Literal vs Metaphor challenge

Literal vs Metaphor challenge

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
21 Oct 18

@divegeester said
Everything in my OP from Revelation 19 is metaphorical including eternal suffering references such as the throwing into the lake of fire.

If you disagree please feel completely free to be unequivocal in saying so. Thanks.
I did.

I said, "The terms used are metaphorical descriptions of a literal reality of events that will occur that are beyond your ability to comprehend with the natural mind."

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
21 Oct 18

@secondson said
No. I didn't say all the terms are metaphorical. You did.
What does this mean then?

Lol.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
21 Oct 18

SecondSon one minute you say the terms are metaphorical, then you say you didn't say it, then you say they are again.

Hilarious.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
21 Oct 18

@divegeester said
What does this mean then?

Lol.
It means that all you are able to do is state an opinion.

The narrative in question exists for a reason, and not merely for your amusement. The terms that are metaphorical describe a literal reality that the natural mind cannot conceive, like light waves the eye can't see, or sound beyond the range of the ear.

I get it that the idea of "hell" is abhorrent to you, that's understandable, it is to me too, but what I don't get is how you can think that by saying it is "metaphorical" that it means it doesn't exist as a reality, especially since so much of the scripture is devoted to its description.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
21 Oct 18

@divegeester said
SecondSon one minute you say the terms are metaphorical, then you say you didn't say it, then you say they are again.

Hilarious.
Your confusion is what is hilarious. You appear to be hysterical now.

Loss of focus. Weakening of concentration. Rational dissonance. Evidence of the inability to cope and grapple with concepts too difficult to understand by the natural mind.

Moves
21 Oct 18

@divegeester said
Decliners so far:

KellyJay (later decided it was all literal, all of it)
Chaney3
SecondSon
dj2becker
ThinkofOne (not a Christian but a claimed follower of some of the words of Jesus but only while he was on earth)
Sonship
You should add your own name to the list as well.

w

Moves
21 Oct 18
2 edits

@chaney3 said
I'm a Christian.
Maybe not a good one, because of doubt, but I am a Christian.
If there was no doubt then you would have not faith, and if you had no faith then there would be no religion, and if there was no religion then we would have world wide theocracy everyone would have to accept, and if we had theocracy we would have no freedom.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
21 Oct 18

@kellyjay said
Yes
So the 'Son of Man coming in his kingdom' in Matthew 16:28 relates to the Resurrected Jesus, not the second coming?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
21 Oct 18

@ghost-of-a-duke said
So the 'Son of Man coming in his kingdom' in Matthew 16:28 relates to the Resurrected Jesus, not the second coming?
The second coming has not occurred yet, but He has risen from the dead, and more than a handful saw Him after that.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
21 Oct 18

@secondson said
It means that all you are able to do is state an opinion.

The narrative in question exists for a reason, and not merely for your amusement. The terms that are metaphorical describe a literal reality that the natural mind cannot conceive, like light waves the eye can't see, or sound beyond the range of the ear.

I get it that the idea of "hell" is abhorrent to you, that ...[text shortened]... doesn't exist as a reality, especially since so much of the scripture is devoted to its description.
You said you didn’t say they were metaphors and you did! twice!

Your dodging and deflecting is hilarious. You hold to indefensible beliefs about eternal torture and simply cannot decide if the stuff in Revelation is literal of not.

No wonder the atheists laugh.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
21 Oct 18

@secondson said
Your confusion is what is hilarious. You appear to be hysterical now.

Loss of focus. Weakening of concentration. Rational dissonance. Evidence of the inability to cope and grapple with concepts too difficult to understand by the natural mind.
Are the terms in from Revelation in my OP literal or not?

It’s a simple question big tough man. Come on.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
21 Oct 18

I wish Josephw was here to see this.

Perhaps he is 🤔

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
21 Oct 18

@whodey said
If there was no doubt then you would have not faith, and if you had no faith then there would be no religion, and if there was no religion then we would have world wide theocracy everyone would have to accept, and if we had theocracy we would have no freedom.
And where there is no freedom there is fear.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
21 Oct 18

@ghost-of-a-duke said
It can mean both, but from the context, since Jesus' disciples were who Jesus was talking to, and they did not die before his resurrection, "coming in his kingdom" is a reference to his resurrection, which is necessary to enter the kingdom.

Seeing Jesus after His resurrection is seeing Him "coming in his kingdom", then, and all the way out to the end of the millennium.

Those who believe in the death, burial and resurrection "see" the resurrected Lord Jesus Christ and are presently in the kingdom, which will come to fruition at His literal second advent.

Have no doubt. No matter how anyone tries to "ToO it", not a single prophecy will fail. Jesus is coming, and He will establish His kingdom on this earth.

Get in now!

T

Moves
21 Oct 18

Given the title of this thread, one would think that some may realize that in Matthew 16:28, Jesus is speaking of a metaphorical "death".

But then, given the caliber of the posters on this forum...