1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Nov '22 08:48
    @josephw said

Don't blame me. I didn't write the Bible.
    “We were only obeying orders”
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    14 Nov '22 08:55
    @fmf said
    I will try again:

Even if we assume what you say above is true...

...I don't think people can "choose", or use their free will to "decide", to believe for example...

that the Christian description of this creator entity is accurate or credible.
    That's your choice.

You don't understand what you're saying. If you can decide that you can't decide, then you have made a choice.

You can choose accountability to the revealed word of God, or you can choose not to believe.

If you don't believe that, that you have a choice, then you may as well quit talking about it and go on living your life as you choose.

What can be easier to understand than that?
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    14 Nov '22 09:04
    @fmf said
    Would you be able to use your free will to choose to believe that people with "No God" DO have lives?
    It's a level playing field. Everyone has a life to live. Some better than others.

The assertion, "no God, no life. Know God, know life", is in regards to the spiritual/supernatural, the hereafter and eternal life and isn't relative to materialism.

I would think you would understand that, and you probably do, but the concept doesn't coincide with your agenda, which is to deflect from rational discourse and promote a narrative in opposition to revealed truth.
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    14 Nov '22 09:09
    @divegeester said
    Wow again!

Firth you equate your silly phraseology to “salvation” and now you are equating me challenging you and your posting to me “hating God”.

You really have been on the American right-wing Christian equivalent of the Kolinahr while you were away!
    You're more obtuse than ever divegeester.

If mischaracterizing what I said gives you assurance and self justification after calling me misanthropic, then go for it.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Nov '22 09:10
    @josephw said
    That's your choice.You don't understand what you're saying. If you can decide that you can't decide, then you have made a choice.You can choose accountability to the revealed word of God, or you can choose not to believe.
    I don't think this is psychologically true. It isn't how faith in supernatural beings works.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Nov '22 09:15
    @josephw said
    You can choose accountability to the revealed word of God, or you can choose not to believe.
    You still don't seem to understand the content of the post you are ostensibly replying to. I don't think people can simply decide to believe in any religion's supposedly "revealed word of God". It's not the way that the cognitive function we call "faith" works. By the same reckoning, I don't think people can simply decide to NOT believe in their religion's allegedly "revealed word of God".
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    14 Nov '22 09:16
    @divegeester said
    “We were only obeying orders”
    Jesus said, "if you love me you'll obey me".

God commands, man obeys.

The alternative is rebellion. Which side are you on?

Based on your performance in this forum of bashing Christians for asserting the truths as clearly delineated in God's Word it appears you're a hypocrite.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Nov '22 09:16
    @josephw said
    I would think you would understand that, and you probably do, but the concept doesn't coincide with your agenda, which is to deflect from rational discourse and promote a narrative in opposition to revealed truth.
    My only "agenda" here is to compare what I believe to what other people believe.
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    14 Nov '22 09:21
    @fmf said
    You still don't seem to understand the content of the post you are ostensibly replying to. I don't think people can simply decide to believe in any religion's supposedly "revealed word of God". It's not the way that the cognitive function we call "faith" works. By the same reckoning, I don't think people can simply decide to NOT believe in their religion's allegedly "revealed word of God".
    You keep making these kinds of statements. Sounds only like your opinion.

What exactly is it that you don't believe man has the ability to choose to believe?

Something you don't believe exists?
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    14 Nov '22 09:27
    @fmf said
    My only "agenda" here is to compare what I believe to what other people believe.
    Is that true?

It seems more like you have a one sided perspective.

You eat the vegetables, but pass on the Rack of lamb.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Nov '22 09:281 edit
    @josephw said
    What exactly is it that you don't believe man has the ability to choose to believe?
    I think, with the human capacity for faith ~ specifically with faith in supernatural things ~ we realize we are convinced of things or realize we are no longer convinced of things.

We cannot decide to believe things that we are not convinced of. Just as we cannot simply decide NOT to believe things that we realize we are convinced are true.

For example, when I was a Christian, I wasn't able to simply decide to NOT have Christian beliefs. I am not a Christian now - not because I chose not to be one anymore - but because I realized I was no longer convinced.

I think this is all pertinent to the topic of "free will".
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Nov '22 09:31
    @josephw said
    It seems more like you have a one sided perspective.
    The only personal perspectives I have to offer are my own ~ aside from when I cite or reiterate others' perspectives, which I do not pass off as my own. I think it's the same for everyone.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Nov '22 09:35
    @josephw said
    Something you don't believe exists?
    While I believe there may well be a creator entity that is responsible for the universe and its contents, no amount of free will on my part can allow me to honestly say that I find your ancient Hebrew-based description of it credible.
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    14 Nov '22 11:171 edit
    @josephw said

God commands, man obeys.

Based on your performance in this forum of bashing Christians for asserting the truths as clearly delineated in God's Word it appears you're a hypocrite.
    Someone who is only partially obedient is disobedient, just as there are no shades or of truth, something is true or not, obedience is or isn't as well. We need God's grace and mercy, our efforts will never be enough.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Nov '22 13:35
    @josephw said
    God commands, man obeys.
    I guess it all comes down to what orders you are obeying and who’s interpretation of those orders you are using.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree