Enemies of the cross of Christ

Enemies of the cross of Christ

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
13 Oct 15

Originally posted by sonship
Now I can't wait to move into something more positive. After Paul's warning in [b]2:2 he speaks the positive side of being not an enemy but very friendly to self denial and "the cross of Christ" .

My next few posts will try to prove that Paul now goes to telling us of his own spiritual walk. (He includes his co-workers). And he exhorts all w ...[text shortened]... those old things of the flesh. He is friendly to self denial in order to "gain Christ" .[/b]
Philippians 3:
7 But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. 8 What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ 9 and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in[a] Christ—the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith. 10 I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, 11 and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrection from the dead.

12 Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13 Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

This I think is one of the more powerful points of walking out our faith, we do it daily, we
push forward resting in His grace we hold on to what He has done for us. We cannot and
should not try to add to His righteousness it is enough, what we need to continue to do is
follow after Him obeying Him, doing the works He has for us.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
13 Oct 15
2 edits

Paul goes on to tell us of his good religious flesh. I anyone had reason for self confidence, he says it is him. Then he goes on to tell how he turns it all down for something better, to live Christ and unto Christ.

His pedigree -

" I myself have something to be confident of in the flesh as well ...

Circumcised the eighth day;
of the race of Israel;
of the tribe of Benjamin;
a Hebrew born of a Hebrew;
as to the law a Pharisee;
As to zeal, persecuting the church;
as to the righteousness which is in the law, become blameless.

But what things were gains to me, these I have counted as loss on account of Christ." (vs.4a-7)

These are all the things which conceivably could have made Paul puffed up and proud. Why should he deny himself and follow Christ? He could reason that he doesn't need Christ. He has all these wonderful things of his religious and cultural backround.

Benjamin was a lovable tribe.
He was blameless (in the eyes of others) in keeping the law.
He was so zealous that he persecuted the Christian church.

He was an educated Pharisee and knew extremely well the Torah.
He was scholarly in all the Hebrew Bible.
He was a Hebrew of Hebrews.

But Paul is friendly with the cross of Christ. Paul is willing to learn to live by Christ and have no confidence in his pedigree. In fact on a comparative scale he now counts all those upstanding things as dung, as dog food compared to Christ.

Taking the cross of Christ is all about accounting Christ SUPERIOR to every other possible thing you could imagine.

"But moreover I also count all things to be loss on account of the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord,

on account of whom I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as refuse that I may gain Christ

And be found in Him, not having my own righteousness which is out of the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is out of God and based on faith." (vs. 8.9)

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
13 Oct 15
1 edit

Originally posted by KellyJay
Philippians 3:
7 But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. 8 What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ 9 and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes ...[text shortened]... what we need to continue to do is
12 Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13 Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

This I think is one of the more powerful points of walking out our faith, we do it daily, we
push forward resting in His grace we hold on to what He has done for us. We cannot and
should not try to add to His righteousness it is enough, what we need to continue to do is

Exactly.

Taking the cross was not a loathsome religious duty for Paul. He compared everything to Christ and said " Wow! Christ is far better."

He had Christ. He wanted to GAIN Christ.
He had eternal life.
Yet in his every day - day to day, he wanted people to find him "in Christ" .

He did want to be found in himself - even in his good self.
He wanted to be found in Christ.
There was absolutely no comparison to anything this world could offer that was as valuable and precious as Christ Jesus his Lord.

This is where we need to be.
So we need to go back again and again and examine this Wonderful Person Christ.

What can compete with Him?
What can compare with Him?

So seeing HOW precious Christ was Paul and all others living as he, were glad to count everything else inferior. And thus we can take the cross of Christ. We can be friendly with the cross of Christ.

This is a deepening and growing matter.
This is a life long expanding and maturing matter in the Christian life.

Great post.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
13 Oct 15
1 edit

Originally posted by sonship
[quote] 12 Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13 Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to ...[text shortened]... tter.
This is a life long expanding and maturing matter in the Christian life.

Great post.
I know there are those that cheapen God's grace through how they view it, and others that
think they are getting away with sin. What both of those fail to see is how precious life with
the Lord really is, through good and bad times nothing can compare.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
13 Oct 15

Originally posted by FMF
Does this mean you also believe that Rajk999 has "a hateful heart"?

What makes you say that he "cannot bring himself to follow Christ"?
It is interesting that most of her posts are about condemning people rather than discussing issues and doctrine. I feel mostly pity for people like that, certainly I have no animosity toward her .. she must have a load of personal problems to deal with.

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
13 Oct 15

Originally posted by Rajk999
You and your OSAS type cannot carry on a discussion about Bible doctrine about eternal life, without getting personal. It is YOU that started getting personal by telling me, I have no joy, that I would have called Jesus a sinner and asking me if I sin. I have never asked you one single personal question neither have I made any personal remarks about you. ...[text shortened]... ose like Sonship and others who think they can live anyhow they like and still get eternal life.
God is my judge

Manny

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
13 Oct 15
1 edit

Originally posted by menace71
God is my judge

Manny
God is everybody's judge, but the teachings of Christ and the Apostles is your guide as to how God will judge. Right now you have a few important facts screwed up in your head. I hope you clear it up before that day reaches you.

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
13 Oct 15

OSAS?

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
13 Oct 15

I don't think God's gift of Salvation is Cheap..... I don't think sin should be taken lightly..... I do think Christians need to live righteous lives... Specially after coming to know Jesus...... I believe the Bible is where we get truth about God and the Apostles

Manny

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
13 Oct 15

If one says they are without sin ... They make God out to be a liar..... That's all I'm saying..... All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. I would not be so presumptuous to try to stand before God and say I have no sin

Manny

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
13 Oct 15

Originally posted by menace71
If one says they are without sin ... They make God out to be a liar..... That's all I'm saying..... All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. I would not be so presumptuous to try to stand before God and say I have no sin

Manny
Good, then dont come to God claiming you have no sin, because everybody is guilty of sin.

There are Christian buddies of yours that claim the following :
- sin would not be held against Christians.
- that Christians will still get eternal life even though they sin
- that all they have to do on judgment day is say "Christ is righteous .. therefore I am righteous as well"

What do you think of these doctrines?

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
13 Oct 15

What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin so that grace may increase? May it never be! How shall we who died to sin still live in it?
Romans 6:1-2 NASB
http://bible.com/100/rom.6.1-2.NASB

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
13 Oct 15

What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? May it never be! Do you not know that when you present yourselves to someone as slaves for obedience, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin resulting in death, or of obedience resulting in righteousness?
Romans 6:15-16 NASB
http://bible.com/100/rom.6.15-16.NASB

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
13 Oct 15

Paul essentially says.... No longer live in sin stop presenting yourselves as instruments of sin...... But it's still possible to sin..... The practicality is literally stop living in sin

Manny

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
13 Oct 15
1 edit

Originally posted by Rajk999
Good, then dont come to God claiming you have no sin, because everybody is guilty of sin.

There are Christian buddies of yours that claim the following :
- sin would not be held against Christians.
- that Christians will still get eternal life even though they sin
- that all they have to do on judgment day is say "Christ is righteous .. therefore I am righteous as well"

What do you think of these doctrines?
My Christian buddies? Wow..... Well on that day when we stand before God I will indeed bow before Christ and say I have no righteousness of my own other than what you have cloaked me in and any acts that I have done were because you made it possible

Manny