn't enjoy those I ate in India, but I generally found them to be overly hot there.
Sounds like my type of curry πŸ™‚

Over here, when you are asked whether you would like your takeaway (Indian) curry mild,medium or hot, most people who dont like hot food will ask for "mild". (Even "mild" is quite hot for western palettes. ) In fact , it's best to avoid Indian curries altogether if you dont like hot food. I can only imagine how hot the curries would be in India πŸ™‚

So you been to India ,eh? how was your experience of it overall? Would you mind giving us a few lines about it please?

s

Moves
29 Nov 11
1 edit

Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
Dear Sir, it is great to know that you refer to Masala Dosa. Have you actually tasted it ? If not, do it early at an Indian restaurant. Also highly recommended are its cousins,Paper Dosa and Rawa Masala Dosa. Paper Dosa is so called because the crust is paper thin. It is a big thing, about 45 cm ( one and half feet ) long and very crispy and tasty. The wo ...[text shortened]... pieces. In the context of chicken tandoor masala, it means a thick gravy of tomatoes and onions.
Sir, the paper roasts in the South are much longer... two to three feet! Hah, and it was invented in the South, you must admit! 😠

You forgot about the ghee (melted butter) dosa..... mmm delicious.

Mr Hinds is probably right, it must have been invented by a lady.... we men are too dumb. πŸ˜•

BTW, I couldn't get the green chili sauce you mentioned, but another brand "Weikfield" made in Pune was available. Really hot :'(

s

Moves
29 Nov 11
2 edits

@ Robbie.... "it's pretty clear Kashmir should be part of Pakistan " ..... Really McSpanky ( sorry Robbie, but I've been waiting so long to use your "spanky" word against someone else and when I finally got the chance ... it is against you!). Are you serious or was this just to goad the Indian fellow?
@ Trev - I plan to take a trip abroad next year and when I pass through Ireland, I shall visit you and drop an old map or an Encyclopedia (Britannica) on your head, which shows Kashmir was always part of India. (BTW it also included Burma I think) Then hop over to Scotland and do the same with the MacGregor fella.
@Suzianne - It is my understanding that the Chinese govt had sent in Chinese people to settle there (Ethinic cleansing by overcrowding). Even if the Chinese govt didn't do that, the Chinese people will and do come into Tibet and India. They find jobs as security guards, labourers, for them it is a freer society and mainland China.

Okay, seriously now... my views are that this Kashmir and the Ireland problem are all fed / inflamed by local politicians. If you take an Indian, Pakistani and Bangladeshi and drop them in Africa or any other place in the world, they will be the best of friends and are least concerned about the differences in countries, religions, etc.

@rvsakhadeo - Sir have you noticed that if you take an Indian from India and drop him in any other country, he will immediately become a model citizen and stop pissing on the roadside, defacating on the bylanes/bushes and picking his nose in public? Why is that? But when he returns back to his country, he turns overnight into the same fellow that he was before πŸ˜€

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
29 Nov 11

Originally posted by shahenshah
@ Robbie.... "it's pretty clear Kashmir should be part of Pakistan " ..... Really McSpanky ( sorry Robbie, but I've been waiting so long to use your "spanky" word against someone else and when I finally got the chance ... it is against you!)
@ Trev - I plan to take a trip abroad next year and when I pass through Ireland, I shall visit you and drop an o ...[text shortened]... st of friends and are least concerned about the differences in countries, religions, etc.
So, as usual, the wars are just there to sell guns, 'n' other military hardware?

s

Moves
29 Nov 11
1 edit

Originally posted by karoly aczel
So, as usual, the wars are just there to sell guns, 'n' other military hardware?
Sometimes yes,
sometimes due to the incompetance of politicians and diplomats and
sometimes for/ to protect ideas / notions such are freedom,
sometimes to protect a people from genocide.

India should go to war against the Aussies because
they beat us at cricket and the other national past-time of Australia - beating up Indian students πŸ˜‰

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
29 Nov 11

Sometimes yes,
sometimes due to the incompetance of politicians and diplomats and
sometimes for/ to protect ideas / notions such are freedom,
sometimes to protect a people from genocide.

India should go to war against the Aussies because
they beat us at cricket and the other national past-time of Australia - beating up Indian students πŸ˜‰
That's it mate-IT's ON!!! (you and me, behind the toilets😠 😠 )

(although i have to admit the aussie team is in a re-building phase at the moment , and it remains to be seen if they are as good as India (in test cricket) yet)

Moves
29 Nov 11
1 edit

Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
I am amazed that you hold that Lord Krishna, whom we consider to be the incarnation of God, is said to be responsible for the caste system !! Where or from whom did you get this monstrous piece of dirt ?
A quick google search...

http://yugalsarkarradhakrishna.blogspot.com/2011/02/caste-system-is-created-by-krishna.html

http://krishna.org/the-horrible-indian-caste-system/

And my personal favorite

http://indiafirsthand.com/2010/09/15/lord-krishna-and-caste-system-in-india/

Lord Krishna says in the Bhagavad Gita that “I created the castes, the caste system is created by me through the distribution of Gunas (tendencies, qualification or quality) and Karma (action, deed, work), meaning that according to what we do in this world here, so will our character be. Though I am the Creator of these things, do not think that I am partial, that I am taking sides, that I am performing actions; I am beyond the Gunas”.

I don't know what i find more sickening, the caste system or your lack of knowledge of it.

Moves
29 Nov 11

@ Trev - I plan to take a trip abroad next year and when I pass through Ireland, I shall visit you and drop an old map or an Encyclopedia (Britannica) on your head, which shows Kashmir was always part of India. (BTW it also included Burma I think)
India wasn't always part of India πŸ˜›

Just because something is apart of something doesn't mean it belongs there...