Any LDS people around? I am.

Any LDS people around? I am.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

L

Corner Brook NFLD CA

Moves
05 Sep 06
1 edit

I kind of feel inadequate to explain all these questions, so a friend of mine is going to help me out. He won't be on for a while though.

L

Corner Brook NFLD CA

Moves
15 Jul 09
1 edit

lol, I posted this when I was 14 XD Wow, it's been a while. I understand my own religion a lot better now. 😀

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
16 Jul 09

I actually read the book of Mormon. I remember reading about the laminites & nephites ( LOL Sorry if I got it wrong ) That is I believe where Mormons got the idea about black people not being able to be priest or something. They fought each other and one of the groups became cursed so it read with black skin. When Mormons come to my door I always ask them where is the archaeological evidence for these great civilizations that were here in the Americas? They really don't have an answer. I think one group sited the Mayans but that don't fit the Mormon description. I also grew up with a bunch of Mormons. One of my best childhood friends was a Mormon. His parents were hypocrites they would tell him he could not have pepsi but his mom had hella pepsi in their garage. He ended up on drugs all screwed up. I think he finally got it all back together but I think it was partially due to his whacky parents.

Manny

g

Pepperland

Moves
16 Jul 09

Originally posted by LinkHyrule
lol, I posted this when I was 14 XD Wow, it's been a while. I understand my own religion a lot better now. 😀
what is there to understand about mormons?

is it that you can get away with the most ridiculous made up story you could ever imagine and even have it recognised as a religion?

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
16 Jul 09

Originally posted by generalissimo
what is there to understand about mormons?

is it that you can get away with the most ridiculous made up story you could ever imagine and even have it recognised as a religion?
Most religions are filled with ridiculous [at least, when taken as actual historical fact] made-up stories. Mormons are only following suit.

g

Pepperland

Moves
17 Jul 09

Originally posted by SwissGambit
Most religions are filled with ridiculous [at least, when taken as actual historical fact] made-up stories. Mormons are only following suit.
well, christianity is not as unbelievable as golden plates (who nobody ever saw, apart from smith) and an angel called moroni (a code for moron?) and the story of how jesus appeared in america.

without mentioning the other ridiculous things they say about native americans.

Child of the Novelty

San Antonio, Texas

Moves
17 Jul 09

Originally posted by whodey
Do you believe what the Bible says? If so, how do you respond to this verse in Revelation 22:18? "For I testify unto every man that hears the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall ADD to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book." So what of the book of Mormon? How can John Smith add to the Bible and not escape condemnation if this scripture is true?
I have a response and it just might be significant. For the past 1800 years a deliberate mistranslation of the Christian bible existed. The greatest virtue was stated as love when it actually is charity. Just where are those so-called plagues??
One thing that both the Book of Mormon and the New and Old Testament prove conclusively is that people in the Middle East talked like Shakespeare for the past 4000 years.
I have read the entire Book of Mormon and now am waiting for the discovery of those ancient cities in the Americas or even just remnants of the metals which it claims were mined. None have been found.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
17 Jul 09

Originally posted by generalissimo
well, christianity is not as unbelievable as golden plates (who nobody ever saw, apart from smith) and an angel called moroni (a code for moron?) and the story of how jesus appeared in america.

without mentioning the other ridiculous things they say about native americans.
You're used to the Christian myths. That's why they don't seem as outlandish.

To follow the bible as history, we're asked to accept all this:
-God creates people
-God finds fault with all of them
-God drowns all of them but one family
-God says, "oops, that was pretty mean of me" - promises to never do it again
-God turns Jewish supremacist, picking them as his preferred race
-But they are really no better than any other people, so God alternates between punishing them [i.e., killing them by the thousands] and punishing their enemies [i.e., killing them by the thousands, usually by the hand of the 'chosen'].
-God decides that all these violent tales are bad for the reputation, so he sends his son down to be murdered to 'absolve' people, somehow [don't ask how - just chalk it up to a strange 'innocent blood spilling' fetish]
-God, however, still likes punishing people, and the old-style killings no longer sate the appetite - so he comes up with a new punishment - hell - a fate worse than death
-John 1:1 declares that "God IS love" - not just "God has a loving side to his nature", or "God loves his followers" - but IS love. This in spite of his above noted preference for harsh punishments and his blood fetishes

Completely unbelievable, this.

d

Moves
17 Jul 09

-God creates people
-God turns Jewish supremacist, pick ...[text shortened]... or harsh punishments and his blood fetishes

Why don't you read the New Testament and tell me that "God Is Love" is false.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
17 Jul 09

Originally posted by daniel58
Why don't you read the New Testament and tell me that "God Is Love" is false.
Perhaps you missed it, but the most damning things on my list come from the New Testament.

d

Moves
17 Jul 09

Perhaps you missed it, but the most damning things on my list come from the New Testament.
Right Christ condemned those that needed to be but if you can't "see" that "God Is Love" in there, then you've got some serious problems.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
17 Jul 09
1 edit

Originally posted by daniel58
Right Christ condemned those that needed to be but if you can't "see" that "God Is Love" in there, then you've got some serious problems.
So, you think sending people to hell and tormenting them for eternity is the action of a 'loving' being?

Yeah, maybe in bizarro-land.

bizarro-love n.
1. The state of caring for someone so much that you will ensure they are tormented for all time if they fail to return your affection.

You have a world that's roughly 1/3 christian now. That means the other 2/3 aren't 'saved'. Your God has FAILED on a grand scale - 2 out of 3 people are going to be condemned.

d

Moves
18 Jul 09

So, you think sending people to hell and tormenting them for eternity is the action of a 'loving' being?

[b]bizarro-love
n.
1. The state of caring for someone so much that you will ensure they are tormented for all time if they fail to return your affection.

You have a world that's roughly 1/3 christian now. Tha ...[text shortened]... aved'. Your God has FAILED on a grand scale - 2 out of 3 people are going to be condemned.[/b]
No God does all He can to SAVE souls from hell, but they refuse to listen, or obey Him, He doesn't send them they go themselves, of their own free-will.

No not necessarily, they could convert, you never know.

g

Pepperland

Moves
18 Jul 09

-God creates people
-God turns Jewish supremacist, pick ...[text shortened]... or harsh punishments and his blood fetishes

They're not meant to be taken literally.

g

Pepperland

Moves
18 Jul 09

[b]bizarro-love
n.

You have a world that's roughly 1/3 christian now. Tha ...[text shortened]... aved'. Your God has FAILED on a grand scale - 2 out of 3 people are going to be condemned.[/b]
its very easy to attack the strawman.