Personal Relationship with Jesus

Personal Relationship with Jesus

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
29 Dec 12

Originally posted by FMF
Yep. I used to believe stuff like this too when I was a Christian.
"Boilerplate" so you don't have to actually think about it?

F

Moves
29 Dec 12

Originally posted by Suzianne
"Boilerplate" so you don't have to actually think about it?
I don't know what you mean.

j

Dublin Ireland

Moves
29 Dec 12

Originally posted by FMF
I don't know what you mean.
That's not a very nice thing to do to your girlfriend.

Why would you boil her plate?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
29 Dec 12

Originally posted by FMF
So you say. But now you have met someone whose experience contradicts your assumption.
Well since Jesus said He'd never leave us or forsake us, I'll take His Word over
yours.
Kelly

w

Moves
29 Dec 12
2 edits

I've always looked upon it as a walk with God. That means praying, worshipping, seeking him, studying the Bible, build relationships within the body of Christ, etc. and involving God in your everyday life. In short, it is an active faith that you incorporate into your life as you step out in faith concerning what you perceive God's will is.

Without this active faith, your faith will more than likely shrival up and die and mean nothing to you other than just an intellectual exercise acknowledging that God exists or merely attending church.

F

Moves
29 Dec 12

Originally posted by KellyJay
Well since Jesus said He'd never leave us or forsake us, I'll take His Word over
yours.
Well you're still a Christian, so it makes sense to you, presumably. I used to think the same sorts of things as you do, but I am not a Christian anymore, so I am not claiming 'Jesus left me'. I find it odd that you still think this is what I am claiming. It must have something to do with whatever personal affirmation you are seeking by insisting that a person cannot lose their faith.

F

Moves
29 Dec 12

Originally posted by whodey
Without this active faith, your faith will more than likely shrival up and die and mean nothing to you other than just an intellectual exercise acknowledging that God exists or merely attending church.
Based on my experience, I think people can stop believing - for both spiritual and intellectual reasons - regardless of whether the exercise of those beliefs had been "active" or "passive" in the ways you suggest.

w

Moves
29 Dec 12

Originally posted by FMF
Based on my experience, I think people can stop believing - for both spiritual and intellectual reasons - regardless of whether the exercise of those beliefs had been "active" or "passive" in the ways you suggest.
So based upon your experience, what was the cause?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
29 Dec 12

Originally posted by FMF
Well you're still a Christian, so it makes sense to you, presumably. I used to think the same sorts of things as you do, but I am not a Christian anymore, so I am not claiming 'Jesus left me'. I find it odd that you still think this is what I am claiming. It must have something to do with whatever personal affirmation you are seeking by insisting that a person cannot lose their faith.
I do not think Christ left you, I've been very clear about that.
Kelly

F

Moves
29 Dec 12

So based upon your experience, what was the cause?
I've had friends convert from Islam to Christianity, from Christianity to Islam, from atheism to theism, from theism to atheism, from adhering to a religion to being a non-religionist etc. etc. When it comes right down to it, if the necessary folklore and dogma doesn't work for someone anymore, then they have the choice of either pretending to believe, or being open and honest about how they have stopped believing.

F

Moves
29 Dec 12

Originally posted by KellyJay
I do not think Christ left you, I've been very clear about that.
I've been very clear too. I am not claiming that "Christ left" me either.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
29 Dec 12

Originally posted by FMF
I've had friends convert from Islam to Christianity, from Christianity to Islam, from atheism to theism, from theism to atheism, from adhering to a religion to being a non-religionist etc. etc. When it comes right down to it, if the necessary folklore and dogma doesn't work for someone anymore, then they have the choice of either pretending to believe, or being open and honest about how they have stopped believing.
I believe it is good that you are open and honest, because pretending never really works, it only seems to. 😏

w

Moves
29 Dec 12

Originally posted by FMF
So when the dogma "doesn't work for someone anymore" I think is an accurate way to put things.

Typically people only want to embrace dogma that is beneficial for what they want to do. It is a rare thing when serving self takes a back seat to dogma.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
29 Dec 12

Originally posted by FMF
I've been very clear too. I am not claiming that "Christ left" me either.
I get it. You are claiming you left Christ, like Judas Iscariot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judas_Iscariot

F

Moves
29 Dec 12
1 edit

So when the dogma "doesn't work for someone anymore" I think is an accurate way to put things.

Typically people only want to embrace dogma that is beneficial for what they want to do. It is a rare thing when serving self takes a back seat to dogma.
No, I am talking about not believing something. I am talking about someone realizing that they do not believe the content of the dogma. And I am talking about someone being honest about that. Dogma "not working for someone anymore" is just a figure of speech, whodey. It's about whether the "embrace" of dogma is genuine or whether it involves pretending.