1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    17 May '05 08:201 edit
    Originally posted by Sratpam
    What I ment was that God was willing to give his son up so that he can protect the rest of his children. It is kind of like sacrificing in chess to make your position ten times better. God did this for the rest of us so that our sins woul ...[text shortened]... erybody that has done wrong. in other words he loves everybody.😀
    Are you suggesting God does not have the ability to protect humanity without having his son tortured and killed?
  2. London
    Moves
    17 May '05 08:531 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Nonsense; Nordly was responding to Stratjam's assertion that the Christian God is like a "perfect father". You are the one going off on a tangent.
    Do you just wait for me to post so that you can start on one of your ad hominem attacks? Get a life!

Yes, Nordlys was presenting his definition as one that was (presumably) morally superior to the one Sratpam implied, but the former stands on its own and can be examined independently.

EDIT: And please get folks' names correct.
  3. London
    Moves
    17 May '05 08:59
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Are you suggesting God does not have the ability to protect humanity without having his son tortured and killed?
    I don't know - but there wasn't a better way.
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 May '05 09:22

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. The sky
    Moves
    17 May '05 17:38
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    What does the "perfect father" do if his child wants to murder someone? Does he step in and prevent the crime? Does he punish his child if and only if the crime cannot be prevented? Does he leave prevention and/or punishment to the authorities? What if he is the presiding authority?

What if he taught his children basic moral values and was a good ...[text shortened]... urdered is another child? What if the first child is planning on killing himself (i.e. suicide)?
    This is really going quite off-topic, so just a short reply. I think that anyone who sees a murder being planned, be it the father of the potential murderer or any other muffin, should try to prevent it. I don't think much of self-administered justice. A father cannot and should not be objective, which is a necessary prerequisite for a judge. If the father is the presiding authority, it would be his job to find someone who can take over that case.

As for my name, "Nordly" would mean something like "Northern shelter". Not too bad, although I do prefer "Northern lights".
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    17 May '05 17:45
    I don't buy it. I think you want to believe so much you accept things which are clearly silly.
  7. The sky
    Moves
    17 May '05 17:47
    There goes god's omnipotence.
  8. Joined
    19 Mar '05
    Moves
    17 May '05 17:50
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    There goes god's omnipotence.
    God can't be omnipotent otherwise he wouldn't be able to father anybody.
  9. London
    Moves
    17 May '05 18:04
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I don't buy it. I think you want to believe so much you accept things which are clearly silly.
    I think you want not to believe so much that you're not going beyond the surface.
  10. London
    Moves
    17 May '05 18:10
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    This is really going quite off-topic, so just a short reply. I think that anyone who sees a murder being planned, be it the father of the potential murderer or any other muffin, should try to prevent it. I don't think much of self-administered justice. A father cannot and should not be objective, which is a necessary prerequisite for a judge. If the father ...[text shortened]... mean something like "Northern shelter". Not too bad, although I do prefer "Northern lights".
    It isn't quite OT. What I'm attempting to demonstrate is that your mental concept of "perfect father" is not so different from Srat's - if you're ready to scratch below the surface, that is. Of course, it's often difficult for us to verbalise our mental insights. I'll try to get back to this later.

And thanks for giving the meaning of your nick. Even though people use assumed names on the Net, it still represents their identity - I try to give it the same respect as I would to a person's name in the physical world.
  11. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    17 May '05 18:38
    And thanks for giving the meaning of your nick. Even though people use assumed names on the Net, it still represents their identity - I try to give it the same respect as I would to a person's name in the physical world.
    Speaking of identities - is it Lucifer Shammer or Lucifer's Hammer?
  12. London
    Moves
    17 May '05 18:40
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Speaking of identities - is it Lucifer Shammer or Lucifer's Hammer?
    Lucifer's Hammer. A Niven-Pournelle novel.
  13. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    17 May '05 18:51
    Do you just wait for me to post so that you can start on one of your ad hominem attacks? Get a life!

Yes, Nordlys was presenting his definition as one that was (presumably) morally superior to the one Sratpam implied, but the former stands on its own and can be examined independently.

EDIT: And please get folks' names correct.
    that wasnt an ad hominem attack.
  14. The sky
    Moves
    17 May '05 19:17
    It isn't quite OT. What I'm attempting to demonstrate is that your mental concept of "perfect father" is not so different from Srat's - if you're ready to scratch below the surface, that is. Of course, it's often difficult for us to verbalise our mental insights. I'll try to get back to this later.
    Please do. So far, I am not able to see much of a similarity.
  15. redbridge/southamptn
    Moves
    03 Jun '05 00:14
    Originally posted by Sratpam
    God is like a perfect father that takes care of you and watches over you. He has a gardening angel watching over all of us. Even for none believers. I have had several incidents in my life that i believe God was over me. Come on God was even willing to give up his own son so that all of or sins would be forgiven. 🙂
    n @ the same time he kils children such as with the egyptians 1st born n @ the birth of the lord n king david's ist born wat the hel has he got against 1st born boys i ask u yer g8t loving god wat a laugh that is wat i got against god-sophie jackson(x jehovah's)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree