1. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    06 Sep '15 05:02
    Originally posted by vistesd
    I’m running out of steam for the night—but, yes, that is a well-argued analogy. (And likely indicative that this will be a good thread.) But—

That is just why I think the gospel is a scandal and foolishness (1st Corinthians 1:23): because it undoes our desire for signs or wisdom (including signs of reasonableness, the practical wisdom of fairness and j ...[text shortened]... a[/i]—“kingdom” ) of God is just for those who abide by the rules—no need for the gospel at all.
    If the sovereign realm (basileia—“kingdom” ) of God is just for those who abide by the rules—no need for the gospel at all.

Actually, the gospel (or good news) is needed because no one is able to abide by the rules perfectly and all the time. God isn't interested in good people or perfect people, because in God's eyes these people don't exist. Being good enough in God's eyes means the person is humble enough to admit he isnt good enough, and acknowledges needing God's help and forgiveness.

This is Christianity 101, and it's very easy to understand. Yeshua said he did not come to save the righteous, he came to save sinners... this makes sense because why would anyone who is already righteous and perfect need fogiveness? It was a brilliant statement, because he said this to religious leaders who acted as though they were righteous even though they were well aware of scripture saying NO one is righteous.
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    06 Sep '15 06:54
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    [b]If the sovereign realm (basileia—“kingdom” ) of God is just for those who abide by the rules—no need for the gospel at all.

Actually, the gospel (or good news) is needed because no one is able to abide by the rules perfectly and all the time. God isn't interested in good people or perfect people, because in God's eyes these people don't exist. B ...[text shortened]... gh they were righteous even though they were well aware of scripture saying NO one is righteous.[/b]
    Well said.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Sep '15 08:231 edit
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Who said anyone deserves a seat in Heaven?
    Would you give up your place in heaven for someone else?
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Sep '15 08:30
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Seems most religions have a set of moral codes to be followed. Ostensibly "believers" would adhere to them simply because they believe that they are right.

Of course, for most if not all religions it's not that simple. There are all manner of interesting self-centered beliefs when it comes to adherence.

The most basic set of self-centered beliefs in ...[text shortened]... hat it's impossible to adhere to the moral code which serves to relieve the "believer" of guilt.
    Just say what you mean without the circumlocution.

"Christianity is self-centered."

Oh, I see now why you did it that way. It does sound kinda stupid when you just blurt out what you mean.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Sep '15 08:33
    NRS 1 Corinthians 13:1 If I speak in the tongues of mortals and of angels, but do not have love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give away all my possessions, and if I hand ov ...[text shortened]... the whole law is summed up in a single commandment, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself."
    Sooooooooo....

NOT "self-centered". Right. Glad you agree.
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    06 Sep '15 10:41
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Who said anyone deserves a seat in Heaven?
    Wasn't that Jesus?
  7. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    06 Sep '15 10:582 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    My favorite question on this topic is 'would you give up your seat in heaven to someone else if the option was available'? It seems like the loving thing to do.
    I have considered vistesd's response and agree that I would most probably swop with a loved one if the choice were offered - but what affects this decision is that (although I do not believe in a hell) in this hypothetical case I feel that there would still be an opportunity at some stage for this place to be abolished, by the mercy of God - so maybe I am ducking the question as well.

It is well known that Paul wrote in Romans that he would wish te be accursed if only Israel could be saved. So there is an example of one really unselfish and loving dude.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Sep '15 13:56
    It all comes down to the age old question: is being good for self serving reasons as good as being good for the sake of being good?
    And should we actually be good for the sake of being good? If so, why?

Jesus says the law is to be loving, but are you truly loving if you do it because its the law? Why follow Jesus in the first place?
  9. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    06 Sep '15 14:02
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    It all comes down to the age old question: is being good for self serving reasons as good as being good for the sake of being good?
    And should we actually be good for the sake of being good? If so, why?

Jesus says the law is to be loving, but are you truly loving if you do it because its the law? Why follow Jesus in the first place?
    It has beem shown that animals that exhibit altruistic behaviour, i.e. being good (a.k.a. loving) to others for no obvious return, derive ultimate benefit due to reciprocated action. Hence it seems to be an evolutionary driver, at least in some herd animals. Examples are elephants and other mammals looking after each others' young.
  10. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    06 Sep '15 14:032 edits
    Originally posted by CalJust
    I have considered vistesd's response and agree that I would most probably swop with a loved one if the choice were offered - but what affects this decision is that (although I do not believe in a hell) in this hypothetical case I feel that there would still be an opportunity at some stage for this place to be abolished, by the mercy of God - so maybe I am du ...[text shortened]... d if only Israel could be saved. So there is an example of one really unselfish and loving dude.
    Yeah, perhaps the hypothetical is too easy for me too. I thought of Paul’s statement that perfect love casts out all fear. I think of the mother that rushes headlong into the street to save her child—not as the result of some well-thought-out considerations on love versus self-centeredness, but without a thought. Or the lover who would instantly change places with the beloved who is dying—without any moralizing or philosophizing or theologizing at all.

And there is a danger that I did not pay sufficient attention to last night: that of turning love into one more moral ought, about which one can feel morally superior. And that feeds right back into ToO’s opening post, where I can pat myself on the back for being “more loving” (or maybe just thinking that I am more loving) and so not self-centered at all—ooops!

It seems to me there is clearly a paradox in the two great commandments to love—a bit like a Zen koan perhaps. A commandment to do what is beyond what can effectively be commanded. Obedience can be commanded; acts of compassion or generosity can be commanded; even worship (of a kind) can be commanded—but love with all one’s heart, mind and soul? I think not. The fullness of agape as the Greek church still understands it? I think not.

And so what is required is not obedience—but a metanoia, a radical turning over of the heart-mind, the mind’s eye.* And for that? I think a kind of confident openness to the possibility (faith), and charis.

Then again (self-centeredness?), who would not want to walk in that place, in that way of being, where all fear is absent?**

If I came across as “holier than thou” in my prior responses, I apologize. I am humbled by my lack of both faith (as I have described it elsewhere and above) and love. It is myself that needs to be opened up, not others.

* That is, in Greek, the nous, not dianoia—the latter being the faculty of reasoning/ratiocination. Aquinas translated them, respectively, as intellectus and rationis (if I have the Latin right). But “intellect”, as nous is still sometimes translated into English, has come to pretty much mean the faculty of discursive reasoning. (I’m following somewhat the Greek Orthodox usage here. I think nous is also related to direct apprehension—closer to how we perceive the world, in a sense, perhaps aesthetically, rather than how we think about what we perceive.) The root of gnosis, in the Pauline sense, as opposed to episteme.

** I realize that there are, in psychological terms, two types of fear: primary fear—which is the natural survival response—and secondary fear, which is like a maladapted version of primary fear: anxiety, panic attacks without a clear and present danger, that kind of thing. I might think of the example of the mother as a more or less spontaneous extending of that primary survival response to the loved one.
  11. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    06 Sep '15 14:09
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    [b]If the sovereign realm (basileia—“kingdom” ) of God is just for those who abide by the rules—no need for the gospel at all.

Actually, the gospel (or good news) is needed because no one is able to abide by the rules perfectly and all the time. God isn't interested in good people or perfect people, because in God's eyes these people don't exist. B ...[text shortened]... gh they were righteous even though they were well aware of scripture saying NO one is righteous.[/b]
    Agreed. In other terms: the one who is perfectly healthy is not the one who needs the physician.
  12. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    06 Sep '15 15:011 edit
    Agreed. In other terms: the one who is perfectly healthy is not the one who needs the physician.
    But in Jesus' statement it seems to be the "better" thing to be needing a physician, i.e. to have the self-knowledge that one is sick in some way. That seems to indicate that the awareness of sin is a means by which God draws us to him.

In that sense sin has a positive aspect - it draws us to God, rather than the self-righteous pharisees that were totally oblivious of their sin, which was obvious to all others.

Of course, the Rasputin doctrine can easily follow if we are not careful.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    06 Sep '15 15:44
    I disagree emphatically. Can I say that I would do so for just anyone? No. And that is my failure at radical agape. But are here those that I love enough to do so? Emphatically--I cannot imagine doing otherwise. I cannot imagine that doing otherwise would represent love.

I don't mean to imply that this is because I'm somehow "good". Just that I know a love deep enough that there are those for whom I cannot imagine doing otherwise.
    In doing so myself, I agree with your stance wholeheartedly.
    But a Christian who is "in Christ" lays his/her will/life, aside for the one who died for them. I will do what Christ would have me do.
    When I chose to receive him as Lord of my life, I gave up my right to follow my own path.
    I am free to choose, but I try with all my being to submit to him.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    06 Sep '15 15:46
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Why do you assume you and not the other bloke deserves the seat in heaven?
    I do not assume anything, I am not the judge.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Sep '15 15:48
    It seems to me there is clearly a paradox in the two great commandments to love—a bit like a Zen koan perhaps. A commandment to do what is beyond what can effectively be commanded.
    That is an excellent way to put it. Chinese philosophy has a similar paradox whereby you try to achieve 'the way' in order to benefit from it, but at the same time, seeking 'the way' for gain will not get you there.

In both cases the question then is 'why should we do it?'. Why should one obeys Christs commandment if there is not personal benefit, or why should one seek 'the way'?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree