pope caving in ?

pope caving in ?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
326d
1 edit

@ghost-of-a-duke said
I am a heterosexual. If I was a theist I would no doubt think that was the way God made me. - I Imagine a gay Christian who feels their homosexuality is part of who they are (not a choice) would similarly view themselves as what God made them and not see themselves as a sinner.

Or do you think a gay person can choose not to be gay?
No, I don't think homosexuality is a choice. But if I were a a gay Christian, I might accept that homosexual sex - as opposed to my homosexuality- was "sinful" if that was the teaching of my church and therefore endeavour - i.e. exercise my choice - to abstain from it.

Of course, as an atheist, who does not subscribe to the notion of "sin", I would not encourage them to see their sexual orientation [and the informed, consensual sex they have] as being wrong.

Are there any other behaviours where, to your way of thinking, whether or not they are "sinful" is the choice of the individual?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
326d

@ghost-of-a-duke said

I imagine Rajk would have provided indirect passages about all life being precious etc.
If you want him to appear, you have to say his name three times while standing in front of a mirror.

F

Moves
326d

@suzianne said
If you want him to appear, you have to say his name three times while standing in front of a mirror.
As your neighbour, you love him though, right?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
326d

@fmf said
As your neighbour, you love him though, right?
Why don't you ask him that when he skates away into his riff about me being "evil" or "of the devil"?

F

Moves
326d

@suzianne said
Why don't you ask him that when he skates away into his riff about me being "evil" or "of the devil"?
Have you yourself not frequently condemned fellow Christians with whom you have political and theological differences as "evil" over the last decade here?

F

Moves
326d

@suzianne said
The likes of sonship and KellyJay and josephw have riffed about people being "evil" or "of the devil" innumerable times over the years. Are they your neighbours whom you love, nevertheless?

F

Moves
326d

@suzianne said
As your neighbour, you love Rajk999 regardless, right?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
325d

@fmf said
No, I don't think homosexuality is a choice. But if I were a a gay Christian, I might accept that homosexual sex - as opposed to my homosexuality- was "sinful" if that was the teaching of my church and therefore endeavour - i.e. exercise my choice - to abstain from it.

Of course, as an atheist, who does not subscribe to the notion of "sin", I would not encourage them to see t ...[text shortened]... rs where, to your way of thinking, whether or not they are "sinful" is the choice of the individual?
How about thinking we are better than others, as you're doing in this very post?

F

Moves
325d

@suzianne said
How about thinking we are better than others, as you're doing in this very post?
The post of mine you are replying to has nothing whatsoever to do with "thinking we are better than others".

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
325d
1 edit

@fmf said
The likes of sonship and KellyJay and josephw have riffed about people being "evil" or "of the devil" innumerable times over the years. Are they your neighbours whom you love, nevertheless?
Galveston75 [a professed “Christian”] once famously told me that he thought I was “worse than Satan”.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
325d
1 edit

@fmf said
On celibacy, Jesus said:

“Not everyone can accept this word, but only those to whom it has been given. For there are eunuchs who were born that way, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by others—and there are those who choose to live like eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it.” (Matthew 19:11)

He doesn't ask those who can not accept it, or to whom it was not given, to be celibate.

I think a differentiation should be made between Christian teaching (especially when not backed up by scripture) and the teachings of Christ.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
325d

@divegeester said
Galveston75 [a professed “Christian”] once famously told me that he thought I was “worse than Satan”.
I thought that was Robbie?

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
325d
1 edit

@fmf said
Are there any other behaviours where, to your way of thinking, whether or not they are "sinful" is the choice of the individual?
Sure. Murder or lying are choices, and are viewed by scripture as sinful.

Again, being gay isn't a choice (despite what some Christians have claimed in this forum) and our (apparently) shared view that it isn't healthy/advisable for a gay person to resort to celibacy seems to be shared by Jesus, in the above passage. (Matthew 19:11)

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
325d

@ghost-of-a-duke said
I thought that was Robbie?
No it was Galveston75

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
325d
1 edit

@ghost-of-a-duke said
On celibacy, Jesus said:

“Not everyone can accept this word, but only those to whom it has been given. For there are eunuchs who were born that way, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by others—and there are those who choose to live like eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it.” (Matthew 19:11)

He ...[text shortened]... between Christian teaching (especially when not backed up by scripture) and the teachings of Christ.
This is an interesting passage in which Jesus does not openly condemn sinners outright. This is saying something I have suggested many times. There are 3 classes of people in the world. Chances are most will eventually end up in the Kingdom of God. As Paul also said, all men in their own order.

Group 1 is the people who have kept the commandments and done whatever is necessary to live righteously. As Jesus said, its not for all people. God has called this people and they are naturally righteous and have no problem keeping the commandments. These form the kings and priests who rule with Christ during the millennial reign

Group 2 are those who are converted during the millennium. Most people fall in this group.

Group 3 those who are hardened evil people and are destroyed along with Satan and his angels.

Just my opinion. Sinners are not necessarily doomed. There is still a while to go for that to happen.