1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Mar '06 11:56
    What do you think?
    There are a lot but here is one that sticks in my craw:
    Original Sin. Now there is a nice lovely concept only a true forgiving god would have invented, eh.
    Hey Kid, I am your father, yea do I verily say unto you, thou art vile from thy very birth. Thou must accept the lord jesus christ as your personal savior or thou be damned to burn in hell forever and ever.
    Ever burn your finger? Verily, hell is like that but all over your body for ever and ever. So do you accept christ as your personal savior? Say now or forever be damned.
    I think of that as vile, a little kid, say, 6 yo, his dad is his personal god already. So now he finds out he is already evil. So millions of little impressionable kids get that rot at a very young age and no wonder they fall into the trap of christianity.
  2. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    17 Mar '06 12:01
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    What do you think?
    Original Sin. Now there is a nice lovely concept only a true forgiving god would have invented, eh.
    Hey Kid, I am your father, yea do I verily say unto you, thou art vile from thy very birth. Thou must accept the lord jesus christ as your personal savior or thou be damned to bur ...[text shortened]... ble kids get that rot at a very young age and no wonder they fall into the trap of christianity.
    Personally, I think it takes away independant thought, and the need to take responsibility for your own actions, without the devil or some other boogyman to blame.

Live in the real world people - the truth will set you free.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Mar '06 12:13
    What do you think?
    Hey Kid, I am your father, yea do I verily say unto you, thou art vile from thy very birth. Thou must accept the lord jesus christ as your personal savior or thou be damned to bur ...[text shortened]... ble kids get that rot at a very young age and no wonder they fall into the trap of christianity.
    Not sure if this counts but the concept that if someone is Christian then you should support him even when his actions are clearly not Christian. This is taken advantage of by politicians and church leaders alike. Not unique to Christianity but vile all the same.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Mar '06 12:251 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Not sure if this counts but the concept that if someone is Christian then you should support him even when his actions are clearly not Christian. This is taken advantage of by politicians and church leaders alike. Not unique to Christianity but vile all the same.
    i'm not too sure where, but there is a verse in the bible about never giving recomendation to a guilty person.

i don't suggest anyone try this, but if you were to walk up to most Christians and repeatedly puch them in the head then they more than likely going to punch you back. this is not acceptable Christianity behaviour, yet that Christian is one i wouldn't hesitate to help.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Mar '06 12:40
    Originally posted by Kaboooomba
    i'm not too sure where, but there is a verse in the bible about never giving recomendation to a guilty person.

i don't suggest anyone try this, but if you were to walk up to most Christians and repeatedly puch ...[text shortened]... not acceptable Christianity behaviour, yet that Christian is one i wouldn't hesitate to help.
    You are twisting what he just said. He was not talking about someone
    coming up and bashing a christian, he was talking about a christian doing a vile act and other christians thinking its ok because the end justifies the means, since by definition, christianity is the only true religion, if he is killing people to convert some of them to that true faith then more power to him. THATS what he is considering vile and I couldn't agree more.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Mar '06 12:49
    You are twisting what he just said. He was not talking about someone
    coming up and bashing a christian, he was talking about a christian doing a vile act and other christians thinking its ok because the end justifies the means, since by definition, christianity is the only true religion, if he is killing people to convert some of them to that true faith then more power to him. THATS what he is considering vile and I couldn't agree more.
    i answered that in my first sentence.

my second paragraph was a similar situation which could be confused with the first.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Mar '06 13:08
    Originally posted by Kaboooomba

i don't suggest anyone try this, but if you were to walk up to most Christians and repeatedly puch ...[text shortened]... not acceptable Christianity behaviour, yet that Christian is one i wouldn't hesitate to help.
    Some examples of what I was talking about:
    The former president in my country Zambia, claimed to be a born again Christian. He spent much of his time visiting Churches and giving them money in exchange for thier support (outright bribery). Many chrisitians in the country supported him (and voted for him) solely on the basis that he was Christian and overlooked the fact that he never once to my knowledge acted in a Christian way.
    I believe that George Bush gets simmilar support.
    I know a number of people who will believe anything thier pastor tells them because "he's a man of God"

Although not in the same category of what I was talking about is the crimes that Catholic priests have been known to get away with.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Mar '06 13:234 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Some examples of what I was talking about:
    The former president in my country Zambia, claimed to be a born again Christian. He spent much of his time visiting Churches and giving them money in exchange for thier support (outright bribery). Many chrisitians in the country supported him (and voted for him) solely on the basis that he was Christian and over hat I was talking about is the crimes that Catholic priests have been known to get away with.
    These are good examples you have brought up.

None of those people are Jesus and like everyone they also make mistakes in life. if they do believe in Jesus and realise the mistakes they have/do make then they will care about fixing what was/is wrong. sometimes this ain't just a simple decision. sometimes hateful people see this and the unGodly actions they take keep them in a trap... the problems keep their existance.
  9. London
    Moves
    17 Mar '06 13:45
    Hey Kid, I am your father, yea do I verily say unto you, thou art vile from thy very birth. Thou must accept the lord jesus christ as your personal savior or thou be damned to burn in hell forever and ever.
    You're taking a minority position in Christianity and then tarring all of Christianity with it.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Mar '06 13:56
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    You're taking a minority position in Christianity and then tarring all of Christianity with it.
    better everyone has a place in christianity than none at all. tar me 😉.
  11. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    17 Mar '06 14:12
    Might not be a minority position where sonhouse lives...
  12. London
    Moves
    17 Mar '06 14:15
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Might not be a minority position where sonhouse lives...
    1.6bn Christians worldwide.

I'm willing to bet sonhouse doesn't live in a region where 800mn of them live.
  13. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    17 Mar '06 14:21
    1.6bn Christians worldwide. I'm willing to bet sonhouse doesn't live in a region where 800mn of them live.
    I meant sonhouse might live in a state where most Christians were pretty fundamentalist about things. It's possible, you know. Something's got him pretty riled up about it, anyhow.

How'd they come up with that 1.6bn, anyhow?
  14. London
    Moves
    17 Mar '06 14:29
    I meant sonhouse might live in a state where most Christians were pretty fundamentalist about things. It's possible, you know. Something's got him pretty riled up about it, anyhow.

Roughly:

1bn Catholics + 300mn Orthodox + 300mn Protestants
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Mar '06 14:301 edit

hodge conjecture.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree