What non-believers struggle with -

What non-believers struggle with -

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
11 Feb 22
2 edits

How can he (or she) claim to be a Christian and do _______!!😠 I've been hearing this from the non-believer crowd for decades.

Folks, just because someone accepts Jesus Christ as their savior, and does their best to follow God's law, does not automatically elevate them to some higher moral level. They may be more aware of God's law, and may be improving their behavior as a result, but this needs to be stated over and over:

Christians Are Not Perfect, Just Forgiven!

This is a difficult one for non-believers to wrap their heads around, and that's OK, I did too for a few years, then one day a Christian author / storyteller put things in perspective this way: "I used to think the Bible was a big book of don'ts i.e., don't do this, don't do that etc. Since I became a Christian, I've been reading the Bible and I found there are far more do's than there is don'ts, and if you spend your time doing the do's, you don't have much time to do the don'ts" Christians aren't perfect folks, and I'm in the same boat as the rest of them, but this needs to be stated over and over:

Christians Are Not Perfect, Just Forgiven! 🙂

F

Moves
11 Feb 22

@mchill said
How can he (or she) claim to be a Christian and do _______!!😠 I've been hearing this from the non-believer crowd for decades.

Folks, just because someone accepts Jesus Christ as their savior, and does their best to follow God's law, does not automatically elevate them to some higher moral level. They may be more aware of God's law, and may be improving their behavior as a ...[text shortened]... them, but this needs to be stated over and over:

I am a non-believer and I don't "struggle" with the immoral behaviour of Christians at all.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
11 Feb 22

@mchill said

Folks, just because someone accepts Jesus Christ as their savior, and does their best to follow God's law, does not automatically elevate them to some higher moral level. They may be more aware of God's law, and may be improving their behavior as a ...[text shortened]... them, but this needs to be stated over and over:

Reminds me of the saying, “Good people aren’t in Heaven. Forgiven sinners are.”

That said, I think a Christian should, over time, be much different than he or she was before becoming a Christian. Obviously not perfect, as even the Apostle Paul struggled to do what’s right and not do what’s wrong, but markedly better.

And if someone isn’t different or markedly better over time after accepting and believing in Jesus Christ and believing in His Resurrection, then I think they have to honestly ask themselves if they were sincere in accepting Christ, and, if they were, spend more time reading (or even handwriting) the Holy Bible and spend more time in prayer to strengthen the influence of God’s indwelt Holy Spirit in their lives.

And I’d be wary about judging any Christian, especially on the Internet: You don’t know where they started in their walk with Christ and what they’ve endured and overcome so far.

Another thing I think it’s important to bear in mind - Christians can and do experience spiritual attacks. That’s absolutely Biblical, and the Apostle Paul addresses how to deal with it in Ephesians:

“Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;

And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;

Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.

And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;”

(Ephesians 6:11-18)

F

Moves
11 Feb 22

@mchill said
Folks, just because someone accepts Jesus Christ as their savior, and does their best to follow God's law, does not automatically elevate them to some higher moral level. They may be more aware of God's law, and may be improving their behavior as a result
What is more interesting is the fact that some Christians DO claim that they are elevated "to some higher moral level" ["slip-ups" notwithstanding] and this is supposedly the effect of "The Holy Spirit" ~ a supernatural transformation, apparently, that non-believers cannot possibly understand ~ added to which is the notion that any self-propelled efforts to "improve their behaviour as a result of God's law" may end in "damnation".

F

Moves
11 Feb 22

@mchill said
In real and practical terms, what "fruits" - in terms of demeanour and behaviour - do you think are evidence that a person's claim to be a Christian is true?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
11 Feb 22

@fmf said
In real and practical terms, what "fruits" - in terms of demeanour and behaviour - do you think are evidence that a person's claim to be a Christian is true?
I can think of two examples, both from Galatians:

“Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.”

(Galatians 6:2)

“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.”

(Galatians 5:22-23)

F

Moves
11 Feb 22

@pb1022 said
I can think of two examples, both from Galatians:

“Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.”

(Galatians 6:2)

“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.”

(Galatians 5:22-23)
I am asking for real and practical evidence, not claims based on dogma.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
11 Feb 22

@fmf said
I am a non-believer and I don't "struggle" with the immoral behaviour of Christians at all.
Thanks for your contribution.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
11 Feb 22

@fmf said
What is more interesting is the fact that some Christians DO claim that they are elevated "to some higher moral level" ["slip-ups" notwithstanding] and this is supposedly the effect of "The Holy Spirit" ~ a supernatural transformation, apparently, that non-believers cannot possibly understand ~ added to which is the notion that any self-propelled efforts to "improve their behaviour as a result of God's law" may end in "damnation".
And as you've perhaps noticed, some fail spectacularly.

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
11 Feb 22

@fmf said
Methinks there is no answer that will meet with your approval.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
11 Feb 22

@fmf said
You don’t think bearing someone’s burdens is evidence? You don’t the fruits of the Spirit, which are the result of a changed heart, lead to changed behavior?

But if you want “real and practical evidence” how about someone who, prior to becoming a Christian, donated very little to no money to charity but, after becoming a Christian, donates substantial sums to charity?

Let me know if that qualifies as “real and practical evidence,” and I’ll cite other examples.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
11 Feb 22

@suzianne said
And as you've perhaps noticed, some fail spectacularly.
You think someone’s entire life should be judged based on how and what they post here?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
11 Feb 22

@fmf said
While you may consider this mere dogma, there is some truth to it.

"The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly." -- John 10:10, KJV

A more abundant life is certainly one signpost, yet not definitive, as there are always those lucky ones who seem able to just purchase their abundant life.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
11 Feb 22

@pb1022 said
You think someone’s entire life should be judged based on how and what they post here?
Of course not. I know others here who do hold this up as their reason for snap judgements.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
11 Feb 22

@pb1022 said
You don’t think bearing someone’s burdens is evidence? You don’t the fruits of the Spirit, which are the result of a changed heart, lead to changed behavior?

But if you want “real and practical evidence” how about someone who, prior to becoming a Christian, donated very little to no money to charity but, after becoming a Christian, donates substantial sums to charity?

Let me know if that qualifies as “real and practical evidence,” and I’ll cite other examples.
Sharing what they have is easy enough, yet many chose not to.

Giving of oneself is more important.