The voice of God?

The voice of God?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
04 Apr 14

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
Missionaries don't go to atheists: they go to those with false gods.
Well apart from the implication behind 'false' I would tend to agree with you here; they share a hell
pun accidental but rolling with it anyway
of a lot more common ground.

Moves
04 Apr 14

Originally posted by SwissGambit
Oh look, BibleBot 4000® has come to set me straight again.

When you speak I don't feel like I'm hearing a real person.
Most entertaining thread on this forum in a long while. Thank you.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
04 Apr 14
1 edit

Originally posted by KingOnPoint
Suzianne and SwissGambit,
If SwissGambit was joking, it was not well-played as you mentioned. Furthermore, if he were to die in 3 days. He won't be able to joke around about it anymore. He won't be able to change his mind, because it will be too late. And his joking will be meaningless for his soul's sake.

If SwissGambit was joking, it would be b ...[text shortened]... change him spiritually according to the bible. SwissGambit will need to repent unto salvation.
KoP, you've not been here very long. When I first came here, I was full of the opportunity to answer the challenge of unbelievers, just as you are. I am Christian, too, and I do ache for the unbelievers here and of course I would wish they too could come to love God as I do. But these are "veteran" unbelievers, they who come here to this electronic internet forum, as we do, to interact and to profess opinions, as we do, and they would just like to be able to express themselves without constant worry of attack and defense, as we do. They have engaged Christians before, and they reject attempts to "change their minds" or to be "converted", as we would if confronted by them and pressured into "giving up our fairy-tale beliefs".

The two sides in this forum have agreed (through habit, if nothing else) to be labeled as "theists" or "atheists". Now granted, there are some who seem to straddle the line, but for the most part, this is the line of demarcation. Both sides have long endured the other side here, yet there seems to have developed a sense of a type of "grudging respect" for each other as people who have made their decision and would appreciate not being continually urged to abandon their decision (not that occasional forays into the "demilitarized" zone don't happen, they're just not seriously considered as prelude to all-out war between the sides). We make attempts to live with each other here, to allow them their opinions, and most conversation between the sides here may involve poking and jabbing on occasion, but for the most part, we have come to realize that no one is going to convert anyone, or to change anyone else's mind here. Evangelism, as well as making fun of one's sincere belief, is highly discouraged. In order to co-exist in this forum, there must be respect for decisions made and sides taken.

I, myself, long ago decided to take another approach to this forum. I no longer see it as an opportunity to "convert heathens", or to "lead the shackled masses to freedom", or any other such grandiose ideas. The value of this forum is to engage respectfully with those who hold other opinions, whether completely different to mine, or even just another flavor of theism.

I have been on this forum for years now. I've engaged nearly everyone who has posted in this forum at some time. I know I'm not changing SwissGambit's mind about God. If he comes to know and love God as I do, I couldn't be happier for him. But this isn't happening through my efforts to convert him, just as he's not likely to convince me of the merits of atheism. The best we can do is to treat each other as human beings, with our own minds and our own ideas about things, and not to mire down the forum with negativity that could result from arguing about religion. We may be "at odds", and on separate "teams", but we can respect each other as contemporaries, "neighbors" in this forum, and people who have a full right as humans to our own, well thought-out opinions and able to live by the decisions these opinions lead us to.

Don't get me wrong. As a Christian, I absolutely weep for these atheists here, knowing they will not partake of the glory of the Kingdom of God. But that doesn't mean I cannot live peaceably with them and accept their decisions and give them the full respect they deserve as fellow humans. And this includes the right to not be continually bombarded by my efforts at evangelism.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
04 Apr 14

Originally posted by Suzianne
KoP, you've not been here very long. When I first came here, I was full of the opportunity to answer the challenge of unbelievers, just as you are. I am Christian, too, and I do ache for the unbelievers here and of course I would wish they too could come to love God as I do. But these are "veteran" unbelievers, they who come here to this electronic inter ...[text shortened]... umans. And this includes the right to not be continually bombarded by my efforts at evangelism.
Well said Suzianne :]

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
04 Apr 14

KoP, you've not been here very long. When I first came here, I was full of the opportunity to answer the challenge of unbelievers, just as you are. I am Christian, too, and I do ache for the unbelievers here and of course I would wish they too could come to love God as I do. But these are "veteran" unbelievers, they who come here to this electronic inter ...[text shortened]... umans. And this includes the right to not be continually bombarded by my efforts at evangelism.
Holy shiite: probably the best summation of what occurs on this forum I've read in nine years.

Nicely done, Suzianne.

y

Moves
04 Apr 14

Very nicely put!

Moves
05 Apr 14

Yeah a lot of good stuff in here. You pretty much nailed it.

Slight correction to this line:

"As a Christian, I absolutely weep for these atheists here, knowing they will not partake of the glory of the Kingdom of God."

Replace the word "knowing" with the word "believing" and it would be more truthful. You don't know any more than I or anyone else does. It is understood though that you "believe". Big difference and nothing wrong with that.

Also I don't really "believe" the "I absolutely weep" bit. Call me a cynic or a skeptic but I highly doubt you spend much time if any literally weeping for anyone here. Nor would I in your shoes. It would accomplish nothing at any rate.

Otherwise nice post from perhaps the most respectful and understanding Christians on here.

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
05 Apr 14

Originally posted by SwissGambit
I heard something last night. A whisper of something. "Change your wicked ways", it said. I can't help but wonder. Was it the voice of God? What do you guys think?

I'm just not sure what to do right now. I try for 2 decades to have a conversation with him. Nothing. Then I do a decade as an atheist, becoming more and more outspokenly anti-god, as you a ...[text shortened]...
I'm afraid all my anti-god posts this morning were just a facade. I'm so confused right now. 🙁
He's just messing with your head. He has a very dry sense of Humour.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
05 Apr 14

A mature and wise point of view. Thanks.

K

Moves
06 Apr 14

FMF,
I guess that RajK does reject Christ as his personal Savior. It seems that RajK expects to be saved because he keeps Christ's commandments only.

When the bible says clearly that RajK must be saved by Christ Himself, RajK ignores that part of the bible and keeps repeating that all RajK has to do is keep Christ's commandments to have eternal life.

Below from the bible, mentions nothing about keeping all of Christ's commandments for eternal life. Putting faith in Christ as Savior and Lord is the key.

King James Version
=============
John 3: 14-18
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:

That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
-------------------------

I John 4: 14, 15
And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world.

Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.

K

Moves
06 Apr 14

Suzianne,
If people in here want to take it for granted that they will not face God for judgement unto the lake of fire, then that is their choice. Why would they not care about their eternal existence? Why do they want to suffer in the lake of fire without God with them? They must want to suffer since they don't even care to prepare for it.

And just because they don't believe, doesn't cancel out there apathy about their suffering eternally without God to help them.

King James Version
=============
The Revelation 20: 15
And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

F

Moves
06 Apr 14

Originally posted by KingOnPoint
The Revelation 20: 15
And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.
This was exactly the kind of verse that corporate Christianity needed to have in order to assert itself back in the day. What book was it included in? Ah yes, Revelation. Right, of course.

K

Moves
06 Apr 14

Agerg,
If anyone's faith in Christ was doomed to start with, then God will have to do it. Even Christ said. . ."The things which are impossible with men are possible with God."

King James Version
=============

Luke 18: 24-27
And when Jesus saw that he was very sorrowful, he said, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God!

For it is easier for a camel to go through a needle's eye, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

And they that heard it said, Who then can be saved?

And he said, The things which are impossible with men are possible with God.

K

Moves
06 Apr 14

FMF,
If you have not put faith in Christ for eternal life, what do you think will get you eternal life?

K

Moves
06 Apr 14

Agerg,
If atheists don't believe, and they stay here, then why are they constantly here? If atheists don't want other people to have eternal life, then atheists don't have human compassion to start with. So, atheists are not humanity's friends after all.

What is an atheist's goal? Wanting the world's people to suffer eternally? Is that the heart of a compassionate person? Is that the heart of an evil sinner? Whatever God calls it besides, it certainly is not compassionate. God in the bible says that we are all sinners.