Spiritual Yard Sale

Spiritual Yard Sale

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
26 Sep 12

Originally posted by stellspalfie
what makes you think materialism has failed?
Robbie says so, what more do you want? 🙂

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
26 Sep 12

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
you have nothing, why has materialism failed? because its deviod and empty, a
delusion, an unreality, a nothingness. Ask it a question and it has no answers, how did
we get here? dont know, where are we going? dont know, why are we here, cant say,
what will the future bring, who knows. These fundamental and almost elementary
questions have ...[text shortened]... e future holds, you have
absolutely nothing to offer, zilch, zero, centre of a doughnut, nada!
You don't know, you believe you know. That's why it's called 'faith' - the hope that you are right.

rc

Moves
26 Sep 12

what makes you think materialism has failed?
take a look around you

rc

Moves
26 Sep 12

Originally posted by Proper Knob
You don't know, you believe you know. That's why it's called 'faith' - the hope that you are right.
we know, it is written

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
26 Sep 12

we know, it is written
LOL!!!!!!

We know it's right, 'cause the Bible says it's right. 🙄

Is that the best you have, an illogical circular argument?

rc

Moves
26 Sep 12

Originally posted by Proper Knob
LOL!!!!!!

We know it's right, 'cause the Bible says it's right. 🙄

Is that the best you have, an illogical circular argument?
yes, the inspired word of God

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
26 Sep 12

yes, the inspired word of God
And you know this how?...............Because the Bible says so!!!! Another illogical circular argument. Your piling up the logical fallacies here Rob, are you going for some sort of record?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
26 Sep 12

Originally posted by FMF
Well - pardon me as I appropriate your logical device for a moment - we won't know if you are, have been or ever were a "real" Christian until we are sure you won't have walked away from it. And we won't know that until you die, and even then we'll just have to take you at your word. Who knows, maybe in the future you will stop believing, and - according to your ...[text shortened]... re don't] "know" Jesus now. Just handing your own petard to you, that's all.
I'm just taking you at your word now, I'm agreeing with you that you didn't
ever know Jesus Christ what you walked away from was a religion which you
want nothing to do with now, nothing more.
Kelly

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
26 Sep 12

i would ask this of you and kelly. are you of the opinion that if a person stops believing, they were never a real chrisitan in the first place?
Jesus is going to be standing up dividing the sheep and goats in one passage of
scripture, some are going to be told depart I never knew you. We can apply our
lables upon ourselves all day long, but its God who will do the sorting, not me.
Kelly

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
26 Sep 12

Originally posted by sonhouse
You could replace the word Jesus with cigarettes.....
Well if for you cigarettes are one of the best parts of life...poor you. 🙂
I know when I smoked there were times I thought that! LOL
Kelly

F

Moves
27 Sep 12

Originally posted by KellyJay
I'm just taking you at your word now, I'm agreeing with you that you didn't
ever know Jesus Christ what you walked away from was a religion which you
want nothing to do with now, nothing more.
Kelly
You are "agreeing" with what? Do you not understand the content of my last few posts addressed to you?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
27 Sep 12

Originally posted by FMF
You are "agreeing" with what? Do you not understand the content of my last few posts addressed to you?
I'm agreeing that you rejected what you claimed was real before and now call
that either unreal or not important. Which for me says that you are being
truthful now, which means you never had a real relationship with God through
Jesus Christ, you just played the part and later rejected that role.
Kelly

F

Moves
27 Sep 12

Originally posted by KellyJay
I'm agreeing that you rejected what you claimed was real before and now call
that either unreal or not important. Which for me says that you are being
truthful now, which means you never had a real relationship with God through
Jesus Christ, you just played the part and later rejected that role.
Kelly
I've told you again and again. I was a Christian. And I am not a Christian now. The fact that I am not one now does not mean that I never was one. Using your logic, we cannot say for sure that you are a Christian now because we don't yet know if you will someday stop being one, because if you do one day stop being one - using your logic - we will be able to declare, retrospectively, that you never were a Christian because we will be able to declare - using your logic - that "you never had a real relationship with God through Jesus Christ". Do you see how untenable your 'logical device' is once you see it applied to you yourself?

s
Aficionado of Prawns

Not of this World

Moves
27 Sep 12
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
No, as I say I offloaded it years ago. I do not think "Jesus is a lot better than anything else going". I feel much better off, spiritually speaking, now than I did back when I believed "Jesus is a lot better than anything else going".
It makes a lot of sense, that during the time in which you were learning The Way, that you didn't feel good... and also makes complete sense that--now that you have forsaken Christ--you feel better about yourself.

Knowing the ways and teachings of Christ is a very humbling and often humiliating experience. It is not surprising at all that many people would seek to escape such things and go back to a life of--with all due respect--blissful ignorance.

Well, that's my opinion on it, anyway.

As far as the spiritual yardsale is concerned, the true message is obviously to shed your wants for money, possessions, power, and popularity... for these fleeting things are pathetically worthless compared to the prize Paul spoke of, at the end of the line, for those faithful believers whose hearts long for it.

Paul was in a unique position. Like he said, Christ had already "made him his own" and in a very personal, undeniable way. Paul could no more deny Christ than he could deny his own existence; it was impossible because Christ gave him the gift of an upfront, personal, mind-blowing, face to face experience. I don't envy the frustrations Paul must have felt in trying to convey this message to a people that didn't have the experience and had to take it all completely on "blind" faith--not meant in the traditional, derogatory sense but meant to say, they did not have the visible, audible experience Paul did.

Wonderful choice of verses, gb. Well done! I also enjoyed the heavy emphasis on worthiness and salvation being based on faith alone in Christ alone.

s
Aficionado of Prawns

Not of this World

Moves
27 Sep 12

Originally posted by FMF
I've told you again and again. I was a Christian. And I am not a Christian now. The fact that I am not one now does not mean that I never was one. Using your logic, we cannot say for sure that you are a Christian now because we don't yet know if you will someday stop being one, because if you do one day stop being one - using your logic - we will be able to decl ...[text shortened]... Do you see how untenable your 'logical device' is once you see it applied to you yourself?
Once a Christian, always a Christian. You were never a Christian. If you ever were a true Christian, your faith--being bona fide--wouldn't have dissipated and you wouldn't have turned your back and walked away. A truly faithful Christian literally "knows" that Christ is who He said He is, and knowing that, would only be in an infinitely deep state of denial by shunning the truth.