1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    17 Dec '17 02:511 edit
    ag·nos·tic
    aɡˈnästik/
    noun
    a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God.

a·the·ist
    ˈāTHēəst/
    noun
    a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.
    "he is a committed atheist"

I do not think that I have actually encountered an agnostic on the internet or in person. Everyone I have ever come into contact with who claimed to be an agnostic has been an atheist.

Just because you would change your mind about the existence of God should you see God does not mean you do not believe god is a fairy tale until then. As long as you believe that god is a fairy tale you are an atheist.

Accept it.
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    17 Dec '17 03:26
    Originally posted by @eladar
    ag·nos·tic
    aɡˈnästik/
    noun
    a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God.

a·the·ist
    ˈāTHēəst/
    noun
    "he is a committed atheist" ...[text shortened]... le until then. As long as you believe that god is a fairy tale you are an atheist.

Accept it.
    Everyone is either a theist or an atheist. It's one or the other. If you do not self-identify as a theist, then by default you are an atheist. Agnostics do not exist as a separate category. One is either an agnostic theist, or an agnostic atheist.
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    17 Dec '17 05:29
    ag·nos·tic
    aɡˈnästik/
    noun

a·the·ist
    ˈāTHēəst/
    noun
    "he is a committed atheist" ...[text shortened]... le until then. As long as you believe that god is a fairy tale you are an atheist.

Accept it.
    "ˈāTHēəst/
    noun
    a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods."

"Everyone I have ever come into contact with who claimed to be an agnostic has been an atheist."

Well that part about "or lacks belief" fits me. But call me whatever you want, so long as it's not slanderous.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 Dec '17 06:372 edits
    Two kinds of agnostics:

Soft Agnostic - " I don't know God. Maybe somebody else does know God."

Hard Agnostic - " I don't know God. And nobody else knows God either."

My perception of a characteristic of a New Atheist - An old atheist who realizes that philosophical debates between atheists and theists didn't have the atheist come out so clearly the victor. So the definition of Atheism is modified so as to remove all burden of presenting a truth claim away from the atheist.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    17 Dec '17 06:47
    Originally posted by @rwingett
    Everyone is either a theist or an atheist. It's one or the other. If you do not self-identify as a theist, then by default you are an atheist. Agnostics do not exist as a separate category. One is either an agnostic theist, or an agnostic atheist.
    I suppose someone could be an agnostic but I have never seen such a person.

An agnostic would have to claim neither accepting there is a God nor can the agnostic deny there is a god even in his own mind. Both sides need to be equally accepted and rejected. Yet everyone picks one side of the fence.
  6. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    17 Dec '17 08:00
    I suppose someone could be an agnostic but I have never seen such a person.

An agnostic would have to claim neither accepting there is a God nor can the agnostic deny there is a god even in his own mind. Both sides need to be equally accepted and rejected. Yet everyone picks one side of the fence.
    You merely over-complicate by setting such qualifiers. It is not necessary to be perfectly balanced between belief and disbelief to be considered an agnostic.

Mr X believes there is sufficient reason to believe in a deity. Mr X is a theist.
    Mr Y believes there is insufficient or no reason to believe in a deity. Mr Y is an atheist.
    Mr Z believes it is not possible to know either way. There might be, there might not be. Mr Z is an agnostic, and what's more, he is not alone. Far from it.

Agnosticism has nothing to do with 'knowing' God.(Such terminology from sonship is heavily tainted by his own theistic outlook). It is a question about God's 'actual existence' not a default assumption He exists but may or may not be known to people.
  7. SubscriberPianoman1
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Moves
    17 Dec '17 11:05
    ag·nos·tic
    aɡˈnästik/
    noun

a·the·ist
    ˈāTHēəst/
    noun

Accept it.
    Everyone is deep down agnostic.
    How can it be otherwise?
    Unless God were to announce himself in clouds of glory and heavenly choirs of angels, no one truly knows.
    Even the most committed theist has doubts. Therefore, he is agnostic.
    Even the most committed atheist has to leave a minute percentage to allow for the possibility of his existence.
    The problem is that everyone thinks they know and off they go on their white charger fighting for their cause.
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    17 Dec '17 13:13
    Originally posted by @pianoman1
    How can it be otherwise?
    Unless God were to announce himself in clouds of glory and heavenly choirs of angels, no one truly knows.
    Even the most committed atheist has to leave a minute percentage to allow for the possibility of his existence.
    The pro ...[text shortened]... that everyone thinks they know and off they go on their white charger fighting for their cause.
    Its all about faith, so I tend to agree with you. I cannot prove what I believe, there is
    always room for doubt. If I knew than it wouldn't be faith, it would be knowledge. I have in
    my life had experiences that give me glimpses into what I have to say this is beyond the
    natural, but they give no "proof" to others they are only part of my testimony, which again
    if believed have to be taken on faith.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Dec '17 14:021 edit
    Originally posted by @kellyjay
    Its all about faith, so I tend to agree with you. I cannot prove what I believe, there is
    always room for doubt. If I knew than it wouldn't be faith, it would be knowledge.
    What a peculiar 'supernatural' mechanism for deciding who gets burned, non-stop, forever, and who gets immortality. But at least you are conceding that you don't have knowledge about it, and only have faith.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    17 Dec '17 14:10
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    You merely over-complicate by setting such qualifiers. It is not necessary to be perfectly balanced between belief and disbelief to be considered an agnostic.

Mr X believes there is sufficient reason to believe in a deity. Mr X is a theist.
    Mr Y believes there is insufficient or no reason to believe in a deity. Mr Y is an atheist.
    Mr Z believes ...[text shortened]... d's 'actual existence' not a default assumption He exists but may or may not be known to people.
    I said it was possible to be an agnostic. I just said I have never run into one.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Dec '17 14:12
    Originally posted by @fmf
    What a peculiar 'supernatural' mechanism for deciding who gets burned, non-stop, forever, and who gets immortality.
    This idea that because of an intangible god given thing called “faith”, that some people will be supernaturally kept alive in eternal bliss, while other people who do not have god given “faith” will be supernaturally burnt alive for the same eternity, while Jesus is being worshiped by the former group and simultaneously supervising the the later in hell...has got to be the most horrendous and yet ridiculous concept ever invented. Expecting non-believers to somehow be convinced of God’s existence and want to love him, because of this concept, is the second most ridiculous concept ever invented.
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    17 Dec '17 14:13
    Originally posted by @pianoman1
    How can it be otherwise?
    The pro ...[text shortened]... that everyone thinks they know and off they go on their white charger fighting for their cause.
    How can it be otherwise?

You confuse being open minded or having doubt with held belief. No one knows anything as absolute fact, yet we make decisions and move along.

The Agnostic has decided not to make a choice.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Dec '17 14:192 edits
    Originally posted by @kellyjay
    always room for doubt. If I knew than it wouldn't be faith, it would be knowledge. I have in
    my life had experiences that give me glimpses into what I have to say this is beyond the
    natural, but they give no "proof" to others they are only part of my testimony, which again
    if believed have to be taken on faith.
    Your “testimony” as you choose to call it, is a construct of what you do and why you do it, i.e. your beliefs/doctrines. Telling someone that you have chosen to believe a horrible thing is part of your “testimony”. Telling people that you believe that Jesus will burn them alive forever if they don’t believe in him and love him is beyond ridiculous. Can you not see this?

Edit: the doctrine of eternal suffering CANNOT be right. It simply doesn’t make moral sense on any level.
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    17 Dec '17 14:19
    How can it be otherwise?

You confuse being open minded or having doubt with held belief. No one knows anything as absolute fact, yet we make decisions and move along.

They make choices, standing on the right side, the left side, to straddling the middle are all
    choices.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Dec '17 14:21
    How can it be otherwise?

What “choice” is it you are talking about? You are creating a false dichotomy.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree