1. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 03:52
    Originally posted by big bern
    I am trying to explain to my kids where humans came from. I naturally don't believe that we evolved from some type of animal,Ape,Gorilla, whatever... But if I believe that we were always humans and not the by product of some evolutionary chart then what supports the theory that this suggests? The two first humans had to come from somewhere . Ah Yes God put ...[text shortened]... t is it you believe? What tale do you tell your children? What is the truth? Where are we from?
    I don't know. You don't know. How about telling them that, instead of reprocessing your unfounded speculation?
  2. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 05:07
    First I was a germ then I became a worm then I grew legs and crawled out from the sea then I became a monkey hanging from a tree!! 😉

Manny
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 05:43
    What tale do you tell your children? What is the truth?
    I'm rather partial to the one about the storks brining the babies. Oh, thats avoiding reproduction not avoiding evolution - but I guess it still works.

I agree with Badwater. Honesty is the best policy. When my son asked, I told him 'your mother believes God made Adam and Eve, I believe we evolved, what you believe is up to you.'

Lying to children seems to be widespread practice however and often for no apparent reason. I guess some people just like to appear knowledgeable, some people are just lazy, but too often I see adults lying to children even when they know the right answer - I don't know why.
  4. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 10:12
    I am trying to explain to my kids where humans came from. I naturally don't believe that we evolved from some type of animal,Ape,Gorilla, whatever... But if I believe that we were always humans and not the by product of some evolutionary chart then what supports the theory that this suggests? The two first humans had to come from somewhere . Ah Yes God put ...[text shortened]... t is it you believe? What tale do you tell your children? What is the truth? Where are we from?
    i would strongly suggest you make sure your children know the difference between faith and science.

i would also strongly suggest you mention that they are not absolutely required to adopt your oppinion but rather they should form their own.

tell them about religion but also tell them that the adam and eve story is not crucial to the religion's main ideas.
  5. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 10:47
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    well if its science you want, i hardly think that evolution is the place to start! infact, its entirely debatable whether its science or not, perhaps it was in the small print!

this was the mans question,

'But if I believe that we were always humans and not the by product of some evolutionary chart then what supports the theory that this su ...[text shortened]... ranscends the mendacity and banality of a purely materialistic outlook! yet it is denied you!
    I wondered how long it would take before for the,

You don't believe in my superstitious fairytales, so therefore you can't appreciate the beauty and spiritual quality of the cosmos!

line would appear. Nice one Rob, good quality piece of elitist garbage to brighten up my morning. Not only do you trounce over 150yrs worth of science but you do it with your head stuck up your arse at the same time.

Right the paper Rob, slay the beast!!!!
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 10:55
    I just don't see it. For starters look at the human brain and how advanced it is in comparison to others. How we create, our sense of a soul on and on
    Panspermia
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 11:11
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I'm rather partial to the one about the storks brining the babies. Oh, thats avoiding reproduction not avoiding evolution - but I guess it still works.

I agree with Badwater. Honesty is the best policy. When my son asked, I told him 'your mother believes God made Adam and Eve, I believe we evolved, what you believe is up to you.'

Lying to children s ...[text shortened]... ften I see adults lying to children even when they know the right answer - I don't know why.
    When my dad told me "we don't know why" to such a question ,I remember it as one of the most significant moments of my seventh year. Spot on Twitehead!
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 11:38
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    I wondered how long it would take before for the,

You don't believe in my superstitious fairytales, so therefore you can't appreciate the beauty and spiritual quality of the cosmos!

line would appear. Nice one Rob, good quality piece of elitist garbage to brighten up my morning. Not only do you trounce over 150yrs worth of science but you d ...[text shortened]... with your head stuck up your arse at the same time.

Right the paper Rob, slay the beast!!!!
    i did not state that you cannot comprehend beauty Noobster, nor that you do not appreciate the cosmos. this is not about anyone, it was a simple enquiry for an alternative theory to evolution, of which, creationism is! You people must think about this thing, for if , as in this case, someone asks you for an alternative view what shall you say? ummm just go and learn about evolution? well well, hardly an alternative, is it? therefore it is not I who am being elitist, although admittedly i do harbour some delusions of grandeur in that regard, but they are empty dreams and shall never come to fruition? imagine writing a paper that only a handful of persons could comprehend! Robbies universal theory of suppression of the natural exercise of the human conscience!
  9. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 11:451 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    i did not state that you cannot comprehend beauty Noobster, nor that you do not appreciate the cosmos. this is not about anyone, it was a simple enquiry for an alternative theory to evolution, of which, creationism is! You people must think about this thing, for if , as in this case, someone asks you for an alternative view what shall you say? ummm ...[text shortened]... ehend! Robbies universal theory of suppression of the natural exercise of the human conscience!
    My reply was in response to this, posted by you.

all you people can hope to see are data, the theist, to him it is the wonder of creation, the mind of the creator, it therefore becomes a spiritual experience, which transcends the mendacity and banality of a purely materialistic outlook! yet it is denied you!
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 12:42
    My reply was in response to this, posted by you.

all you people can hope to see are data, the theist, to him it is the wonder of creation, the mind of the creator, it therefore becomes a spiritual experience, which transcends the mendacity and banality of a purely materialistic outlook! yet it is denied you!
    i have given an explanation for this in the science forum Noobster, are you therefore stating that when you view an aspect of the natural world, that it becomes a spiritual experience for you? if so , then i apologise unreservedly, if not, then the statement stands.
  11. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 17:15
    Originally posted by josephw
    This isn't meant as a jab, but you're going off on a tangent.

Let's see where it leads.

[b]Why?
    Because He wants us to know the truth.

Does He feel the need to explain every single thin He does in detail? No

Why should He? He doesn't.

Surely we can figure some things out for ourselves. Like tying our shoes?

Do you t ...[text shortened]... he angles? Of course the question is meaningless since you don't believe in God. Or do you?[/b]
    No, I don't believe in any gods.

Wouldn't God pick and choose the truths he shared with us? If he told us the truth about everything, we'd die while waiting for him to finish.

Would evolution be high on the priority list of truths to share, especially given the more primitive nature of the audience? I'd think not.
  12. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 17:431 edit
    Anything I can read you suggest to help support this? I doubt it will ever change how I feel but I can't short change the kids an alternative solution to this all important topic. Thanks, by the way. B.
    My advise is "use common sense" as you will be flooded with many viewpoints. And as you do believe in God and his word, pray to God for wisdom and the correct answers. The truth you look for is in the Bible as apposed to theories by men.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 19:30
    We share 96% of our DNA with chimpanzees, we have 23 pairs of chomosones chinps have 24.
    But how much DNA do we share with a house fly? How much DNA does the chimp share with the housefly? How much DNA does a housefly share with a daisy? All living things share a relatively high proportion of base material. Whilst what you quote may be accurate, without being benchmarked across a broad spectrum of living organisms it may lack some efficacy in this contex.
  14. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 20:54
    Originally posted by galveston75
    My advise is "use common sense" as you will be flooded with many viewpoints. And as you do believe in God and his word, pray to God for wisdom and the correct answers. The truth you look for is in the Bible as apposed to theories by men.
    Or flip a coin - because really this is such an important decision to make - weighing on the one hand your great love for the Satan that created this universe or on the other the "not going to get a backslappin' from you" scientists who must be on knife-edge waiting for your approval.
  15. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 20:54
    Originally posted by divegeester
    But how much DNA do we share with a house fly? How much DNA does the chimp share with the housefly? How much DNA does a housefly share with a daisy? All living things share a relatively high proportion of base material. Whilst what you quote may be accurate, without being benchmarked across a broad spectrum of living organisms it may lack some efficacy in this contex.
    This is a very good point, after a little research, this is what i have come up with. Not too many animals have had their genomes sequenced.

Humans and Neanderthals have genomes which are 99.5% the same.

Excerpt from, http://www.scienceblog.com/cms/node/8814 about Chimp gemone.

The DNA used to sequence the chimp genome came from the blood of a male chimpanzee named Clint at theYerkes National Primate Research Center in Atlanta. Clint died last year from heart failure at the relatively young age of 24, but two cell lines from the primate have been preserved at the Coriell Institute for Medical Research in Camden, N.J.

The consortium found that the chimp and human genomes are very similar and encode very similar proteins. The DNA sequence that can be directly compared between the two genomes is almost 99 percent identical. When DNA insertions and deletions are taken into account, humans and chimps still share 96 percent of their sequence. At the protein level, 29 percent of genes code for the same amino sequences in chimps and humans. In fact, the typical human protein has accumulated just one unique change since chimps and humans diverged from a common ancestor about 6 million years ago.

To put this into perspective, the number of genetic differences between humans and chimps is approximately 60 times less than that seen between human and mouse and about 10 times less than between the mouse and rat. On the other hand, the number of genetic differences between a human and a chimp is about 10 times more than between any two humans.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree