1. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    17 Mar '06 14:39
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    1bn Catholics + 300mn Orthodox + 300mn Protestants
    Yes. How do they go about counting how many of them there are? Baptism certificates? Census reports? I want to know if I'm on the list or not.
  2. London
    Moves
    17 Mar '06 14:43
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Yes. How do they go about counting how many of them there are? Baptism certificates? Census reports? I want to know if I'm on the list or not.
    National census reports, I suppose.

Although the Catholic Church does compile its own statistics - presumably a combination of baptisms, funerals and parish registrations.
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    17 Mar '06 14:47
    National census reports, I suppose. Although the Catholic Church does compile its own statistics - presumably a combination of baptisms, funerals and parish registrations.
    I'd wager that the number of practising Christians was significantly lower. I was confirmed in church, so I might well count as Christian!
  4. London
    Moves
    17 Mar '06 14:50
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    I'd wager that the number of practising Christians was significantly lower.
    That would be true, but I strongly doubt you're going to end up lower than about 600-700mn worldwide.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Mar '06 17:08

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. London
    Moves
    17 Mar '06 17:401 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    But I could not stand the Jesus born of mary through the immaculate conception bla bla bla crap every single sunday.
    Actually, Jesus was born of Mary through the Virgin Birth. The Immaculate Conception refers to the conception of Mary herself - I strongly doubt your Methodist church would teach it.

Perhaps you didn't learn as much about Christianity as you thought you did.
  7. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    17 Mar '06 17:59
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    What do you think?
    There are a lot but here is one that sticks in my craw:
    Original Sin. Now there is a nice lovely concept only a true forgiving god would have invented, eh.
    Hey Kid, I am your father, yea do I verily say unto you, thou art vile from thy very birth. Thou must accept the lord jesus christ as your personal savior or thou be damned to bur ...[text shortened]... ble kids get that rot at a very young age and no wonder they fall into the trap of christianity.
    The concept of original sin as you have described it is utterly vile and repulsive and ugly but it's not Christianity I recognise as valid in any shape or form. Do you ever wonder whether this is what Christianity REALLY says? Have you considered the idea that God himself finds this concept infinitely more vile than you do because it is tragic missrepresentation of the tenderness and infinite value he feels for all of us. Infact I would go as far as to suggest that the reason you find it so vile is because God put a sense of the beauty and precioussness of human beings in your soul in the first place.

"The God I believe in is not the God you don't believe in" CS LEWIS
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 Mar '06 18:141 edit
    Actually, Jesus was born of Mary through the Virgin Birth. The Immaculate Conception refers to the conception of Mary herself - I strongly doubt your Methodist church would teach it.

Perhaps you didn't learn as much about Christianity as you thought you did.
    Perhaps you should avoid such insufferable snotnosery; while technically you are correct, his context showed he was referring to Jesus' conception. You can't expect everyone on Planet Earth to make the hair splitting distinctions that the RCC does. Also if you want to be hypertechnical, if he was referring to THE Immaculate Conception he would have capitalized it, so he must not have been. Correct? Since Jesus was conceived without Original Sin his was an "immaculate conception" as well.
  9. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    17 Mar '06 19:23
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Perhaps you should avoid such insufferable snotnosery; while technically you are correct, his context showed he was referring to Jesus' conception. You can't expect everyone on Planet Earth to make the hair splitting distinctions that the RCC does. Also if you want to be hypertechnical, if he was referring to THE Immaculate Conception he would have capit ...[text shortened]... ? Since Jesus was conceived without Original Sin his was an "immaculate conception" as well.
    You're not stalking LH, are you marauder ?
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 Mar '06 19:26
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    You're not stalking LH, are you marauder ?
    Unlike you, I'm on topic and not simply making the same complaints about another user in dozens, perhaps hundreds, of threads.
  11. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    17 Mar '06 19:34
    Unlike you, I'm on topic and not simply making the same complaints about another user in dozens, perhaps hundreds, of threads.
    LH was simply correct. You are simply whining ....
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 Mar '06 19:412 edits
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    LH was simply correct. You are simply whining ....
    No, he wasn't as my post points out. As sonhouse didn't use capital letters to refer to "The Immaculate Conception" and since Jesus' conception was just as much an "immaculate conception" as Mary's, it's quite possible that a Protestant pastor MIGHT use that term in referring to Jesus' birth. Not all of them adhere to the nitpicking distinctions favored by LH and the RCC.

And "whining" is an asinine term to use to refer to my post. The tone of LH's post was insulting and demeaning; the fact that he avoids certain more direct terminology than others do does not make it less so.
  13. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    17 Mar '06 19:481 edit
    No, he wasn't as my post points out. As sonhouse didn't use capital letters to refer to "The Immaculate Conception" and since Jesus' conception was just as much an "immaculate conception" as Mary's, it's quite possible that a Protestant pastor MIGHT use that term in referring to Jesus' birth. Not all of them adhere to the nitpicking distinctions favored he avoids certain more direct terminology than others do does not make it less so.
    Are you rebuking LH for being insulting and demeaning ? Is this really coming from you, loudmouth ?

Marauder: " .... the fact that he avoids certain more direct terminology than others ... "

Are you referring to yourself here ? Really, marauder ......
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 Mar '06 19:50

15. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    17 Mar '06 19:54

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree