1. Joined
    03 Nov '15
    Moves
    10 Jan '17 04:052 edits
    The title says it all. Why should I (or anyone else) be a Christian over any other faith?

I'm not shy to admit that I am distrustful of organized religion, maybe someone can change that by explaining why they believe, what goes into being "A Good Christian", etc.

Provide historical evidence if you can, as I also believe the bible to be a work of fiction.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Jan '17 04:48
    Wait.....wut?

You think the Bible is a work of fiction so you want to know why you should follow the made up book?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Jan '17 04:55
    Originally posted by JakeChess
    Why should I be a Christian over any other faith?
    Assuming that it's the predominant religious faith in the community in which you live, which would perhaps make professing the same faith easy, convenient and even socially enabling/empowering, reasons to become a Christian - if you held the beliefs sincerely - would perhaps include comfort and solace at certain times, community spirit and solidarity, a sense of purpose and meaning, a set of rules or values which might help to make you live your life in a morally sound way, and your belief in an afterlife might help you to come to terms with the inevitability of your own death (and the deaths of people dear to you).
  4. Joined
    03 Nov '15
    Moves
    10 Jan '17 04:551 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    Wait.....wut?

You think the Bible is a work of fiction so you want to know why you should follow the made up book?
    I don't have the desire to follow it. I just want some insight to why Christians are Christians. Why not any other religion? What do they think a good Christian is? It's all a matter of curiosity.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Jan '17 05:05
    Why not any other religion? What do they think a good Christian is?
    I'd say that if you were here living in the neighbourhood I live in, and you wanted to adopt a religion, you'd probably be best off choosing Islam. Religion can work wonders for community spirit and community identity. But the things I mentioned in my previous post would still mostly apply if you lived here but chose Christianity. There are quite a few Christian families living in my street and neighbouring streets.
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    10 Jan '17 05:21
    The title says it all. Why should I (or anyone else) be a Christian over any other faith?

I'm not shy to admit that I am distrustful of organized religion, maybe someone can change that by explaining why they believe, what goes into being "A Good Christian", etc.

Provide historical evidence if you can, as I also believe the bible to be a work of fiction.
    Jesus Christ died and rose from the dead so you could be forgiven by taking your sin upon Himself. Jesus deserves your life, and you are not worthy of Him.

You will never be worthy of Jesus if your looking for what you get out of it, and not looking to what Jesus could get out of you.
  7. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    10 Jan '17 15:331 edit
    I don't have the desire to follow it. I just want some insight to why Christians are Christians. Why not any other religion? What do they think a good Christian is? It's all a matter of curiosity.
    No such thing as a good Christian. Only God is good. We are Christians because he chose us we did not chose him. He first chose us.
  8. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    10 Jan '17 15:37
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    No such thing as a good Christian. Only God is good. We are Christians because he chose us we did not chose him. He first chose us.
    You did not choose God?

Do Christians not have freewill when it comes to their faith?
  9. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    10 Jan '17 16:24
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    You did not choose God?

Do Christians not have freewill when it comes to their faith?
    God gives us the faith. How can a spiritually dead sinner come to God on his/her own without the help of the Holy Spirit drawing him?
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    10 Jan '17 16:26
    There seem to be two questions here. They constitute, imo, the thread title.

Why should I act as a Christian acts?

Why should I believe as a Christian believes?
  11. Joined
    03 Nov '15
    Moves
    10 Jan '17 16:39
    Originally posted by JS357

You got it.

Why should I act in accordance to Christian doctrine?

Why should I believe in the Christian god?
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    10 Jan '17 17:03
    You shouldn't unless you accept the Gospel.
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    10 Jan '17 17:11
    Originally posted by JS357

That's for who to say whose a Christian and how a Christian acts? Neither of those has Jesus as the only focal point that matters. If you wish to keep the full focus on man not God matters, who cares? You may as well talk about joining some social club!
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    10 Jan '17 17:12
    You got it.

Why should I act in accordance to Christian doctrine?

Why should I believe in the Christian god?
    Zzzzzzzzz
  15. Joined
    03 Nov '15
    Moves
    10 Jan '17 17:21
    Clearly this was a mistake. I asked a simple question, all I did was get insulted. Good job breaking the stereotype that Christians are judgmental pricks.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree