What does

What does "everybody is evil" mean?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
25 Aug 15
2 edits

Originally posted by checkbaiter
It may be the impression you got, but what I said is ...
"Apparent contradictions are due to...
1- verses read out of context
2- words with a poor translation
3- the readers own bias or lack of understanding
4- not understanding the culture in which it was written
5- not understanding figures of speech or when they can be applied.
to name just a f ...[text shortened]... interpretation is the only right way. It is an example of tools used to understanding the bible.
You contend that the contradictions can always be explained so that they are then no longer contradictory, right? Presumably you subscribe to the explanations that you favour and therefore see no contradictions.

Let's go through your list with changes as I see fit according to what I see as your stance:

checkbaiter says: Apparent contradictions are not contradictions at all if...
1- you read the verses in the "context" as I see it

2- you remember some are translated poorly, ask me what the correct translation is

3- the readers have their own bias or lack of understanding, whereas I don't suffer these problems

4- people are not understanding the culture in which it was written, as opposed to me who does

5- people are not understanding figures of speech or when they can be applied, but you ask me and I will explain

All you are doing, as I see it, is laying out every self-anointed cherry picker's manifesto.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
25 Aug 15

It may be the impression you got, but what I said is ...
"Apparent contradictions are due to...
1- verses read out of context
2- words with a poor translation
3- the readers own bias or lack of understanding
4- not understanding the culture in which it was written
5- not understanding figures of speech or when they can be applied.
to name just a f ...[text shortened]... interpretation is the only right way. It is an example of tools used to understanding the bible.
Ooh you forgot one ...

6) Forgetting to argue that *all* the children God has ever slaughtered were not collateral damage, but instead rotten to the core and capable of nothing other than thinking evil thoughts - regardless of age and capacity to even know right from wrong.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
25 Aug 15

Originally posted by chaney3
KellyJay, God hardened the heart of Pharoah.......10 times. It is my belief, that if Pharoah could choose with his own free will, then Pharoah would have let the people go immediately. However, God intervened, and made that choice impossible.

What is the dispute here? God made sure that the plagues would happen.
YES, I AGREE HE DID IT 10 TIMES, and each time He did it, it was by showing him who
he was up against. God gave him a little insight into the power of God, if God showed you
something in no uncertain terms what would you do? He asked to let them go and he kept
saying no. Each time that occurred all doubt was being removed who was telling him to
let them go. God made that choice very possible, but he never took the hint, and ever time
he refused he dug himself into it deeper.

I don't know what the dispute here is, those plagues were a means to say yes to God, but
God knew his heart like He knows ours. We are all being shown kindness by God, what
are we doing with them?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
25 Aug 15

Originally posted by Zahlanzi
not getting into the impossibility of the flood ever happening. like i told you before, it's futile

this thread assumes the global flood actually happened (uggh) and only deals with innocent humans dying. if there are some who have trouble seeing humans dying as evil, how much do you think they care about animals
There were only eight people that were not evil. They were saved through the flood. Evil obviously means unworthy to be saved. Something was seriously wrong with them. They had to be destroyed.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
25 Aug 15

Originally posted by FMF
robbie carrobie and lemon lime also sometimes call people "liars" when they are faced with difficult questions, evidence of their own inconsistency, or disagreement in general .🙂
Seen it happen many times pal 🙂

Z

Moves
25 Aug 15
1 edit

Originally posted by KellyJay
No, if you bothered to read what I wrote you'd see that is not true since I addressed that
point directly.
your interpretation, not mine.

but let's move back to the subject of the flood.
god may decide to end one or many lives whenever it suits him. so i ask you again, how much value does god place on a life when he can and will take it for no reason? do you claim that all people killed in the flood deserved to die?

Z

Moves
25 Aug 15

Originally posted by RJHinds
There were only eight people that were not evil. They were saved through the flood. Evil obviously means unworthy to be saved. Something was seriously wrong with them. They had to be destroyed.
right after the flood one of them did something so "evil" that god cursed his offspring. soo tell me more how these were the best people in the world.

tell me more how the children were evil

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
25 Aug 15

I don't get bent out of shape, I get frustrated with ignorance sometimes, that's all.
How someone can say they believe the bible and ignore contradictions is beyond me.
God cannot be all light and have no darkness(evil) and then kill people or "harden" hearts.
Either one of those is true or neither. Can't be both. God cannot be love and hate.
Some p ...[text shortened]... d of, and claims in other parts of the bible that he does not, then the whole book falls apart.
What a pile of foolishness !!

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
25 Aug 15

god may decide to end one or many lives whenever it suits him. so i ask you again, how much value does god place on a life when he can and will take it for no reason?
God does not do anything for "no reason", we may not grasp it, and this life is just for a
very short time compared to what is to come.

I would also point out that I didn't say God only appointed a few lives to end, but all of
them! There has been a time appointed for all of us, none of us are going to live forever
in our current states.

God valued all of our lives enough to send Jesus to die for us that we may live, the Holy
for the unholy, the just for the unjust.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
25 Aug 15

god may decide to end one or many lives whenever it suits him. so i ask you again, how much value does god place on a life when he can and will take it for no reason? do you claim that all people killed in the flood deserved to die?
I addressed murder, you ignored it as if it were not there. Nothing about interpretation at
all, it was about read the full post.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
25 Aug 15

I addressed murder, you ignored it as if it were not there. Nothing about interpretation at
What is hard for me to understand is why people continue to believe in the bible god, thinking it comes to them in times of need and so forth, when in the 20th century wars 100 MILLION died at the hands of despots, many tortured, raped, children killed, gold pulled out of dead people's mouths and not a word from this so-called gracious god. It is clear it would not have mattered how many million died or how many BILLIONS could have died, and still no response from this alleged god.

Why do people continue to believe in this insane god with evidence like that, CLEAR evidence of this alleged god doing absolutely nothing in spite of the fact millions of those killed were in fact Christian.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
25 Aug 15

Originally posted by sonhouse
What is hard for me to understand is why people continue to believe in the bible god, thinking it comes to them in times of need and so forth, when in the 20th century wars 100 MILLION died at the hands of despots, many tortured, raped, children killed, gold pulled out of dead people's mouths and not a word from this so-called gracious god. It is clear it w ...[text shortened]... d doing absolutely nothing in spite of the fact millions of those killed were in fact Christian.
It is clear to me that God is showing us that we really do need Him as our King. When we appoint a man to do God's work it is always going to be an inferior job.

Jesus was rejected as King and He will not return until we cause everything to get so bad with our fighting among ourselves that all those left alive will be begging for Him to return to reign as King of Kings and Lord of Lords.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
25 Aug 15

Originally posted by RJHinds
It is clear to me that God is showing us that we really do need Him as our King. When we appoint a man to do God's work it is always going to be an inferior job.

Jesus was rejected as King and He will not return until we cause everything to get so bad with our fighting among ourselves that all those left alive will be begging for Him to return to reign as King of Kings and Lord of Lords.
You haven't answered my charge. Your so-called god, if it exists at all, totally ignored 100 million deaths, there IS no answer to that. It just proves your alleged god cares not a whit for the lives of humans, who were literally killed by the million in the 19th and 20th century and many of them were Christians. ANY human leader would speak out against such outrages. Your alleged god did nothing. It is clear it cares nothing for humans, and it would have mattered little if it was a hundred times the deaths, your god would not respond,

Z

Moves
25 Aug 15

God does not do anything for "no reason", we may not grasp it, and this life is just for a
very short time compared to what is to come.

I would also point out that I didn't say God only appointed a few lives to end, but all of
them! There has been a time appointed for all of us, none of us are going to live forever
in our current states.

God valued ...[text shortened]... to send Jesus to die for us that we may live, the Holy
for the unholy, the just for the unjust.
"God does not do anything for "no reason", we may not grasp it, "
this is kind of a discussion ender.
"why? because god has a reason. which is? dunno, but must be a good one"

if someone starts printing bibles saying that all who wear pink must be killed in the name of god, would you not question it? would you not look for a reason?

"and this life is just for a very short time compared to what is to come."
so again, no death is tragic because they get to the afterlife? children dying after having lived for just 2 -3 years is not tragic?

"God valued all of our lives enough to send Jesus to die for us that we may live, the Holy for the unholy, the just for the unjust"
the exact details of this can be discussed elsewhere, but it if we hold this to be real, and we do because we are christians, it is proof that the murderer god of the OT is not real.

Z

Moves
25 Aug 15

god killed children for no reason. it was murder.