Any LDS people around? I am.

Any LDS people around? I am.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

g

Pepperland

Moves
25 Jul 09

Originally posted by whiteknight26
How do you know the story's made up?
how do you know the story is true?

w

Moves
25 Jul 09

Originally posted by generalissimo
how do you know the story is true?
I asked you first 😛

g

Pepperland

Moves
25 Jul 09

I asked you first 😛
it isn't true because it is incredibly unlikely.

J. smith was either a lunatic, or a charlatan who wanted to have control over people and chose religion as a tool.

he would fall into the category of false prophets, described in the bible.

w

Moves
25 Jul 09

it isn't true because it is incredibly unlikely.

J. smith was either a lunatic, or a charlatan who wanted to have control over people and chose religion as a tool.

he would fall into the category of false prophets, described in the bible.
My mistake then. I didn't realize you knew him that well.

g

Pepperland

Moves
25 Jul 09

My mistake then. I didn't realize you knew him that well.
you don't have to know him personally, you just have to look at his actions.

w

Moves
25 Jul 09

you don't have to know him personally, you just have to look at his actions.
What actions have you seen him do then?

g

Pepperland

Moves
25 Jul 09

What actions have you seen him do then?
he created a cult based on lies, whose intention was to control people.

thats what he did.

w

Moves
25 Jul 09

he created a cult based on lies, whose intention was to control people.

thats what he did.
I see - so you have no evidence to support this claim or anything. Only a huge assumption based on lack of evidence.

Can you prove a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is being controlled. Can you prove any of the lies you mentioned or is this only your opinion?

g

Pepperland

Moves
25 Jul 09

I see - so you have no evidence to support this claim or anything. Only a huge assumption based on lack of evidence.

Can you prove a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is being controlled. Can you prove any of the lies you mentioned or is this only your opinion?
you don't think he created a cult based on lies?

Can you prove a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is being controlled

yes, they were taught to believe the lies of the book of mormon.

brainwashing in other words.

w

Moves
25 Jul 09

you don't think he created a cult based on lies?

[b]Can you prove a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is being controlled

yes, they were taught to believe the lies of the book of mormon.

brainwashing in other words.[/b]
That's not proof - that is an opinion of yours. Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints obviously believe in the Book of Mormon as well as the Bible. That's not being controlled. That is just their beliefs just like you have your own beliefs. Are you being controlled?

g

Pepperland

Moves
25 Jul 09

That's not proof - that is an opinion of yours. Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints obviously believe in the Book of Mormon as well as the Bible. That's not being controlled. That is just their beliefs just like you have your own beliefs. Are you being controlled?
Ok, today's mormons may not be controlled, but the intention of the cult was to brainwash people, like I said, he was either a charlatan or a lunatic with a serious case of mental illness.

Beliefs are not exactly true. I can believe that there is a giant rabbit in the sky, it doesn't mean its true. You can believe in the book of mormon, but that doesn't mean its true.

w

Moves
25 Jul 09

Ok, today's mormons may not be controlled, but the intention of the cult was to brainwash people, like I said, he was either a charlatan or a lunatic with a serious case of mental illness.

Beliefs are not exactly true. I can believe that there is a giant rabbit in the sky, it doesn't mean its true. You can believe in the book of mormon, but that doesn't mean its true.
I see your point, but that doesn't mean it's not true either. 😛

g

Pepperland

Moves
25 Jul 09
1 edit

I see your point, but that doesn't mean it's not true either. 😛
It is what it is, a cult, a mockery of real christianity.

hypothetical situation:
what if I claimed to have seen Jesus, and he had allegedly told me that I should be the ruler of the world.

would you believe me as well? because it "could be true"?

P

weedhopper

Moves
25 Jul 09

I dated a young lady in college who was a Mormon. She claimed to have been excommunicated because she had sexual relations with a young man while both were unmarried. She gotr pregnant and excomm'ed; he did not. Now, this was what she told me, and there are many sides to any story. Naturally, I am/was sympathetic to her, knowing the few facts in the case. On the other hand, my church at the time (a United Methodist) was in the minority in our area as accepting the Church of LDS as a true Christian Church. There are many here in S.Carolina who lump Mormons with "cult worshippers" and say that the Christ they worship is NOT the Christ of the Bible. These are the same people who point out that they place the Book of Mormon in as high regard AS the Bible itself, so of course, that ticks a lot of fundamentalists off. I won't even get into the more obscure points of their belief system, mainly because I'd be a poor reference guide. I heard that Dan Rather told us that they believe that some Mormons become deities in the afterlife, with their own planet(s) to rule.
All this gets too deep for my puny philosophy; my only question of Mormons is "Do they believe that Jesus was THE ONLY Son of God and that He is the only way to salvation (heaven, a pleasant afterlife, yadaydadyada)?" If the answer is "yes", I'd say that makes them Christian. Of course, as Dennis Miller wo9uld say, I could be wrong.

w

Moves
25 Jul 09

It is what it is, a cult, a mockery of real christianity.

hypothetical situation:
what if I claimed to have seen Jesus, and he had allegedly told me that I should be the ruler of the world.

would you believe me as well? because it "could be true"?
Well –big surprise here – I have a confession to make. I am LDS. I guess you didn’t see that one coming. 😛

I don’t believe everything because it might be true. I’ll give a straight yes or no answer here to play upon the hypothetical aspect.
My answer would be ‘no’. I wouldn’t believe you.
😛