To seek or to argue?

To seek or to argue?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
30 Oct 12

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Ok, you have made similar remarks many times Mr Pedant , oops perhaps its my pride
that made me forget to quote you verbatim. bwahaha
How does this kind of post place you with respect to the OP's "To seek or to argue?" theme?

rc

Moves
30 Oct 12

Originally posted by FMF
How does this kind of post place you with respect to the OP's "To seek or to argue?" theme?
I have neither sought to seek nor to argue, i am perfectly balanced, that is where is
places me.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
30 Oct 12
1 edit

Originally posted by JS357
I looked up some specs on the web pages of some sellers, and the 5000 watters tend toward about 12 hours on a filled tank, at half load. So it sounds like you should be good for days, if you keep usage to essentials. But you will know soon enough. Good luck!
As it turned out, I didn't need to fire up the generator at all. We had about 10 power outs but only a couple of seconds each, like maybe branches touching the lines briefly. With the amount of power on those lines available I imagine the branch would burn up on contact making it a one time affair but with thousands of branches near tree's....

One small note: I put up a quick dipole antenna for my short wave portable radio (A Tecsun 660, a great little radio, only about US $120 on Amazon), anyway it is a 50 foot dipole fed into a basically unknown impedance very thin coax not even meant for RF but good for audio, anyway the antenna really picks up well and it withstood the storm, just tied up between a couple of trees above my front porch.

I dusted off my old preselector with a built in 10 db amp and it did wonders to get rid of most of the computer hash you can't avoid in a suburban setting. That preselector cost 3 times more than the radio but it is worth every penny. It is a Lowe PR-150 ($400, US) from England, a great little preselector. It boosts the signal at a specific frequency and reduces the wide bandwidth noise by blocking it.

The sad part is almost the only english language broadcasts are ultra right wing american short wave broadcasters just as bad in their own way as any muslim radio. I heard one actually call for the death of people not in their particular cult. It makes me ashamed to be an american.

I can only imagine the rest of the world listening to that crap and making us the laughing stock of the world.

Listen to 9480 Khz, just one frequency broadcasting that crap.

Other countries are interested in promoting their own culture and so have original music from their country for others to appreciate.

Radio China has broadcasts teaching mandarin.

Radio Netherlands has world news and great music sometimes.

One Spanish language broadcast I heard just yesterday featured songs by Nick Drake, the show was about musicians who died from suicide or drugs.

That was a surprise.

But from the US? Only religious BULLSHYTE in strident voices that sounds more like an SNL routine than something to be taken seriously.

I can't even find VOA any more. BBC is easier to find now. VOA broadcasts have been cut way back so now what do we get on the short waves from the USA? Strident religious nutters. Its sad really.

F

Moves
31 Oct 12
2 edits

Originally posted by FMF
Reading robbie's, and RJHind's, and sumydid's, and Grampy Bobby's, and galveston75's contributions to this thread has been very interesting.
Here's an interesting 'debating gambit' from robbie on page 20 of Thread 149300

A disagreement over which of us had been more evasive in a discussion about capital punishment.

on the contrary they were for the most part they are calls for understanding in order to clarify the position, but naturally you were not interested in clarifying the position and simply ignored them, is this another instance of your inability to impute pure motives to others FMF? this insisting that they were for deflection instead of clarification? have you always been so cynical? what do you think prevents you from imputing pure motives to others? Is it personal and you cannot say, perhaps have you been the victim of abuse? are you suffering paranoia as some kind of psychosis for drug abuse?

How does this place the above poster with regard to "To seek or to argue?" theme?

T

Moves
31 Oct 12

Originally posted by FMF
Here's an interesting 'debating gambit' from robbie on page 20 of Thread 149300

A disagreement over which of us had been more evasive in a discussion about capital punishment.

[b]on the contrary they were for the most part they are calls for understanding in order to clarify the position, but natu ...[text shortened]... e?

How does this place the above poster with regard to "To seek or to argue?" theme?[/b]
Unfortunately that's too easy a question for anyone familiar with RC's history.

What I can't help but wonder is why G75 doesn't do RC the courtesy of pointing things like that out to RC. Seems like anyone interested in RC's well-being would do so and if it came from him, RC might be forced to listen. RC could greatly benefit from it.

rc

Moves
31 Oct 12
2 edits

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
Unfortunately that's too easy a question for anyone familiar with RC's history.

What I can't help but wonder is why G75 doesn't do RC the courtesy of pointing things like that out to RC. Seems like anyone interested in RC's well-being would do so and if it came from him, RC might be forced to listen. RC could greatly benefit from it.
it must be my pride, that's blinding me to your truths, oh poor sinful man that I am,
who will save me from the coming wrath of thinkofone, his most illustrious Holy
eminence. (peace be upon him for ever and ever) and his messenger FMF, the merciful
and beneficent.

T

Moves
31 Oct 12

it must be my pride, that's blinding me to your truths, oh poor sinful man that I am,
who will save me from the coming wrath of thinkofone, his most illustrious Holy
eminence. (peace be upon him for ever and ever)
Your ridiculous behavior on the 'Forgiving Murderers' thread clearly and unquestionably shows that something is getting in the way of either your being able to see it or admit it. "Pride" seems to be a very likely candidate.

rc

Moves
31 Oct 12

Your ridiculous behavior on the 'Forgiving Murderers' thread clearly and unquestionably shows that something is getting in the way of either your being able to see it or admit it. "Pride" seems to be a very likely candidate.
i knew it, its pride, how do you think i can root it out?

T

Moves
31 Oct 12

i knew it, its pride, how do you think i can root it out?
You could try adopting the word of Jesus.
John 8
31...“If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; 32and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.”

G75 would be doing you a big favor by speaking the truth to you. Here's hoping he cares enough to do just that.

rc

Moves
31 Oct 12

You could try adopting the word of Jesus.
John 8
31...“If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; 32and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.”

G75 would be doing you a big favor by speaking the truth to you. Here's hoping he cares enough to do just that.
the verse doesn't mention pride, its merely given as a kind of platitude, you have not
explained it in the slightest.

T

Moves
31 Oct 12

the verse doesn't mention pride, its merely given as a kind of platitude, you have not
explained it in the slightest.
Nor have I tried to explain it. A follower of Jesus shouldn't need an explanation. Evidently you do.

rc

Moves
01 Nov 12

Nor have I tried to explain it. A follower of Jesus shouldn't need an explanation. Evidently you do.
because lets face it, the disciples of Christ never asked him for an explanation,

massive fail, you offer up platitudes and expect people simply to accept them, you are a very poor teacher.

T

Moves
01 Nov 12

because lets face it, the disciples of Christ never asked him for an explanation,

massive fail, you offer up platitudes and expect people simply to accept them, you are a very poor teacher.

s
Aficionado of Prawns

Not of this World

Moves
01 Nov 12
4 edits

Originally posted by RJHinds
So I guess you believe his statement that [b]"you argue for the sake of arguing against those whom you oppose" is not correct and may be an ad hominem and not a straw man or is it a straw man and not an ad hominem?[/b]
I hate to even bring this garbage back to life, but I have this thing that makes me do it, when I see a clear misunderstanding.

I never said he argued for the sake of arguing. I said he seems to argue for the sake of arguing, and then he answered the charge with an AFFIRMATIVE which I pointed out. Granted, his affirmative included the caveat that what he considers worth the sake of arguing is stuff that he is opposed to. But that was my observation. It hardly matters what a believer says, he opposes it and challenges it. And an additional observation is, the challenge usually comes in the form of a thinly veiled rhetorical "question."

Where's my evidence? Just read the last several hundred of his posts.

End of story. If my observation is wrong, it's wrong. But it's certainly not a strawman or an ad hominem. Because it's my personal opinion as formulated through experience and my subjective observation.

At worst, my observation is misguided. And I'll accept that if it is.

If no one shares my opinion (or dares publicly share it for fear of being drawn into a multi-page, ad nauseum, nonstop legal brief on their perceived unrighteous behavior), that's fine by me. I could very well be the only person on the entire site that sees it this way.

There is a common phrase--shared by Americans at least--that goes like this... "I say black, you say white." It's meant to only suggest that the other person will basically disagree with you, no matter what you say. It's not a legal accusation, nor should it be judged as such. It's just a general, metaphorical, observation. People say it all the time and up til now, have never had to answer to accusations such as having used a "clumsy strawman" or "ad hominem attack."

Any true observation is just an opinion and can never--*NEVER*--be dishonest. It can be misguided and incorrect, yes. But not dishonest or disingenuous. Clumsy strawmen and ad hominem attacks are diningenuous at best--dishonest at worst.

F

Moves
01 Nov 12

Originally posted by sumydid
Where's my evidence? Just read the last several hundred of his posts.
If there were "several hundred" of my posts you could have chosen from, why did you fabricate a post that I hadn't written and that wasn't similar in any rhetorical way to any of my actual posts, and then talk about how you "expect" me to post the stuff you'd made up? That was your clumsy straw man. The stuff about my "intellect" was, at best, a thinly veiled attempt at an ad hominem. But all is OK. This was the ideal thread - it being "To seek or to argue?" and all - for you to get your basically personal remarks off your chest without going too far off-topic.