1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Aug '14 23:08
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Americans believe in "freedom of the press" and don't believe one should be executed without due process to prove being guilty of a crime that justifies the death penalty. Not being a Muslim and reporting the news is not a criminal offense nor is it worthy of death by beheading or any other method.
    Nothing is "worthy of death by beheading or any other method". There is no "crime that justifies the death penalty", at least to my way of thinking. As for James Foley, he was murdered in cold blood and filming it and disseminating the video was an act of terrorism.
  2. Joined
    18 Nov '13
    Moves
    22 Aug '14 04:47
    One difference is that Texas only execute those convicted of horrible murders. The USA executed 39 persons in 2013.
    So, am I correct in assuming that you believe in the death penalty, under certain circumstances?
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    23 Aug '14 01:32
    Originally posted by twohybrid
    So, am I correct in assuming that you believe in the death penalty, under certain circumstances?
    Of course. The death Penalty is in the Holy Bible.
  4. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    23 Aug '14 04:331 edit
    The Bible says not to kill yet many Christians support the death penalty
    by Matt Slick

Email: The Bible says it is forbidden to kill, yet many Christians in America support the death penalty and order wars and bombs which kill tens of thousands, yet this is somehow rationalized and an excuse is made as to how this does not violate Christianity, when it plainly does.

Response: First of all, the Bible does not say that it is forbidden to kill. The Bible says that it is forbidden to murder. The old the King James translation is unfortunate. For example, God gives us the right of self-defense, and sometimes in that self-defense it is necessary to kill someone. Furthermore, the Bible supports the death penalty as many Old Testament Scriptures clearly state. So, God is not making a mistake by saying do not kill and yet putting people to death via the death penalty.

Furthermore, murder is the unlawful taking of life. Killing is the lawful taking of life. Therefore, in the issue of taking life we must determine whether it is lawful or not. If a murderer is sentenced to death in a lawful manner via the law of the land, then it is not murder. However, if a person were to rob someone else and kill him in the process, that is not a lawful taking of life and is murder. God never murders because before God, all people are guilty before the holy law that he has given.

Finally, it is not a self-contradiction for a person to condemn murder but believe in the death penalty.

RBHILL: Just like I've said in the past murder and killing are 2 different things.
  5. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    23 Aug '14 06:28
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    God never murders because before God, all people are guilty before the holy law that he has given.
    I doubt you could write another sentence which more neatly exemplifies how religion can make people believe the most odious of things.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Aug '14 08:151 edit
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    I doubt you could write another sentence which more neatly exemplifies how religion can make people believe the most odious of things.
    again its a matter of perspective, for if everyone is under a kind of condemnation then surely it makes one more sympathetic to the plight of others?
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Aug '14 12:05
    What about that little commandment?
  8. Joined
    18 Nov '13
    Moves
    23 Aug '14 13:07
    I assume, then, you approve of the death penalty for homosexuals and adulterers amongst other 'crimes'?
  9. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    24 Aug '14 01:39
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    I now of some atheist liberals that are for abortion and the death penalty.
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    24 Aug '14 03:06
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    The Bible says not to kill yet many Christians support the death penalty
    by Matt Slick

Email: The Bible says it is forbidden to kill, yet many Christians in America support the death penalty and order wars and bombs which kill tens of thousands, yet this is somehow rationalized and an excuse is made as to how this does not violate Christianity, when it p ...[text shortened]... h penalty.

RBHILL: Just like I've said in the past murder and killing are 2 different things.
    But even the old King James Version of the Holy Bible has "MURDER" when Jesus is quoted in the New Testament.
    He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness.

(Matthew 19:18 King James Version KJV)
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    24 Aug '14 06:45
    I assume, then, you approve of the death penalty for homosexuals and adulterers amongst other 'crimes'?
    "But for the cowardly and unbelieving and abominable and murderers and immoral persons and sorcerers and idolaters and all liars, their part will be in the lake that burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death."

(Revelation 21:8 NASB)
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    24 Aug '14 08:36
    "But for the cowardly and unbelieving and abominable and murderers and immoral persons and sorcerers and idolaters and all liars, their part will be in the lake that burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death."

/facepalm

Congratulations on justifying his assumption. I would have attacked his assumption as the twaddle it is by asking if you had actually SAID that, and that no, he had to "assume" you said that so that he could paint you in the worst possible light. But no, you just had to justify his assumption.

This is why I say you do Christians no favors, Ron.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Aug '14 08:511 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Congratulations on justifying his assumption. I would have attacked his assumption as the twaddle it is by asking if you had actually SAID that, and that no, he had to "assume" you said that so that he could paint you in the worst possible light. But no, you just had to justify his assumption.
    Why would you be inclined at all to "attack [twohybrid's] assumption as the twaddle it is" when RJHinds has shared his thoughts on the death penalty umpteen times before on this forum and has never wavered once in his stated beliefs?
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    24 Aug '14 09:062 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    Why would you be inclined at all to "attack [twohybrid's] assumption as the twaddle it is" when RJHinds has shared his thoughts on the death penalty umpteen times before on this forum and has never wavered once in his stated beliefs?
    Misdirection again? Fine, I'll play it.

Nowhere in what RJH said states or even implies twohybrid's assumption. He was, as I said, merely assuming in order to try to paint RJH in the worst possible light, and RJH allowed him to do just that.

You, of all people, should recognize the technique.

Do you ever actually read other people's posts or just enough of it to find some trivial bit you can misdirect onto?
  15. Joined
    18 Nov '13
    Moves
    24 Aug '14 09:07

OK, but do you believe that HUMANS should carry out the death penalty for homosexuals as it says in the Bible?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree