1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    10 Jan '17 22:13
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    His failure to understand what he was asking, treating being a Christian as no different
    than joining a chess club.
    No it's not.

And it's because he didn't understand that he was asking.
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    10 Jan '17 23:15
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Why are you guy insulting him again?
    He said he was extending an olive branch.
    Shame on you.
    I'm being honest with him. If he wants to (act like) a Christian he misses the point. It is more than just behaving its accepting the Lord Jesus if he misses that no matter what he looks like or pretends to be he will miss the best and greatest part of being a Christian.
  3. PenTesting
    Moves
    10 Jan '17 23:40
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I'm being honest with him. If he wants to (act like) a Christian he misses the point. It is more than just behaving its accepting the Lord Jesus if he misses that no matter what he looks like or pretends to be he will miss the best and greatest part of being a Christian.
    If he wants to act like a Christian all he has to do is to accept Christ with his mouth like you are suggesting. If he wants to be a good person then he will need to actually follow Christ.
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    11 Jan '17 00:382 edits
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    [b]Why should I act in accordance to Christian doctrine?

Consider living in accordance with the doctrine of Jesus instead.

The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth, commonly referred to as the Jefferson Bible, was a book constructed by Thomas Jefferson in the later years of his life by cutting and pasting with a razor and glue numerous ...[text shortened]... iple of the doctrines of Jesus."[/b]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_Bible
    [/b]
    So instead of the thread title question, he could ask ask why should he be a "disciple of the doctrines of Jesus."

Edit: Should it be in order to be welcome to the Kingdom, as Rajk suggests?
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    11 Jan '17 01:063 edits
    Originally posted by JS357
    So instead of the thread title question, he could ask ask why should he be a "disciple of the doctrines of Jesus."

Edit: Should it be in order to be welcome to the Kingdom, as Rajk suggests?

Which is why I highlighted the following text in the quote from wiki:
    Thomas Jefferson wrote, "A more beautiful or precious morsel of ethics I have never seen..."

Just suggesting that instead of buying into the trappings of "Christianity", he could give the doctrine of Jesus a try.

Should it be in order to be welcome to the Kingdom, as Rajk suggests?
    A case can be made that "living according to the doctrine of Jesus" IS "living in the kingdom".
  6. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    11 Jan '17 01:53
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    If he wants to act like a Christian all he has to do is to accept Christ with his mouth like you are suggesting. If he wants to be a good person then he will need to actually follow Christ.
    A person still can not follow Jesus unless he or she is drawn to follow Him by the Holy Spirit.
  7. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    11 Jan '17 02:08
    Originally posted by JakeChess
    The title says it all. Why should I (or anyone else) be a Christian over any other faith?

I'm not shy to admit that I am distrustful of organized religion, maybe someone can change that by explaining why they believe, what goes into being "A Good Christian", etc.

Provide historical evidence if you can, as I also believe the bible to be a work of fiction.
    Either the Christians are right or they are not. If they are right then you will suffer in the afterlife if you do not become one. If they are wrong and one of the other religions is right then you'd have picked the wrong religion and would presumably have problems in the next world or your reincarnation in this one or whatever. The third possibility is that there isn't a God, or at least not one that cares what humans get up to, in which case it doesn't matter what you do you're doomed anyway.

If you don't believe in the Christian God, which your OP seems to indicate, then there isn't much point. If you do then you already are a Christian. Consequently I'm not sure your question is coherent.
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    11 Jan '17 03:061 edit
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    A person still can not follow Jesus unless he or she is drawn to follow Him by the Holy Spirit.
    A person can act like it when it suits him, and appear to men to be one which is what I
    believe he was going on about. The issue he would run into is the one you bring up,
    without God it doesn't matter what he does or acts like he would just be pretending.
  9. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    11 Jan '17 05:332 edits
    Originally posted by JakeChess
    You got it.

Why should I act in accordance to Christian doctrine?

Why should I believe in the Christian god?
    If you are genuinely interested I suggest you read the book "Jesus among other Gods" by Ravi Zacharias. He was born a Hindu, has multiple PH.Ds in philosophy and has studied all major religions. He was on a bed of suicide when someone brought him a new testament, and with with it hope. Apart from the death and resurrection of Jesus I see no other hope for humanity.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    11 Jan '17 10:41
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    If you are genuinely interested I suggest you read the book "Jesus among other Gods" by Ravi Zacharias. He was born a Hindu, has multiple PH.Ds in philosophy and has studied all major religions. He was on a bed of suicide when someone brought him a new testament, and with with it hope. Apart from the death and resurrection of Jesus I see no other hope for humanity.
    There is no hope for humamity as a group, only hope for the few who reject humanity.
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    11 Jan '17 11:29
    Originally posted by Eladar
    There is no hope for humamity as a group, only hope for the few who reject humanity.
    Where do you get that?
  12. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    11 Jan '17 11:41
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    What about Humanitarianism?If we focus on the values which bind us together, without any of the religious divisions,perhaps we might learn to rely on ourselves and stop passing responsibility to supernatural entities?
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    11 Jan '17 12:16
    Originally posted by OdBod
    What about Humanitarianism?If we focus on the values which bind us together, without any of the religious divisions,perhaps we might learn to rely on ourselves and stop passing responsibility to supernatural entities?
    Assuming of course that the Bible is false. But nice to lnow your religious beliefs.
  14. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    11 Jan '17 13:57
    Assuming of course that the Bible is false. But nice to lnow your religious beliefs.
    Pity sir I can't reciprocate.
  15. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    11 Jan '17 14:40
    Doesn't mater if the book is true or false, if we can progress towards a more humane society that must suit a god if it exists.Seems like a win win situation.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree