1. Graceland.
    Moves
    02 Apr '05 00:19
    Curious, which person that you've met or know of has impressed you the most with their faith in the Christian God ?
  2. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    02 Apr '05 00:22
    Originally posted by pcaspian
    Curious, which person that you've met or know of has impressed you the most with their faith in the Christian God ?
    chinking58, KellyJay, and Nemesio are the only Christians on this site who have impressed me in the slightest.
  3. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    02 Apr '05 00:251 edit
    I've met some impressive Christians, but what impressed me wasn't their faith in the Christian God. If I saw a Christian set himself on fire, trusting in God to extinguish him, I guess that would be an impressive display of faith. What has impressed me is the kindness and generosity I've seen some Christians exhibit. Huntingbear, for instance, I find impressive not just as a Christian but as a human being. If Nemesio is a Christian, then I find him an impressive Christian.
  4. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    02 Apr '05 00:29
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    chinking58, KellyJay, and Nemesio are the only Christians on this site who have impressed me in the slightest.

Nemesio will be delighted to hear this, in particular in the perspective of the fact that he never claimed to be a Christian ........ I guess because he isn't.
  5. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    02 Apr '05 00:321 edit

John Paul II and a pastor I know, but there are many more.

Edith Stein for instance.
  6. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    02 Apr '05 00:42
    Originally posted by bbarr
    I've met some impressive Christians, but what impressed me wasn't their faith in the Christian God. If I saw a Christian set himself on fire, trusting in God to extinguish him, I guess that would be an impressive display of faith. What has impressed me is the kindness and generosity I've seen some Christians exhibit. Huntingbear, for instance, I find imp ...[text shortened]... ian but as a human being. If Nemesio is a Christian, then I find him an impressive Christian.

Why doesn't Huntingbear discuss things on the RHP forums anymore ?
  7. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    02 Apr '05 00:57
    Originally posted by ivanhoe

Why doesn't Huntingbear discuss things on the RHP forums anymore ?
    He checks in every once in awhile, but he is very busy. He quite reasonably prefers to spend his time studying and being a good father and husband.
  8. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    02 Apr '05 00:58
    I've met some impressive Christians, but what impressed me wasn't their faith in the Christian God. If I saw a Christian set himself on fire, trusting in God to extinguish him, I guess that would be an impressive display of faith. What has impressed me is the kindness and generosity I've seen some Christians exhibit. Huntingbear, for instance, I find imp ...[text shortened]... ian but as a human being. If Nemesio is a Christian, then I find him an impressive Christian.

BBarr: "If I saw a Christian set himself on fire, trusting in God to extinguish him, I guess that would be an impressive display of faith."

You should talk to Huntingbear about this .... it is not an impressive display of faith at all .... it is a gigantic display of sheer stupidity, a gigantic display of not knowing at all what the Christian faith is all about .... Bbarr, you don't know what the Christian faith is all about, otherwise you wouldn't make such gigantically ignorant remarks .... you don't have any clue at all.

9. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    02 Apr '05 01:06

BBarr: "If I saw a Christian set himself on fire, trusting in God to extinguish him, I guess that would be an impressive display of faith."

You should talk to Huntingbear about this .... it is not an impressive display of faith at all .... it is a gigantic display of sheer stupidity, a gigantic display of not knowing at all what the Christian faith is ...[text shortened]... you wouldn't make such gigantically ignorant remarks .... you don't have any clue at all.

That was a joke, Ivanhoe. Chill out. I've seen amazing displays of faith from Christians. Have you read "Fear and Trembling"?
  10. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    02 Apr '05 01:06
    He checks in every once in awhile, but he is very busy. He quite reasonably prefers to spend his time studying and being a good father and husband.

Please ask him about the real reasons, the degrading actions, the insults, the mockery, the secular bigotry displayed so many times towards Christians on this site and of which you are one of the foremen.

Have you asked him what he thought of your famous foulmouthed Haiku's for instance ?
  11. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    02 Apr '05 01:082 edits
    That was a joke, Ivanhoe. Chill out. I've seen amazing displays of faith from Christians. Have you read "Fear and Trembling"?
    BBarr: "That was a joke, Ivanhoe"

Bad joke, showing a lot of ignorance .....
  12. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    02 Apr '05 01:35
    BBarr: "That was a joke, Ivanhoe"

Bad joke, showing a lot of ignorance .....
    Christians aflame always make for an impressive display; at least Nero thought so: he dipped them in tar and used them for streetlights. (Or so goes the myth, likely created by Christians who wanted to declare that they had been persucuted.)

Of course, calling the display impressive does not necessarily mean it was edifying. I thought bbarr's "joke" was a clever play on the word impressive.

Who can forget the impressive display of Buddhist monks setting themselves aflame in Vietnam in the 1960s?
  13. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    02 Apr '05 01:37

Please ask him about the real reasons, the degrading actions, the insults, the mockery, the secular bigotry displayed so many times towards Christians on this site and of which you are one of the foremen.

Have you asked him what he thought of your famous foulmouthed Haiku's for instance ?
    I didn't know I was a foreman of secular bigotry, I thought I was a mere pack member! Hooray, does this mean I get to bust unions?

Anyway, I found Norma McCorvey's poetry deeply offensive, and one bad poem deserves another. If you were offended, good. The point of satire is often to offend. If you want to know Huntingbear's reaction to those poems, ask him yourself. We haven't spoken about it. While you're at it, ask him how he feels about calling people 'nazis', and about hypocrisy in general.

14. Graceland.
    Moves
    02 Apr '05 01:511 edit
    I believe simple acts of faith are often the most touching. I recall seeing an aids infected woman in Natal, South Africa who contracted the virus from her adulterous husband, refused to prostitute her body for money and instead live in relative poverty ( eventhough just about everyone in the village she lived in used this as a way of income). Through all her adversity, her motives were to follow the Lords commands. Her statement of "God is good", considering her adversity, was beautiful.

The second person I found great respect for was a pastor who lost both his wife and two daughters to a freak lorry accident on a highway. The lorry driver made a mistake, overturned and the contents in the back of the lorry smothered the woman and children. This pastor saw the lorry driver a few months back in a cafe, went up to him and told him that it was not his fault and that there was nothing he could have done. Apparently the lorry driver burst into tears.

I mention these two people simply because they had faith in adversity. It was not man that seemed to cause them harm, but God. It is not difficult to keep one's faith when the enemy attacks you or your God, but it is difficult when you are in a position to doubt God's love. So easily both these individuals could have turned to despise God, but they did not. Instead they acted in a way that God acts towards mankind. We do not deserve redemption, we are not owed redemption, in deed, we wronged God, yet He loved His enemy. So to the Christians on this site (RB, Ivan, Darf, Omni ....) I guess I should ask whether you've considered your actions in the face of adversity.

15. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    02 Apr '05 01:56
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Christians aflame always make for an impressive display; at least Nero thought so: he dipped them in tar and used them for streetlights. (Or so goes the myth, likely created by Christians who wanted to declare that they had been persucuted.)

Of course, calling the display impressive does not necessarily mean it was edifying. I thought bbarr's "joke" wa ...[text shortened]... rget the impressive display of Buddhist monks setting themselves aflame in Vietnam in the 1960s?
    You're a disgusting monster. Those Christians died a hero's death for love of the Lord and through the strength of the Lord.

Myth? Tacitus wrote as much. Try again. Are you defending Nero??

I will pray for God to have mercy on you.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree