1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 08:32
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    This all goes well with the Christian concept that we are often misbehaving And even if we are not misbehaving, we are sometimes inadequate or misreading a situation and not properly being there for someone.

I knew a guy who killed himself. We were buddies -- I saw him six or seven hours before he took the plunge, and we both literally said "Oh man, ...[text shortened]... I close my eyes and sigh lightly, realizing It Is A Beautiful World And I Am Not Afraid To die.
    I asked you a question further up this page, are you going to respond?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 08:34
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    I knew a guy who killed himself. We were buddies -- I saw him six or seven hours before he took the plunge, and we both literally said "Oh man, we should hang out more!" The guy broke up with his fiancee and I was never really near enough to him to help him and I have felt, to some degree, inadequate, and like I should have done something more...
    What's the "how to forgive" angle in this anecdote?
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 08:35
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    You’re misrepresenting my position. I’m not “hoping” that happens. It just will.
    I apologise for accidentally misrepresenting you, it was not intentional.

How does what you are posting relate to you understanding how to forgive?
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 08:36
    Originally posted by @fmf
    What's the "how to forgive" angle in this anecdote?
    It seems that some here are not interested in discussing “how to forgive”.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 08:40
    You’re misrepresenting my position. I’m not “hoping” that happens. It just will.
    One Christian poster on this site famously (or infamously depending on your point of view) stated a couple of years back that the knowledge that people who he perceived as mistreating him were in eternal hell being burnt alive, helped him forgive them.

I think your post triggered a memory of that in me for some reason.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 08:41
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    One Christian poster on this site famously (or infamously depending on your point of view) stated a couple of years back that the knowledge that people who he perceived as mistreating him were in eternal hell being burnt alive, helped him forgive them.

I think your post triggered a memory of that in me for some reason.
    That’s not what I think or believe.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 08:44
    Ok. I’m still not clear on the intent of your post though?
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 08:46
    What do Psalm 73:17, Psalm 37:1-2 and Psalm 37:20 lead you to believe with regard to 'how to forgive'? If "God's Holy Spirit" has, indeed, inspired you to select, copy and paste those particular verses, why is it that they don't address the OP?
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 08:48
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Ok. I’m still not clear on the intent of your post though?
    You’ve misrepresented what I think twice - once by claiming I’m “hoping” people are damned and another by linking me to some unnamed Christian who takes pleasure in thinking of people burning in hell.

Why should I waste my time trying to have a conversation with you? The Psalms (73 and 37) speak for themselves.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 08:49
    What do Psalm 73:17, Psalm 37:1-2 and Psalm 37:20 lead you to believe with regard to 'how to forgive'? If "God's Holy Spirit" has, indeed, inspired you to select, copy and paste those particular verses, why is it that they don't address the OP?
    They do address the OP.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 08:51
    They do address the OP.
    How?
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 08:52
    You’ve misrepresented what I think twice - once by claiming I’m “hoping” people are damned and another by linking me to some unnamed Christian who takes pleasure in thinking of people burning in hell.

Why should I waste my time trying to have a conversation with you? The Psalms (73 and 37) speak for themselves.
    I misrepresented you once, then I apologised. My other post was an explaination of how my mind was triggered in the first place. I have apologised, and do so again. It was honestly not my intention to to misrepresent you.

I’m still not clear on your motivations for posting those scriptures about judgement though, but if you don’t want to discuss them for some reason then that’s fine.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 08:59
    The Psalms and James 4:14 speak of the shortness of this life when viewed in the context of eternity. The Psalms also speak to God meting out whatever justice is due, and because He’s a perfectly holy and just God, that justice will be appropriate.

“Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.”

(Romans 12:19)
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 09:01
    The Psalms and James 4:14 speak of the shortness of this life when viewed in the context of eternity. The Psalms also speak to God meting out whatever justice is due, and because He’s a perfectly holy and just God, that justice will be appropriate.

“Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.”

(Romans 12:19)
    What does this have to do with people forgiving each other?
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 09:04
    What does this have to do with people forgiving each other?
    I think it’s pretty clear. If you don’t understand it, I’m not of a mind to make it any clearer

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree