1. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 08:45
    Originally posted by whodey
    But if the universe has no meaning, (ie there is no God)
    🙄😵
  2. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 08:48
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    🙄😵
    The meaning is inside this box.
  3. Joined
    23 Jul '05
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 12:151 edit
    But if the universe has no meaning, (ie there is no God), then how is it that we know that it has no meaning or that it only has meaning for ourselves?
    Human intelligence has evolved to recognise this, with human reasoning power we recognise the universe and what we do in it is ultimately meaningless.
    But people need to give meaning to the lives, even knowing that this meaning will ultimately be meaningless, or they become miserable, people need something to strive for.
  4. Joined
    23 Jul '05
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 12:161 edit
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    No
    Power reveals corruption
    Absolute power will reveal it absolutely
    Kelly
    It would depend on what we are talking about...
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 14:03
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    I think you are correct here....but...I may be agreeing with politically correct mentality here. Let me see how you would handle this....Suppose you and a group of people knew absolutely that the world would be utterly destroyed by some....(you choose your own scenario, ie. comet, etc) and you and your group knew the safe , er only way of escape. Now no ...[text shortened]... urself? Would you not even try, for fear you would be castigated by your own friends and family?
    Under that scenerio anyone would try to convince people of what is to happen but it would make sense that if nobody believed you and you knew the only way to save the human race was to get the hell out of course you would jump at the chance to save yourself and as many others as possible. But in the case of humanity v a proported and noticably absent god, people who have been brainwashed for thousands of years get a mindset that is impossible to break, firmly under the false impression humans are somehow better than the rest of the lifeforms on the planet, enough so they can rationalize ANY action, kill off any life, cause extinctions, who cares, we know best because our grandfathers convinced our fathers there is a god up there who will ultimately save our sorry assses. It abrogates responsiblity for ones own actions when you think some invisible entity will come down at the last minute and help our incredibly evolved selves. It's a huge waste of intellectual potential to just give away our ability to think to some uncommunicative being we think we know as god. For one thing, our planet is heirarchical, so why wouldn't the rest of the universe be the same, leading to beings who are only somewhat more advanced than us. Such a being could come down to earth, set up shop, proclaim itself as god and would be able to do some tricks to 'prove it' and then lead us into some destiny we would have never chosen had we known the full story. The only problem with that scenerio is nobody even close to that description ever came down to earth so we are all left with wild imaginings, the most disasterous being Christian and Muslim.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 14:10
    But if the universe has no meaning, (ie there is no God), then how is it that we know that it has no meaning or that it only has meaning for ourselves?
    Why do you make the connection that if there is no god there is no meaning to the universe? Why can't WE make meaning to the universe without the need to connect 'meaning' to a god? So what if the universe is just some incredibly intricate machine? It looks like maybe it will be around in some form or other for eternity. So what?
    We are here. Why can't you just enjoy the universe for what it is and go on with your life almost as if you are personally responsible for your own life rather than subjugating your vaunted intelligence which you have so eloquently described as being far above all others on earth, subjugating this incredible mind power to a non-existant god?
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 14:22
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Meaningless fluff.

Our brains, and our opposable thumbs allow us to do these things, but they are merely the technological manifestations of products of our brains.

The fact that you kill animals is nothing to do with anything. For millions of years other animals killed us too.

As I say, narcissism and nothing more.
    Meaningless fluff? LOL
    Yea, I wonder how many of the 'animals are just like people' people
    eat them for food and snacks and wear their body parts as clothes
    too? You think you are no different than an animal, fine by me. You
    do not raise the bar very high for yourself and others in my opinion,
    which makes human behavior seem more natural when it is filled with
    malice and what not toward each other, after all you think you and
    others are just another beast roaming the world.
    Kelly
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 14:24
    Originally posted by Bad wolf
    It would depend on what we are talking about...
    I'm talking about people.
    Kelly
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 15:38
    Meaningless fluff? LOL
    Yea, I wonder how many of the 'animals are just like people' people
    eat them for food and snacks and wear their body parts as clothes
    too? You think you are no different than an animal, fine by me. You
    do not raise the bar very high for yourself and others in my opinion,
    which makes human behavior seem more natural when it is fil ...[text shortened]... ch other, after all you think you and
    others are just another beast roaming the world.
    Kelly
    So lets put you in the wild with no clothes on your back, no tools, and see how long you survive. With your vaunted super-intelligence wouldn't it just be a matter of time before you have struck oil, manufactured an airplane, built a GPS and flown your way out of the hell-hole you had just been in?
  10. Joined
    23 Jul '05
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 15:521 edit
    I'm talking about people.
    Kelly
    Shall we start a new thread on this so we can discuss it further?

Not exactly to do with God...
  11. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 15:56
    A dog contemplates its people: “They feed me, give me water, pet me when I want, let me in and out as the need arises—their care of me seems to know no bounds. They must be gods!”

A cat contemplates its people: “They feed me, give me water, pet me when I want, let me in and out as the need arises—their care of me seems to know no bounds. I must be a god!”
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 17:02
    Originally posted by Bad wolf
    Shall we start a new thread on this so we can discuss it further?

Not exactly to do with God...
    sure
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 17:042 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So lets put you in the wild with no clothes on your back, no tools, and see how long you survive. With your vaunted super-intelligence wouldn't it just be a matter of time before you have struck oil, manufactured an airplane, built a GPS and flown your way out of the hell-hole you had just been in?
    In a short time I or those that follow me would have all those tools,
    the animals have been around as long as we have, and where are
    all of their tools?
    Kelly
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 17:06
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Lets just give animals the know how to build their own tools, lets just
    do this that or the other thing that may make your point valid besides
    just looking at reality as is.
    Kelly
  15. Joined
    23 Jul '05
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 17:44
    In a short time I or those that follow me would have all those tools,
    the animals have been around as long as we have, and where are
    all of their tools?
    Kelly
    They aren't smart enough to make them, certainly not anything complex.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree