To seek or to argue?

To seek or to argue?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
29 Oct 12

Originally posted by sonhouse
We are only 100 miles north of Philly and it looks like it is making landfall right by philly. It is going to be a rough ride. I have a 5000 watt generator if or when we lose power. The question is if I have enough fuel to last till they fix stuff.
Do you know how much fuel it takes to operate it for 24 hours?

T

Moves
29 Oct 12
3 edits

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
Rather like the way you think, repesents a refreshing change of pace from much of what passes here as objective focus and rational thought. Your tenacity I value, too. Bobby's deserving of your cynicism but not of your dismissive tone and premature conclusions. A few intrusive posts, yep. An intrusive foray into FMF's private repartee with sumydid, guil an history] ------------------------------------------------------> (ETERNITY FUTURE

gb
It never ceases to amaze as to the lengths some will go in order to avoid addressing an issue. Especially, as here, when the issue is an accusation made of another poster as GB made of FMF. Since GB continues to refuse to offer an explanation of how he thinks the quote applies to FMF, one must continue to conclude that the accusation was false. That GB continues to refuse to offer neither explanation nor retraction and apology continues to reflect on the quality of his character.

Enough about what GB refuses to say. What's also remarkable is what GB DOES say in his attempts to deflect.

Let's take a closer look at but a couple of sections.

"Bobby's deserving of your cynicism but not of your dismissive tone and premature conclusions. A few intrusive posts, yep. An intrusive foray into FMF's private repartee with sumydid, guilty as charged. "

GB declares himself "guilty as charged" of being "intrusive". The implication here is that I have charged him with being "intrusive", yet I haven't made any such charge. Perhaps GB thinks that if he pleads "guilty" to some nonexistent charge that he will be looked upon more favorably. Remarkable.

Here's hoping ThinkOfOne has made the sensible choice of one between two permanent addresses for eternity.

Looks something like this:

ETERNITY [past])---------------------------------------------------> [time / human history] ------------------------------------------------------> (ETERNITY FUTURE

Completely out of left field comes a "hope" for me making "the sensible choice of one between two permanent addresses for eternity". Perhaps GB thinks that this too will allow him to be looked upon more favorably. Fascinating again.

The could go on about the bit Pontius Pilate as well as some other things, but I've gone on long enough.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
29 Oct 12
1 edit

Originally posted by RJHinds
Do you know how much fuel it takes to operate it for 24 hours?
No I don't, but I filled the tank on the generator and have 15 gallons on the side and about 20 more in our cars, so I guess I am about to find out.

It depends on the load. If I keep the drain under 1Kw, it will be running at 20 percent which will increase the time between refueling.

In all the other crises in our area, PP&L has had excellent results here, for instance when the big rolling blackout hit a few years ago which killed power to most of the Northeast and a good chunk of Canada, we never lost power because they upgraded the transmission lines. The big problem will be falling trees coming down on power lines.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
29 Oct 12
1 edit

No I don't, but I filled the tank on the generator and have 15 gallons on the side and about 20 more in our cars, so I guess I am about to find out.

It depends on the load. If I keep the drain under 1Kw, it will be running at 20 percent which will increase the time between refueling.

In all the other crises in our area, PP&L has had excellent results ...[text shortened]... raded the transmission lines. The big problem will be falling trees coming down on power lines.
That is the main problem we have here too. I lose power in my area even though the power and telephone lines are underground. The reason is because they are tied into the old above ground power lines a couple of miles away. It does not seem to effect the telephone for some reason.

P.S. As you probable guessed, I don't have a generator. We usually just use flashlight and candles and wait until the power is restored.

Moves
29 Oct 12
1 edit

In all the other crises in our area, PP&L has had excellent results ...[text shortened]... raded the transmission lines. The big problem will be falling trees coming down on power lines.
Gasoline has (according to wiki) an energy density of "35 MJ/L (9.7 kW·h/L, 132 MJ/US gal, 36.6 kWh/US gal) (higher heating value) or 13 kWh/kg"
(typical variance from this is listed as being 4%, however cheaper stuff could be significantly worse, and fuel that has sat around a long time may
well not perform as well)

Internal combustion engines have typical energy efficiency values of about 30% and typically max out at 37% (when running at their optimum power
output). (The actual number could be significantly lower depending on build quality and age/wear which could easily drop you down as low as 10%
efficiency)

Thus you should hopefully be able to run the generator at 5Kw for ~2.2hrs per US Gallon. ~10hrs at 1 KW. (sadly with errors up to 60% )

Depending on the generator tank size, the 15 Gallons should last between 33 and 150hrs depending on your power consumption.
(This assumes that the generator's output can be modulated and doesn't just run at full power all the time.)

More accurate figures should be obtainable by looking up the details in the manual (do you have one) for the generator and by
monitoring the fuel consumption per unit time at a given output to get some actual performance/efficiency data.

Improvements to this might be achieved by only running things like fridges/freezers for a few hours at a time and keeping them
shut as much as possible and relying on their insulation to keep them cool.

(a Heath-Robinson idea... Could you run the exhaust pipe through a water tank/heat exchanger and heat up water for washing/heating with the waste
heat of your generator? Note of caution, restricting gas flow of the exhaust will lower efficiency and output of the generator)

Anyhow, good luck to any and all those effected by Hurricane Sandy.

Stay safe.

Moves
30 Oct 12

I looked up some specs on the web pages of some sellers, and the 5000 watters tend toward about 12 hours on a filled tank, at half load. So it sounds like you should be good for days, if you keep usage to essentials. But you will know soon enough. Good luck!

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
30 Oct 12

Originally posted by FMF
Good for you if you've found what you're looking for.
Agreed with many of your points... perhaps I got overzealous in attempting to press you into providing a summary
of your main views which differed from those of sumydid's. My social error, my conversational bad. -gb

😞

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
30 Oct 12

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
It never ceases to amaze as to the lengths some will go in order to avoid addressing an issue. Especially, as here, when the issue is an accusation made of another poster as GB made of FMF. Since GB continues to refuse to offer an explanation of how he thinks the quote applies to FMF, one must continue to conclude that the accusation was false. That GB co ...[text shortened]... Pontius Pilate as well as some other things, but I've gone on long enough.
Time to soldier on.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
30 Oct 12
1 edit

Also wish to restate my previous, private apology to sumy. No excuse. Sorry.

F

Moves
30 Oct 12

Agreed with many of your points... perhaps I got overzealous in attempting to press you into providing a summary
of your main views which differed from those of sumydid's. My social error, my conversational bad. -gb

😞
I am not interested - in the slightest - in the kind of banter you indulge in.

T

Moves
30 Oct 12
1 edit

😞
GB continues to deflect and avoid addressing the issue. GB continues the theme of "pleading to a lesser charge". Instead of offering a retraction and apology for making a false accusation, he offers a disingenuous apology for "perhaps...[being]...overzealous". You're a real piece of work GB.

Sadly this type of behavior seems to be all too common amongst the Christians who post on this forum. From what I can tell, it is pride that keeps them from admitting the truth. If they believe "God is truth" as one so often hears from Christians, what does this avoidance of truth say about their relationship with God?

rc

Moves
30 Oct 12

GB continues to deflect and avoid addressing the issue. GB continues the theme of "pleading to a lesser charge". Instead of offering a retraction and apology for making a false accusation, he offers a disingenuous apology for "perhaps...[being]...overzealous". You're a real piece of work GB.

Sadly this type of behavior seems to be all too common ...[text shortened]... from Christians, what does this avoidance of truth say about their relationship with God?
Its like you never left, same old jive talkin turkey, Christians are this, Christians are
that, bwhahahahaha!

T

Moves
30 Oct 12

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Its like you never left, same old jive talkin turkey, Christians are this, Christians are
that, bwhahahahaha!
Interesting that perhaps the most prime example of that type of behavior has opted for a completely gratuitous ad hominem attack rather than make a reasoned comment and/or argument.

rc

Moves
30 Oct 12

Interesting that perhaps the most prime example of that type of behavior has opted for a completely gratuitous ad hominem attack rather than make a reasoned comment and/or argument.
bwhahahahahaha, top notch entertainment, one does not reason with rattle snakes,
one smacks them over the head and makes a blues-man hat out of their skin!

T

Moves
30 Oct 12

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
bwhahahahahaha, top notch entertainment, one does not reason with rattle snakes,
one smacks them over the head and makes a blues-man hat out of their skin!
Followed by yet another completely gratuitous ad hominem attack. Interesting again.