Strife

Strife

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
06 Apr 16

Originally posted by FMF
You posted a link to [b]Thread 167492 as a respone to divegeester citing Proverbs 26:17.[/b]
I posted another message following that one. Do you see what they both have in common?

F

Moves
06 Apr 16

Originally posted by lemon lime
I posted another message following that one. Do you see what they both have in common?
Yes I do. I think neither of those messages of yours seeks to convey anything overt or to demonstrate any clear convictions on your part that might then entangle you in a substantive discussion. 😉

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
06 Apr 16

Originally posted by FMF
I see what you are getting at but I don't see how Proverbs 26:17 contains an insult. It's more of an aphorism surely.
He used a bible verse to imply checkbaiter is a fool, plain and simple.

Or you could look at it this way... if it wasn't meant to be an insult, then dives complaint about being personally insulted when someone quoted a bible verse to him is completely null and void.

Only a hypocrite would feel justified doing something he feels is wrong when someone else does it. Do you believe your friend divegeester is a hypocrite?

F

Moves
06 Apr 16

Or you could look at it this way... if it wasn't meant to be an insult, then dives complaint about being personally insulted when someone quoted a bible verse to him is completely null and void.

Only a hypocrite would feel justified doing something he feels is wrong when someone else does it. Do you believe your friend divegeester is a hypocrite?
Yes I understand how it can be seen as hypocritical - that's why I said I saw what you were getting at. But I don't see how Proverbs 26:17 contains an insult whereas citing something like James 4:4 clearly is an attempt to land a significant and contemptuous blow. checkbaiter's 'siding with' KellyJay on this thread has been interesting and the "someone who rushes into a quarrel not their own" observation arguably seems apt.

At one point checkbaiter seemed to be saying BOTH that KellyJay was right AND that he didn't know for sure who or what KellyJay had in mind. Of course, KellyJay's pusillanimity on this thread has been a bit inconvenient to checkbaiter, who is relatively more forthright, and who didn't initiate this "quarrel" by writing the OP.

Then again, checkbaiter - having said "I am pointing out no one in particular, and everyone" - has ended up singling out divegeester, which may well have been KellyJay's aim or wish, I don't know. This singling out - for "the name calling, the sarcasm, anger, etc." among Christians - seems a bit odd on a forum that is also home to Suzianne, robbie carrobie, josephw, FreakyKBH, RJHinds, yourself and others.

All this may in fact mean Proverbs 26:17 is wide of the mark and that the "quarrel" is checkbaiter's and not just KellyJay's. But either way, it can hardly be described as containing an "insult".

F

Moves
06 Apr 16

I don't think Proverbs 26:17 does this at all.

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
06 Apr 16
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
Yes I understand how it can be seen as hypocritical - that's why I said I saw what you were getting at. But I don't see how Proverbs 26:17 contains an insult whereas citing something like James 4:4 clearly is an attempt to land a significant and contemptuous blow. checkbaiter's 'siding with' KellyJay on this thread has been interesting and the "someone who rushe ...[text shortened]... s and not just KellyJay's. But either way, it can hardly be described as containing an "insult".
Wrong. You still have no idea what the author of James 4:4 was talking about.

Whether or not your misinterpretation was intentional is another matter. You're either being intentionally deceptive, or suffering from the same disadvantage plaguing divegeester... narcissism.

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
06 Apr 16

Originally posted by FMF
I don't think Proverbs 26:17 does this at all.
So do you think maybe dive was implying checkbaiter was being wise? That would be the only other possibility.

F

Moves
06 Apr 16

Wrong. You still have no idea what the author of James 4:4 was talking about.
Oh but I do understand what it's about. Indeed, josephw eventually explained the angry reasons why he cited it and what he meant by it, and then he apologized for it, and then (of course) he backtracked on the apology and expressed his bitterness again. I don't have any difficulty at all understanding both what James 4:4 means and what josephw means by citing it.

F

Moves
06 Apr 16

So do you think maybe dive was implying checkbaiter was being wise? That would be the only other possibility.
I think divegeester was suggesting that checkbaiter's stance was muddled by him joining in with a "quarrel" that KellyJay started despite the clear differences between checkbaiter and KellyJay. I can't see any "insult" in it. And certainly nothing that is even remotely comparable to the kind of vicious highly personalized Christian-on-Christian attack that gave rise to Thread 167492.

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
06 Apr 16

Originally posted by FMF
Oh but I do understand what it's about. Indeed, josephw eventually explained the angry reasons why he cited it and what he meant by it, and then he apologized for it, and then (of course) he backtracked on the apology and expressed his bitterness again. I don't have any difficulty at all understanding both what James 4:4 means and what josephw means by citing it.
James 4 is rather clear, and not vulnerable to much misinterpretation. Whether dive has been acting as an enemy of God or not is something he should seriously consider if he is a Christian... but if he's not, and is just saying he is, I expect nothing will change.

F

Moves
06 Apr 16

James 4 is rather clear, and not vulnerable to much misinterpretation. Whether dive has been acting as an enemy of God or not is something he should seriously consider [b]if he is a Christian... but if he's not, and is just saying he is, I expect nothing will change.[/b]
I would say that if you believe another Christian is an "enemy of God" and if you think it is right and fitting to make this judgement, then you should just say so ~ for example, 'I think you are demonstrating enmity for God by teasing Grampy Bobby for his copy pasting, you shouldn't banter with wolfgang59 anymore because he is not a Christian' - rather than hide behind a quotation from the Bible and then offer some furtive jibberish along the lines of 'it's God saying it, not me' and 'it's self explanatory'. I think this brings the Bible - and those who use it in this way - into disrepute, at least to my way of thinking.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
07 Apr 16

Thread 167492
Proverbs 26:17 is not an insult.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
07 Apr 16

"What is wrong with contentiousness in a debate forum?"
What he contensciouness got to do with posting snide insults?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
07 Apr 16

James 4 is rather clear, and not vulnerable to much misinterpretation. Whether dive has been acting as an enemy of God or not is something he should seriously consider [b]if he is a Christian... but if he's not, and is just saying he is, I expect nothing will change.[/b]
As I am a Christian, I have considered it and find I am not an enemy of God. Thanks for your concern though.

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
07 Apr 16

Originally posted by divegeester
As I am a Christian, I have considered it and find I am not an enemy of God. Thanks for your concern though.
I see. So, you've judged yourself and found yourself innocent of any wrongdoing...

Why am I not surprised?