1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    17 Dec '17 18:23
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Sorry can't hear you. (Due to your own head being in the sand).

Our friend, Mr Z, says it is impossible to know if God exists or not and remains uncertain. So what is he if not an agnostic?!? Atheist?.....No. Mr Z is perfectly open to the idea that God exists. Theist then?....No. Mr Z is perfectly open to the conclusion that God doesn't exist.

Mr Z is an agnostic. Deal with it.
    If Mr. Z is able to say that he has no opinion about the nature of truth and reality then Mr. Z would be an Agnostic.

Until then this Mr Z is just an atheist who believes he could be wrong.
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    17 Dec '17 18:43
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Agreed, “only god can open eyes”

So how does this fit with your claim that people can somehow “choose”?
    If you want to go down the double predestination road then sure. You feel like you have made up your mind. That works for me.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    17 Dec '17 19:26
    Originally posted by @eladar

I have not run into a person who has not taken a side.
    Ask a child who is free from indoctrination.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Dec '17 19:44
    Are you intending on ignoring me in 2018 or would you like to discuss a truce of some sort? (Not that I feel like we fight much anyway)
    Bump for Kellyjay
  5. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    17 Dec '17 19:451 edit
    Seeking is not believing.
    Seeking is choosing though. The choice of seeking is rewarded with belief, no?
  6. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    17 Dec '17 20:54
    If Mr. Z is able to say that he has no opinion about the nature of truth and reality then Mr. Z would be an Agnostic.

Until then this Mr Z is just an atheist who believes he could be wrong.
    You appear to be under the illusion that an agnostic is someone without an opinion.

How quaint.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    17 Dec '17 22:341 edit
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    You appear to be under the illusion that an agnostic is someone without an opinion.

How quaint.
    Without an opinion on the existence of God.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Dec '17 23:041 edit
    If you want to go down the double predestination road then sure. You feel like you have made up your mind. That works for me.
    How does you claim that “only god can open their eyes” sit with your contradictory claim that “they have to make a choice”?
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    18 Dec '17 00:05
    How does you claim that “only god can open their eyes” sit with your contradictory claim that “they have to make a choice”?
    They base their choice on what they see.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Dec '17 00:09
    They base their choice on what they see.
    You are not answering my question; how does someone make the choice you are claiming they should make, without God opening their eyes?
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    18 Dec '17 01:36
    You are not answering my question; how does someone make the choice you are claiming they should make, without God opening their eyes?
    I did answer your question. I can't help it if you can't see it.
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    18 Dec '17 04:12
    Without an opinion on the existence of God.
    Nope.
    Agnostics certainly do have opinions on the existence of god.
    Namely that that knowledge (the existence or non-existence of god) is unknowable.

On top of that they may either be atheist or theist.
  13. SubscriberPianoman1
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Moves
    18 Dec '17 07:401 edit
    Originally posted by @kellyjay
    Actually I disagree, only blind faith would reject reasoning. All things that we hold true we do with cause and cause has a reason. Simply because I cannot prove something doesn’t mean I can’t believe it to be true, and as important simply because we believe our reasons are truthful doesn’t mean that they are. This brings us back to faith which sole existence doesn’t just revolve around God.
    If you cannot prove the existence of God, where does your faith come from? Why believe in something for no reason? Does your faith perhaps come from conditioning, indoctrination or social expectation? If so, it is bogus. Do you look at the world and think 'how can this beautifully designed world possibly have come into existence without a Prime Cause? If so, you ignore Darwin and evolution. Please explain why you have faith and where this faith springs from. I do not undstand. I am a simple person, though wise enough to see more than black and white.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Dec '17 09:252 edits
    I did answer your question. I can't help it if you can't see it.
    No, you didn’t you are contradicting yourself. Now you are being dishonest about it.

When asked how someone can can “choose” to believe something they don’t believe in...
    You said:
    “Only god can open their eyes”
    And then you said:
    “They have to choose based on what they can see”

So if god has not opened their eyes, how can they see in order to choose?
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 Dec '17 09:27
    Originally posted by @kellyjay
    Its all about faith, so I tend to agree with you. I cannot prove what I believe, there is
    always room for doubt. If I knew than it wouldn't be faith, it would be knowledge. I have in
    my life had experiences that give me glimpses into what I have to say this is beyond the
    natural, but they give no "proof" to others they are only part of my testimony, which again
    if believed have to be taken on faith.
    In my own life experience, I have been given proof which proves the point to me beyond a reasonable doubt, but this is no proof for others. Faith cannot be a proof to those who have no such faith. But I know my faith is true.

In this way, my faith IS my knowledge. My faith is no one else's knowledge, but it is MY knowledge. That my faith is my knowledge does not mean that I have no faith. My faith and my belief IS a fact of life to me, and also in this way, it IS knowledge. But again, it is MY knowledge, no one else's. There is always faith, and because of this faith, I have been shown, and thus have knowledge of, its truth.

But this doesn't mean others can know in this way. Not without faith. It is like trying to explain what BLUE looks like to a blind man.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree