1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Feb '18 04:35
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    😴 Time for the ad hominems.
    It's simply calling you out for your behaviour and not an attempt to rebut an argument by attacking your character [which is what an ad hominem would have been]. The quality of Adam Clarke's definition is not affected by the lack of integrity you have shown in plagiarizing it.
  2. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    28 Feb '18 04:38
    Originally posted by @fmf
    It's simply calling you out for your behaviour and not an attempt to rebut an argument by attacking your character [which is what an ad hominem would have been]. The quality of Adam Clarke's definition is not affected by the lack of integrity you have shown in plagiarizing it.
    I had no idea it was Adam Clarke's definition. Thanks for pointing that out. I told you I heard it somewhere and I'm not even sure if I remembered it accurately word for word. So do you have anything of substance to post about the definition or are you going to stick with your red herrings and ad hominems?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Feb '18 04:43
    I had no idea it was Adam Clarke's definition.
    And yet you knew full well it was not your own definition. I found it after little more than 5 seconds of Googling.
  4. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    28 Feb '18 04:46
    And yet you knew full well it was not your own definition. I found it after little more than 5 seconds of Googling.
    I have also googled it now and I see that I haven't in fact quoted it correctly word for word. There are quite a few hundred words that I have left out.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Feb '18 04:541 edit
    I have also googled it now and I see that I haven't in fact quoted it correctly word for word. There are quite a few hundred words that I have left out.
    dj2becker: God is "the only eternal, independent and self-existing Being, whose purposes, actions and existence spring from Himself without foreign motive or influence."

Adam Clark: God is "the eternal, independent, and self-existent Being: the Being whose purposes and actions spring from Himself, without foreign motive or influence..."

Your integrity problem runs very deep when in cahoots with your pride.
  6. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    28 Feb '18 05:011 edit
    dj2becker: God is [b]"the only eternal, independent and self-existing Being, whose purposes, actions and existence spring from Himself without foreign motive or influence."

Adam Clark: God is "the eternal, independent, and self-existent Being: the Being whose purposes and actions spring from Himself, without foreign motive or influence..."

Your integrity problem runs very deep when in cahoots with your pride.[/b]
    Thanks for sharing your perspective.

This is the full definition that I only remembered a part of:

God is “the eternal, independent, and self-existent Being; the Being whose purposes and actions spring from Himself, without foreign motive or influence; he who is absolute in dominion; the most pure, the most simple, the most spiritual of all essences; infinitely perfect; and eternally self-sufficient, needing nothing that he has made; illimitable in his immensity, inconceivable in his mode of existence, and indescribable in his essence; known fully only by himself, because an infinite mind can only be fully comprehended by itself. In a word, a Being who, from his infinite wisdom, cannot err or be deceived, and from his infinite goodness, can do nothing but what is eternally just, and right, and kind.” [Adam Clarke in Cyclopaedia, vol. 3
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Feb '18 05:18
    Thanks for sharing your perspective.

This is the full definition that I only remembered a part of:

God is “the eternal, independent, and self-existent Being; the Being whose purposes and actions spring from Himself, without foreign motive or influence; he who is absolute in dominion; the most pure, the most simple, the most spiritual of all essences ...[text shortened]... do nothing but what is eternally just, and right, and kind.” [Adam Clarke in Cyclopaedia, vol. 3
    As much as you may now squirm and wriggle, it was plagiarism.
  8. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    28 Feb '18 05:23
    As much as you may now squirm and wriggle, it was plagiarism.
    Thanks for your perspective.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree