1. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    06 Sep '14 04:034 edits
    Do you believe that genuine and pure "love" can be extorted from people by a God figure using threats of unimaginably extreme and vengeful violence?
  2. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    731
    06 Sep '14 04:24
    I am reminded of the abusive boyfriend analogy.

    http://atheism.wikia.com/wiki/How_can_you_tell_the_difference_between_Christianity_and_an_abusive_husband_or_boyfriend%3F
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Joined
    24 May '04
    Moves
    148428
    06 Sep '14 04:51
    Originally posted by FMF
    Do you believe that genuine and pure "love" can be extorted from people by a God figure using threats of unimaginably extreme and vengeful violence?
    Nope
    Kelly
  4. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    06 Sep '14 05:41
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Nope
    Kelly
    So why is this element/belief present in Christian theology? It strikes me as being a human invention ~ a product of superstitious imagination. What is "divine" about it to you if you admit that it could not work?
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Joined
    24 May '04
    Moves
    148428
    06 Sep '14 06:00
    Originally posted by FMF
    So why is this element/belief present in Christian theology? It strikes me as being a human invention ~ a product of superstitious imagination. What is "divine" about it to you if you admit that it could not work?
    I don't believe going to God should be done to avoid Hell, I believe we
    should do it, because it is the right thing to do, and He is worthy.
    Kelly
  6. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    06 Sep '14 06:07
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I don't believe going to God should be done to avoid Hell, I believe we
    should do it, because it is the right thing to do, and He is worthy.
    Kelly
    If that is so, then what is the purpose of the threat of unfathomably extreme violence?
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Joined
    24 May '04
    Moves
    148428
    06 Sep '14 07:03
    Originally posted by FMF
    If that is so, then what is the purpose of the threat of unfathomably extreme violence?
    There is a cost to sin, it isn't pretty one. I don't see it as a threat like you
    do, but a price for certain actions/inactions. You may see a police car
    along the road with his/her radar gun, he isn't threatening you with a
    ticket, but you know you could get one if you were speeding against the
    law.
    Kelly
  8. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    06 Sep '14 07:23
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    There is a cost to sin, it isn't pretty one.
    What is the "cost" that you pay for your "sins"? What is not "pretty" about the "cost" you pay?
  9. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    06 Sep '14 07:26
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I don't see it as a threat like you do, but a price for certain actions/inactions.
    If it's not a threat then what is the warning about unfathomably extreme violence for, and how does it contribute to fostering "love" for the perpetrator?
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Joined
    24 May '04
    Moves
    148428
    06 Sep '14 07:36
    Originally posted by FMF
    If it's not a threat then what is the warning about unfathomably extreme violence for, and how does it contribute to fostering "love" for the perpetrator?
    It is a warning, because there is danger there! Would you compain if
    you saw a sign that said, danger posion don't drink? Warnings are there
    for protection, not to threaten.
    Kelly
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Joined
    24 May '04
    Moves
    148428
    06 Sep '14 07:38
    Originally posted by FMF
    If it's not a threat then what is the warning about unfathomably extreme violence for, and how does it contribute to fostering "love" for the perpetrator?
    The love and care God gives should draw us to Him, He gives us an
    entire universe to live in with all that is in it. He has gone out of His
    way to save us from danger. The goodness of God is beyond measure.
    Why anyone would hate Him has more to do with what He stands against
    than for.
    Kelly
  12. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    06 Sep '14 07:41
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    It is a warning, because there is danger there! Would you compain if
    you saw a sign that said, danger posion don't drink? Warnings are there
    for protection, not to threaten.
    Kelly
    Can any so called "love" that this supposed "warning" gives rise to ever be genuine or pure "love"? It seems more like an attempt at psychological extortion. I can't see how the "warning" of eternal torture in burning agony ~ like a kind of revenge for disobedience ~ can be the basis of anything but an unhealthy abuser-abused relationship and not real "love" at all.
  13. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    06 Sep '14 07:441 edit
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    The goodness of God is beyond measure.
    From the link Paul provided at the start of this thread:

    Hello, my name is Jesus. I love you deeply. I have loved you since you were conceived in the womb and I will love you for all eternity. I died for you on the cross because I love you so much. I long to have a loving personal relationship with you. I will answer all of your prayers through my love. But if you do not get down on your knees and worship me [...] then I WILL INCINERATE YOU WITH UNIMAGINABLY TORTUOUS PAIN IN THE FIRES OF HELL FOR ALL ETERNITY.
  14. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    06 Sep '14 07:48
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Why anyone would hate Him has more to do with what He stands against
    than for.
    I can't speak for those who believe He exists AND hate Him. But what is the purpose, to your way of thinking, of visiting etrenal torture upon people who do not believe He exists so do not think there is a Him to hate?
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86348
    06 Sep '14 07:53
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Nope
    Kelly
    Why do feel compelled to sign every post you make, even a one-word post, with your name?
Back to Top