1. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 00:12
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    dont even go near there my friend, written by pro evolutionists, for evolutionists, there are no, and i repeat no counter arguments given! they have taken a theory built on flimsy premise and made out that its an established fact, no way! had they even been objective one could have given them the benefit, but no, they cannot do it!
    Your god is a flimsy premise made out to be an established fact.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 00:14
    Originally posted by rwingett
    this is the spirituality forum Ringy dude, the man came, not looking for articles on evolution, but something entirely different, an alternative, cause he does not buy the theory and all you people can do is offer him, non spirituality, shame on you doc! hunting rabbits with an elephant gun!
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 00:27
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    this is the spirituality forum Ringy dude, the man came, not looking for articles on evolution, but something entirely different, an alternative, cause he does not buy the theory and all you people can do is offer him, non spirituality, shame on you doc! hunting rabbits with an elephant gun!
    Do not put words into his mouth, for I have set him upon the right path. One draught of the knowledge wafting from wikipedia's pages will open his eyes to the sublime wonders of science. Science! He will forever curse the time he has spent wallowing in your superstitious pit of ignorance.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 01:02
    Do not put words into his mouth, for I have set him upon the right path. One draught of the knowledge wafting from wikipedia's pages will open his eyes to the sublime wonders of science. Science! He will forever curse the time he has spent wallowing in your superstitious pit of ignorance.
    well if its science you want, i hardly think that evolution is the place to start! infact, its entirely debatable whether its science or not, perhaps it was in the small print!

this was the mans question,

'But if I believe that we were always humans and not the by product of some evolutionary chart then what supports the theory that this suggests?'

does evolution support this theory, nope! then why point him in the wrong direction? he is looking for an alternative, but you people have none! that is the ignorance of the matter! science is wonderful, science which substantiates spirituality is the zenith of experience, all you people can hope to see are data, the theist, to him it is the wonder of creation, the mind of the creator, it therefore becomes a spiritual experience, which transcends the mendacity and banality of a purely materialistic outlook! yet it is denied you!
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 01:05
    Humans, gorillas and chimpanzees evolved from a common ancestor, with the evolutionary path of the latter two diverging from humans between 8 and 4 million years ago. That common ancestor may have been either Nakalipithecus or Ouranopithecus. The evidence clearly supports evolution. You're simply going to have to modify your beliefs accordingly. If not for ...[text shortened]... n just telling them that "God done it", but that's what responsible parenting is all about.
    "Humans, gorillas and chimpanzees evolved from a common ancestor,.."

Who says?
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 01:07
    The fossil evidence is all around you. You simply choose not to see it.
    So is the evidence for creation. You simply choose not to see it.
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 01:09
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Are you in the same boat as your 'partner in crime' Mr Galvo, who believes all the evolutionary evidence has been laid by the great deciever Satan to try to trick mankind from the path of God?
    Satan didn't lay anything anywhere. He just blinds the mind.
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 01:10
    False science.
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 01:11
    There's no way for you to know that for sure. Stop deceiving yourself.
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 01:12
    Originally posted by big bern
    I am trying to explain to my kids where humans came from. I naturally don't believe that we evolved from some type of animal,Ape,Gorilla, whatever... But if I believe that we were always humans and not the by product of some evolutionary chart then what supports the theory that this suggests? The two first humans had to come from somewhere . Ah Yes God put ...[text shortened]... t is it you believe? What tale do you tell your children? What is the truth? Where are we from?
    Sounds like you need to read the Bible with your children.
  11. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 01:22
    Originally posted by big bern
    I am trying to explain to my kids where humans came from. I naturally don't believe that we evolved from some type of animal,Ape,Gorilla, whatever... But if I believe that we were always humans and not the by product of some evolutionary chart then what supports the theory that this suggests? The two first humans had to come from somewhere . Ah Yes God put ...[text shortened]... t is it you believe? What tale do you tell your children? What is the truth? Where are we from?
    I fail to see a contradiction here. God could have 'put them here' using evolution.
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 01:25
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    I fail to see a contradiction here. God could have 'put them here' using evolution.
    No. If He had He would have said so.
  13. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 01:32
    Originally posted by josephw
    No. If He had He would have said so.
    Why? Does he feel the need to explain every single thing he does in detail? Why should he? Surely we can figure some things out for ourselves.
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 01:46
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Why? Does he feel the need to explain every single thing he does in detail? Why should he? Surely we can figure some things out for ourselves.
    This isn't meant as a jab, but you're going off on a tangent.

Let's see where it leads.

Why? Because He wants us to know the truth.

Does He feel the need to explain every single thin He does in detail? No

Why should He? He doesn't.

Surely we can figure some things out for ourselves. Like tying our shoes?

Do you think God used evolution to create the angles? Of course the question is meaningless since you don't believe in God. Or do you?
  15. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 02:46
    Must we go down this path again ... and again ... and again?
    Let's get clear a few points.

1. Evolution is a scientific explanation/model for speciation.
    2. There is evidence for evolution in, amongst other areas, palaeontology (ie. fossils), genetics (ie. DNA analysis), and biology (ie. flies, butterflies, birds and other examples of evolution occuring as we watch.)
    3. There are no alternative scientific explanations.
    4. It might not be correct - that's the same for any scientific explanation. There may be a better, or different, explanation to come.
    5. Creation explanations that involve the supernatural - ie. gods - are not scientific.

I'm an atheist, so clearly I must support an explanation that does not involve the supernatural. But even were I to believe in the supernatural, I've still to be shown the danger of a belief in scientific explanations - like evolution - for phenomena such as speciation.
    I don't understand why it matters so much to so many of you that it be demonstrated that evolution must clearly be wrong.
    Does it matter so much that Newton's Universal Gravitation be proved wrong? What about Maxwell's Electromagnetism? Or Wegener's Continental Drift? Or any other scientific explanation?
    Clearly not.
    So why evolution, which undergoes the same examination as any other scientific explanation?
    Why treat it differently?

To get back to the original question - or a modified version of the original question - I would suggest looking at Richard Dawkins early work - before he became a raving religious atheist, or Steve Jones, or Stephen Jay Gould.
    They present well researched and relatively straight forward explanations of evolution and the eidence that supports it.
    I would not suggest using public forums, and I'd caution against the use of Wikipedia.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree