Jesus claimed to be God

Jesus claimed to be God

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
24 Mar 18

Originally posted by @rajk999
Wrong. The life of the Christian changes
when the Spirit of Christ WORKS IN HIM.
And this happens when the Christian follows the commandments.
Confession is mouth worship.
You cannot end your mouthworshipping preaching.. its ingrained in you.
When others speak of good works you cringe.
<<The life of the Christian changes
And this happens when the Christian follows the commandments.>>

So it’s up to a human being to get the Spirit of Christ working? You’re so prideful that you don’t think God’s Holy Spirit can work on His own, that He needs a human being to kickstart Him?

Do you know how ridiculous that sounds?

F

Moves
24 Mar 18

Originally posted by @romans1009
So it’s up to a human being to get the Spirit of Christ working? You’re so prideful that you don’t think God’s Holy Spirit can work on His own, that He needs a human being to kickstart Him?

Do the "Spirit of Christ" and "God’s Holy Spirit" make you want and try to be the best person you can possibly be, to improve yourself, to live your life as well as you possibly can?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
24 Mar 18

Originally posted by @fmf
Do the "Spirit of Christ" and "God’s Holy Spirit" make you want and try to be the best person you can possibly be, to improve yourself, to live your life as well as you possibly can?
Sure. I think that’s true for all Christians (defining Christian as one who has accepted and believes in Jesus Christ and His Resurrection and, as a result, has God’s Holy Spirit indwelling him or her.)

F

Moves
24 Mar 18

Sure. I think that’s true for all Christians (defining Christian as one who has accepted and believes in Jesus Christ and His Resurrection and, as a result, has God’s Holy Spirit indwelling him or her.)
And a Christian's success - or lack of it - in terms of trying to be the best person they can possibly be, to improve themselves, to live their lives as well as they possibly can ~ inspired, as they see themselves as being, by the "Spirit of Christ" and "God’s Holy Spirit" ~ is the subject of "judgement" after they die, in order to ascertain whether the faith they professed was sufficiently sincere, is that right?

T

Moves
24 Mar 18

<<The life of the Christian changes
And this happens when the Christian follows the commandments.>>

John 14
15“If you love Me, you will keep My commandments. 16“[And] I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may be with you forever; 17that is the Spirit of truth....
21“He who has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me; and he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and will disclose Myself to him.”
23Jesus answered and said to him, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our abode with him. 24“He who does not love Me does not keep My words...

Jesus makes it clear that only those who KEEP His commandments / word will have "the Spirit of Truth" / God / Jesus abide in them.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
24 Mar 18

And a Christian's success - or lack of it - in terms of trying to be the best person they can possibly be, to improve themselves, to live their lives as well as they possibly can ~ inspired, as they see themselves as being, by the "Spirit of Christ" and "God’s Holy Spirit" ~ is the subject of "judgement" after they die, in order to ascertain whether the faith they professed was sufficiently sincere, is that right?
Not sure what you mean by “sufficiently sincere.” Sufficiently sincere for what? Salvation?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
24 Mar 18

Originally posted by @thinkofone
John 14
15“If you love Me, you will keep My commandments. 16“[And] I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may be with you forever; 17that is the Spirit of truth....
21“He who has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me; and he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and will disclose Mys ...[text shortened]... se who KEEP His commandments / word will have "the Spirit of Truth" / God / Jesus abide in them.
Jesus is speaking to His disciples in that passage.

F

Moves
24 Mar 18

Not sure what you mean by “sufficiently sincere.” Sufficiently sincere for what? Salvation?
You're the one who uses the word "sincere" all the time as if it's the key attribute and/or cause of you obeying Jesus's commands and doing 'good works'.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
24 Mar 18

You're the one who uses the word "sincere" all the time as if it's the key attribute and/or cause of you obeying Jesus's commands and doing 'good works'.
In what way are you using the term “sufficiently sincere?”

Sufficiently sincere for what? If you don’t want to answer that’s fine, but I’m not interested in arguing for arguing’s sake or your latest round of “gotcha.”

F

Moves
24 Mar 18

In what way are you using the term “sufficiently sincere?”

Sufficiently sincere for what? If you don’t want to answer that’s fine, but I’m not interested in arguing for arguing’s sake or your latest round of “gotcha.”
You use the word "sincere" all the time. Obviously, there are degrees of sincerity.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
24 Mar 18

You use the word "sincere" all the time. Obviously, there are degrees of sincerity.
So you don’t want to answer what you meant by “sufficiently sincere?”

No problem.

F

Moves
24 Mar 18

So you don’t want to answer what you meant by “sufficiently sincere?”

No problem.
You're the one who keeps using the word "sincere" in connection with 'good works' etc. Sincerity comes in degrees. The word "sufficiently" refers to that. "Faith without good works is dead" etc. If there are not the necessary 'good works', then the faith will not be sufficient to attain "salvation". You're the one who talks about sincerity being the key to it.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
24 Mar 18

You're the one who keeps using the word "sincere" in connection with 'good works' etc. Sincerity comes in degrees. The word "sufficiently" refers to that. "Faith without good works is dead" etc. If there are not the necessary 'good works', then the faith will not be sufficient to attain "salvation". You're the one who talks about sincerity being the key to it.
I’m just asking for clarity on what you meant. Do you want to try re-tossing this word salad of yours into something coherent, or should I spend 20 minutes trying to decipher what you’re attempting to say?

F

Moves
24 Mar 18

I’m just asking for clarity on what you meant. Do you want to try re-tossing this word salad of yours into something coherent, or should I spend 20 minutes trying to decipher what you’re attempting to say?
It isn't difficult at all, and I have been raising this with you in a pretty matter of fact way. Here it is in the form of a simple question: What role does how "sincere" a Christian is about their faith play in terms of the way they live their Christian life and do 'good works'?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
24 Mar 18

It isn't difficult at all, and I have been raising this with you in a pretty matter of fact way. Here it is in the form of a simple question: What role does how "sincere" a Christian is about their faith play in terms of the way they live their Christian life and do 'good works'?
I don’t think sincere is the right adjective for what you’re getting at. “Committed” sounds like it makes more sense.

Every Christian’s faith has peaks and valleys and many, including Mother Teresa, suffered crisises of their faith. That doesn’t mean their faith is insincere - faith is fluid and dynamic; it’s not static.

I suppose the sincerity of one’s faith could be proven if he or she does not abandon it in the face of difficulties and hardships, but I’m not sure that’s what you’re getting at.