pope caving in ?

pope caving in ?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
338d

@fmf said
I am not a Christian. I am not a Christian teacher. I do not propagate Christian teachings. I don't seek to justify this theological position or that theological position. If you want to know why the view that homosexual sex and abortion are "sinful" is widespread among Christians, you should discuss it with Christians .
Then why are you speaking of Christian teachings you clearly know nothing about?

When you state that Christian teachings say abortion is sinful, it is not unreasonable to be asked to evidence that statement.

F

Moves
338d

@ghost-of-a-duke said
My opinion is that you are unable to back up your claim that Christian teaching says abortion is sinful?
I am not interested in backing anything up. If you say I am wrong, then you say I am wrong. So be it. If you believe "homosexual sex is not sinful" is a tenet of Christianity", so be it

Moves
338d

@fmf said
I am not interested in backing anything up. If you say I am wrong, then you say I am wrong. So be it. If you believe "homosexual sex is not sinful" is a tenet of Christianity", so be it
If I claimed Christian teaching said eating potatoes was sinful it would be perfectly reasonable for you to ask me to back up that claim.

F

Moves
337d
1 edit

@ghost-of-a-duke said
When you state that Christian teachings say abortion is sinful, it is not unreasonable to be asked to evidence that statement.
If you feel the notion that homosexual sex is not "sinful" is correct, and this is what you believe, then I have successfully canvassed your opinion. I am not interested in the theological argument. Same goes for abortion.

Moves
337d

@fmf said
If you feel the notion that homosexual sex is not "sinful" is correct, and this is what you believe, then I have successfully canvassed your opinion. I am not interested in the theological argument. Same goes for abortion.
And yet you refuse to provide the basis for your own opinion.

What Christian teachings exactly have convinced you that abortion is viewed as sinful?

Anything?

F

Moves
337d

@ghost-of-a-duke said
If I claimed Christian teaching said eating potatoes was sinful it would be perfectly reasonable for you to ask me to back up that claim.
If you claimed that, I wouldn't ask you for evidence. I would just ignore it. If a Christian claimed it, perhaps I would ask them if their endeavours to walk the Christian walk would involve abstaining from eating potatoes

F

Moves
337d

@ghost-of-a-duke said
And yet you refuse to provide the basis for your own opinion.
As I have said, if you insist that I am wrong, then I accept that that is your view.

Moves
337d

@fmf said
If you claimed that, I wouldn't ask you for evidence. I would just ignore it. If a Christian claimed it, perhaps I would ask them if their endeavours to walk the Christian walk would involve abstaining from eating potatoes
Best not to speak of Christian teachings you clearly have scant knowledge of.

Rajk would have fired back with at least 5 biblical references.

F

Moves
337d

@ghost-of-a-duke said
What Christian teachings exactly have convinced you that abortion is viewed as sinful?
If you believe that "abortion is not sinful" is a tenet of Christianity, then that is the opinion I was seeking to get from you.

Moves
337d

@fmf said
As I have said, if you insist that I am wrong, then I accept that that is your view.
I am not saying you are wrong. I am asking you to prove you are right.

Are all your opinions undefendable?

F

Moves
337d

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Rajk would have fired back with at least 5 biblical references.
Does that mean he thinks you are right to believe that abortion and homosexual sex are not "sinful"?

F

Moves
337d

@ghost-of-a-duke said
I am not saying you are wrong. I am asking you to prove you are right.
I don't need to prove that my opinion is right or that yours is wrong.

F

Moves
337d

@ghost-of-a-duke said
I am not saying you are wrong.
Oh, so. Wait. You DO think that homosexual sex and abortion are "sinful" or you DON'T?

Moves
337d

@fmf said
If you believe that "abortion is not sinful" is a tenet of Christianity, then that is the opinion I was seeking to get from you.
I believe the bible doesn't reference abortion at all, and that a great many Christians don't view it as sinful. (Under certain circumstances etc).

As an atheist, I am not constrained by archaic views trapped in a book, and am personally uncertain on the issue. Thankfully it is not something I have ever had to confront in my life.

Moves
337d

@fmf said
Does that mean he thinks you are right to believe that abortion and homosexual sex are not "sinful"?
I have clearly said the OT doesn't hold its punches in regards to homosexuality and views it as sinful. I have also said that this isn't really followed up in the NT and that Jesus makes not reference to it at all. The bible is also silent on abortion.

I imagine Rajk would have provided indirect passages about all life being precious etc.