Originally posted by Bad wolf
    What we do in life echoes in eternity.
    Meaningless echoes perhaps?
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    29 Mar '07 21:351 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Humans have the most extraordinary ability to imagine they are so self-important, above all the rest of the life on the planet, that they and they alone have a line to some god which they themselves invented. Where does such egotistical and obsessive behavior arise?
    Such self-delusionality robs us of badly needed intelligence. The situation we find ourselv ...[text shortened]... on some invisible and useless god and get on with making things better using our own inititive.
    I think you are correct here....but...I may be agreeing with politically correct mentality here. Let me see how you would handle this....Suppose you and a group of people knew absolutely that the world would be utterly destroyed by some....(you choose your own scenario, ie. comet, etc) and you and your group knew the safe , er only way of escape. Now no one believed you and thought you were an idiot, arrogant, etc., what would you do? Included are your wife and children, friends, etc....would you simply save yourself? Would you not even try, for fear you would be castigated by your own friends and family?
  3. Joined
    23 Jul '05
    Moves
    29 Mar '07 21:35
    Originally posted by whodey
    Meaningless echoes perhaps?
    Perhaps.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Mar '07 21:362 edits
    Perhaps.
    There is no perhaps about it. If there is no God they are meaningless echoes other than to your percieved reality which is in and of itself skewed.

Here is a question to ponder. What gives something meaning?
  5. Joined
    23 Jul '05
    Moves
    29 Mar '07 21:394 edits
    Originally posted by whodey
    There is no perhaps about it. If there is no God they are meaningless echoes other than to your percieved reality which is in and of itself skewed.

That's if there is no God, there may well be, or Muffy...the cosmic teapot...the flying spaghetti monster... who knows? 😕

- I suppose we all have find that out for ourselves, I imagine there would be a wide ranging opinions on the subject.
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    29 Mar '07 22:051 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Humans have the most extraordinary ability to imagine they are so self-important, above all the rest of the life on the planet, that they and they alone have a line to some god which they themselves invented. Where does such egotistical and obsessive behavior arise?
    Such self-delusionality robs us of badly needed intelligence. The situation we find ourselv ...[text shortened]... on some invisible and useless god and get on with making things better using our own inititive.
    Humans have the most extraordinary ability...
    Your assessment appears to impart some ill-defined achievement on the part of man. Do you marvel at his abilities to "imagine" and is such marvel worthy of your alleged awe? Is man somehow elevated owing to his special abilities?
    You should flesh this out some more.
  7. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    29 Mar '07 22:19
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Is man somehow elevated owing to his special abilities?
    One could ask this of dogs, and their ability to smell, or whales, and their ability to deep dive for long periods, or birds, with their ability to fly.

We have the ability to think. We're no more or less special than anything else. We're just more narcissistic.
  8. RDU NC
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 00:19
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    One could ask this of dogs, and their ability to smell, or whales, and their ability to deep dive for long periods, or birds, with their ability to fly.

We have the ability to think. We're no more or less special than anything else. We're just more narcissistic.
    or the irish for their ability to drink, or the scotts for their ability to piss off the english, or the welsh, er, nevermind, not much use for them (except catherine zeta jones 😲)
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 00:35
    That's if there is no God, there may well be, or Muffy...the cosmic teapot...the flying spaghetti monster... who knows? 😕

[b]Here is a question to ponder. What gives something meaning?

- I suppose we all have find that out for ourselves, I imagine there would be a wide ranging opinions on the subject.[/b]
    But if the universe has no meaning, (ie there is no God), then how is it that we know that it has no meaning or that it only has meaning for ourselves?
  10. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 01:47

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

11. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 01:48
    What we do in life echoes in eternity.
    Then there are going to be some real [anuses] in heaven.
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 07:50
    Power corrupts.
    Absolutely power corrupts absolutely.
    No
    Power reveals corruption
    Absolute power will reveal it absolutely
    Kelly
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 07:58
    Originally posted by scottishinnz

Lets see them build a spaceship, mold metal into whatever shape
    they choose, write a book, build a computer, argue a point over
    the internet. You get an animal to do that, I'll take notice. In the
    mean time, I wear their skins as cloths, cook their bodies and eat
    them, crack their eggs open fry them up for breakfast, and so on.
    All the while not think twice about it, let one of them kill one of us,
    it will die if we know about it.
    Kelly
  14. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 08:11
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Lets see them build a spaceship, mold metal into whatever shape
    they choose, write a book, build a computer, argue a point over
    the internet. You get an animal to do that, I'll take notice. In the
    mean time, I wear their skins as cloths, cook their bodies and eat
    them, crack their eggs open fry them up for breakfast, and so on.
    All the while not think twice about it, let one of them kill one of us,
    it will die if we know about it.
    Kelly
    Meaningless fluff.

Our brains, and our opposable thumbs allow us to do these things, but they are merely the technological manifestations of products of our brains.

The fact that you kill animals is nothing to do with anything. For millions of years other animals killed us too.

As I say, narcissism and nothing more.
  15. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 08:341 edit
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    All the while not think twice about it
    Right, and yet you cry bloody murder over the prospect of taking the life of an organism that is less morally considerable than these animals you don't think twice about; an organism that, unlike many of these animals you don't think twice about, is not sentient, cannot suffer, and has no point of view; merely because this particular organism happens to be human. Speciesism makes me sad. :'(

EDIT: I'm even sadder that you don't seem to recognize that we have at least prima facie obligations toward such animals. You should be thinking twice about it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree