Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Proof

Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Proof

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
21 Jul 19

@sonship said
We have more textural reasons to believe that the writing of the NT was more representative to what Jesus said and did then we have to believe of the accounts of just about all other ancient figures in history.
Well, you know full well I am not convinced by these "reasons".

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
21 Jul 19
1 edit

@FMF

If I did indeed say something along these lines, it would have been about me not feeling any fear in the face of torturer god ideology threats.

You probably misunderstood what I meant or are perhaps being dishonest about it.

I am interested in the things that get examined on this debate and discussion forum.

Do I think I am going to be tortured by your God figure after I die? No, of course not.

Your threats "mean nothing to me" but the degree to which they are morally incoherent [and how your "moral" beliefs distort your intellect, integrity and interpersonal skills] do have "meaning" to me in so far as I find them - and its effect on you - to be interesting topics.

You are disingenuous here.

Other topics have been raised. You jumped in to REMIND everyone of your issue with eternal punishment. You bring the discussion BACK to this when something completely different is being discussed.

Anyway, the statements made before that post show why historians have more reason to belief the time between the life of Jesus and the biographical writings by others about Jesus are a historians dream as compared to other ancient figures.

But the CONTENT of what was said by Jesus - THIS gives greater concern that for some, by all means possible, it be discredited and legendary, fabrication, and not what He really taught.

It is more and more the case that eternal judgment is the raised topic on the Forum as if THIS alone is the most objectionable factor to the Bible.

So I think your greater stress on the authenticity of the words of Jesus as told by the apostles is actually a central concern that JUDGMENT from God be shown as fantasy.

Lately, what has been your stress? Why, what REASON could there be that I be punished forever ?

Why not look at it from another angle? What was this Man who claims He came to pour out His blood for the forgiveness of sins that people be justified before God ?

F

Moves
21 Jul 19

@sonship said
You are disingenuous.
No. You are mistaken. I am being totally straight with you , as ever.

F

Moves
21 Jul 19

@sonship said
Lately, what has been your stress? Why, what REASON could there be that I be punished forever ?
It's been my emphasis for over a decade, not just "lately". The question is about the moral purpose of torturing a non-believer and essentially doing so in secret. Indeed, what even is the purpose of the threat if it doesn't work on non-believers?

F

Moves
21 Jul 19

@sonship said
Why not look at it from another angle? What was this Man who claims He came to pour out His blood for the forgiveness of sins that people be justified before God ?
This angle doesn't work on me. I don't believe any blood was poured out "for the forgiveness of sins". I lack this belief you have, sonship. I am not convinced, sincerely and honestly so.

Now, this is the angle: Does this 'failure' to be convinced - of the same things that convince you - really render me so monstrously "unrighteous" that it is "moral perfection" for the God figure you believe in to torment me in burning flames for eternity ~ because of his hate, wrath and vengeance?

F

Moves
21 Jul 19

@sonship said
It is more and more the case that eternal judgment is the raised topic on the Forum as if THIS alone is the most objectionable factor to the Bible.
I am interested in morality. I think the torturer god ideology is a kind of nonsensical black hole in terms of morality. As for what is "objectionable" or not "objectionable" in the Bible, I like the Golden Rule type stuff. It still affects my life because of my background, although I'd almost certainly adhere to Golden Rule type stuff now even if I hadn't been a Christian.

F

Moves
21 Jul 19

@sonship said
But the CONTENT of what was said by Jesus - THIS gives greater concern that for some, by all means possible, it be discredited and legendary, fabrication, and not what He really taught.
It's your prerogative to live your life in a way that is based on your belief that "the CONTENT of what was said by Jesus" is something authentic and that it really is connected to a supernatural creator being and moral lawgiver.

S. Korea

Moves
21 Jul 19

@fmf said
It's been my emphasis for over a decade, not just "lately". The question is about the moral purpose of torturing a non-believer and essentially doing so in secret. Indeed, what even is the purpose of the threat if it doesn't work on non-believers?
The doing it in secret line is what gets me here.

How is it done in secret?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
21 Jul 19

@FMF

You remind me of the nature of this Forum - It is for debate.
I don't say you are threatening me.

The universe and its being has a nature with laws from its Creator.
You regard them as threats.

Inordinate self love regards adverse consequences as only threats.
If I warned you not to touch the third rail of an electrical train track for you may get electrocuted.

You seem to react with "How dare you THREATEN me so. I refuse to fear or regard you because of your personal threats."

God has law. Man was told in creation to eat of every tree - but do not eat of this particular tree or you will die. Adam was deceived to regard it perhaps has a threat.

Inordinate self love hears a warning of love and regards any adverse consequences of such a warning as a personal threat.

The next time you remind me "Oh, sonship this Forum has a nature and characteristic - debate" maybe I'll complain that you are threatening me to show you how you sound.

So where are we. The Son of God's death on our behalf to reconcile us by paying a debt too heavy for us, is God THREATENING - the Bully THREATENING you.

Are you obsessed with Christ's coming to save us as God threatening us ?
I see it as a universe from God with God's laws.
And He has a gracious remedy should that law be hopelessly transgressed.

S. Korea

Moves
21 Jul 19

@fmf said
This angle doesn't work on me. I don't believe any blood was poured out "for the forgiveness of sins". I lack this belief you have, sonship. I am not convinced, sincerely and honestly so.

Now, this is the angle: Does this 'failure' to be convinced - of the same things that convince you - really render me so monstrously "unrighteous" that it is "moral perfection" for the God fi ...[text shortened]... believe in to torment me in burning flames for eternity ~ because of his hate, wrath and vengeance?
Do you believe in sin and do you repent for your sins?

That is extremely relevant in terms of Christianity about your standing on judgment day.

F

Moves
21 Jul 19

@philokalia said
The doing it in secret line is what gets me here.

How is it done in secret?
It's reality is being kept "secret" from non-believers, who are thus unaffected [in terms of their belief] by non-credible threats based on ancient mythology, your own personal opinion about the adequacy of the "revelation" of your God figure notwithstanding. Please don't talk to me based on pretending not to have read my posts.

F

Moves
21 Jul 19

@philokalia said
Do you believe in sin and do you repent for your sins?
You are pretending not to have read my posts.

S. Korea

Moves
21 Jul 19

@fmf said
It's reality is being kept "secret" from non-believers, who are thus unaffected [in terms of their belief] by non-credible threats based on ancient mythology, your own personal opinion about the adequacy of the "revelation" of your God figure notwithstanding. Please don't talk to me based on pretending not to have read my posts.
So you dislike it when questions are repetitive? You might want to talk to your boy Dive about that one.

I guess you would endorse the idea that people shouldn't have to repeat themselves on the forum, right?

F

Moves
21 Jul 19

@sonship said
@FMF

You remind me of the nature of this Forum - It is for debate.
I don't say you are threatening me.

The universe and its being has a nature with laws from its Creator.
You regard them as threats.

Inordinate self love regards adverse consequences as only threats.
If I warned you not to touch the third rail of an electrical train track for you ...[text shortened]... from God with God's laws.
And He has a gracious remedy should that law be hopelessly transgressed.
"Self-love"?

S. Korea

Moves
21 Jul 19

@fmf said
generally speaking, it's not proven because God wants us to be able to walk independently, and live freely.

Imagine a scenario in which hell is already completely proven it, it's impossible to actually have spiritual growth which is when viewed simply as a transaction. People behaving in a specific way to get a reward.