1. SubscriberPianoman1
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Moves
    17 Dec '17 15:06
    Originally posted by @kellyjay
    Its all about faith, so I tend to agree with you. I cannot prove what I believe, there is
    always room for doubt. If I knew than it wouldn't be faith, it would be knowledge. I have in
    my life had experiences that give me glimpses into what I have to say this is beyond the
    natural, but they give no "proof" to others they are only part of my testimony, which again
    if believed have to be taken on faith.
    Ah, faith. That word whose meaning slips through the fingers like quicksand. As Martin Luther said: 'Resason is the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things, but more frequently than not struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that comes from God.'
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    17 Dec '17 15:34
    Originally posted by @pianoman1
    Ah, faith. That word whose meaning slips through the fingers like quicksand. As Martin Luther said: 'Resason is the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things, but more frequently than not struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that comes from God.'
    Actually I disagree, only blind faith would reject reasoning. All things that we hold true we do with cause and cause has a reason. Simply because I cannot prove something doesn’t mean I can’t believe it to be true, and as important simply because we believe our reasons are truthful doesn’t mean that they are. This brings us back to faith which sole existence doesn’t just revolve around God.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Dec '17 15:52
    Originally posted by @kellyjay
    Actually I disagree, only blind faith would reject reasoning. All things that we hold true we do with cause and cause has a reason. Simply because I cannot prove something doesn’t mean I can’t believe it to be true, and as important simply because we believe our reasons are truthful doesn’t mean that they are. This brings us back to faith which sole existence doesn’t just revolve around God.
    Are you intending on ignoring me in 2018 or would you like to discuss a truce of some sort? (Not that I feel like we fight much anyway)
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    17 Dec '17 15:55
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    What “choice” is it you are talking about? You are creating a false dichotomy.
    The choice of believing that there is a god or that there is no god.

If you ate going to have an opinion about the purpose of life or the reality of this existence you must decide if you are going to act as a theist or atheist.

You can be open minded and be open to having your opinion change but you must choose a side to form an opinion.

I have not run into a person who has not taken a side.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    17 Dec '17 15:56
    Originally posted by @pianoman1
    Reason applied to the natural will obviously be in opposition to God.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Dec '17 15:581 edit
    Originally posted by @eladar
    The choice of believing that there is a god or that there is no god
    If a person doesn’t believe that there any God, how would you as a Christian personally convince them overwise?
  7. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    17 Dec '17 15:59
    I said it was possible to be an agnostic. I just said I have never run into one.
    Yes, and i'm saying it is more than possible. Agnostics are 10 a penny, even in this forum.

I suspect you run it to them regularly, just don't listen to what they have to say.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    17 Dec '17 17:02
    If a person doesn’t believe that there any God, how would you as a Christian personally convince them overwise?
    I would not. Each person is only responsible to God. I let people deal with such issues themselves. I have no need to dominate others.
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    17 Dec '17 17:03
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Yes, and i'm saying it is more than possible. Agnostics are 10 a penny, even in this forum.

I suspect you run it to them regularly, just don't listen to what they have to say.
    You are talking about atheists in denial. Somehow it makes them feel better to put their head in the sand.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Dec '17 17:041 edit
    I would not. Each person is only responsible to God. I let people deal with such issues themselves. I have no need to dominate others.
    Can you provide any evidence at all that would help someone come to the conclusion that God exists?
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    17 Dec '17 17:10
    Can you provide any evidence at all that would help someone come to the conclusion that God exists?
    Only God can open eyes. The evidence surrounds us for those who have eyes.

Seeing as you are blind I doubt you understand.

From your perspective the answer is no.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Dec '17 17:25
    Only God can open eyes.
    Agreed, “only god can open eyes”

So how does this fit with your claim that people can somehow “choose”?
  13. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    17 Dec '17 17:58
    Agreed, “only god can open eyes”

So how does this fit with your claim that people can somehow “choose”?
    I think we can choose to either seek God or not. Those that seek Him with all their heart will find Him. But to find Him, God has to open your ‘eyes’. If you truly seek Him, He will open your eyes to the truth.
  14. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    17 Dec '17 18:01
    You are talking about atheists in denial. Somehow it makes them feel better to put their head in the sand.
    Sorry can't hear you. (Due to your own head being in the sand).

Our friend, Mr Z, says it is impossible to know if God exists or not and remains uncertain. So what is he if not an agnostic?!? Atheist?.....No. Mr Z is perfectly open to the idea that God exists. Theist then?....No. Mr Z is perfectly open to the conclusion that God doesn't exist.

Mr Z is an agnostic. Deal with it.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Dec '17 18:18
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    I think we can choose to either seek God or not. Those that seek Him with all their heart will find Him. But to find Him, God has to open your ‘eyes’. If you truly seek Him, He will open your eyes to the truth.
    Seeking is not believing.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree