1. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    10 Jan '17 17:282 edits
    Originally posted by JakeChess
    Clearly this was a mistake. I asked a simple question, all I did was get insulted. Good job breaking the stereotype that Christians are judgmental pricks.
    Well why follow all of the Christian rules if you don't want to be a Christian?
  2. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Taken by aliens
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    10 Jan '17 17:33
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Zzzzzzzzz
    Surely this is an opportunity to share why one would benefit from opening their heart to a Christian God.

Why would such a question send you to sleep?
  3. Joined
    03 Nov '15
    Moves
    10 Jan '17 17:41
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    Well why follow all of the Christian rules if you don't want to be a Christian?
    I'm biased against Christians. I was hoping maybe someone would be proper and politely explain why I should repent without attacking me. But, given this forum and given the people on it, I was extending the olive branch to the wrong people. I didn't necessarily want to become a Christian, I was just hoping some nice conversation on the subject would balance out my generally anti-Christian leaning. But I was wrong to think people on this forum can have a civil discussion.

Though, I didn't help matters by attacking Eladar and Chaney3, so there's that.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    10 Jan '17 17:54
    Clearly this was a mistake. I asked a simple question, all I did was get insulted. Good job breaking the stereotype that Christians are judgmental pricks.
    You asked an idiotic question hoping to create an argument.

The answer to your question was simple, but all you can do is claim that you have been insulted. I guess you can have your argument that way if you wish.

Complain, complain, complain that's all I've seen from you. You simply have an axe to grind when it comes to Christians. Typical
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10 Jan '17 18:17
    The title says it all. Why should I (or anyone else) be a Christian over any other faith?

I'm not shy to admit that I am distrustful of organized religion, maybe someone can change that by explaining why they believe, what goes into being "A Good Christian", etc.

Provide historical evidence if you can, as I also believe the bible to be a work of fiction.
    By and large, I find the words attributed to Jesus while He walked the Earth to be reasonably sound and reasonably coherent within themselves. What's more, I find much of what was attributed to Him to be remarkably deep and quite profound. As such, by and large, I find the words attributed to Jesus while He walked the Earth to be "true".

I don't share that view of the mythology and beliefs that the NT writers wrapped around them. At best, they can merely echo His words. At worst, they deviate from His words and at times substantially so.

I certainly don't share that view of many of the beliefs espoused by many Christians - many of which are antithetical to what Jesus taught while He walked the Earth.
  6. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10 Jan '17 18:303 edits
    You got it.

Why should I act in accordance to Christian doctrine?

Why should I believe in the Christian god?
    Why should I act in accordance to Christian doctrine?

Consider living in accordance with the doctrine of Jesus instead.

The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth, commonly referred to as the Jefferson Bible, was a book constructed by Thomas Jefferson in the later years of his life by cutting and pasting with a razor and glue numerous sections from the New Testament as extractions of the doctrine of Jesus. Jefferson's condensed composition is especially notable for its exclusion of all miracles by Jesus and most mentions of the supernatural, including sections of the four gospels that contain the Resurrection and most other miracles, and passages that portray Jesus as divine.

In an 1803 letter to Joseph Priestley, Jefferson stated that he conceived the idea of writing his view of the "Christian System" in a conversation with Dr. Benjamin Rush during 1798–99. He proposes beginning with a review of the morals of the ancient philosophers, moving on to the "deism and ethics of the Jews," and concluding with the "principles of a pure deism" taught by Jesus, "omitting the question of his deity."

Also referring to the 1804 version, Jefferson wrote, "A more beautiful or precious morsel of ethics I have never seen; it is a document in proof that I am a real Christian, that is to say, a disciple of the doctrines of Jesus."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_Bible
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    10 Jan '17 18:46
    Shhh - you'll wake up KJ.
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    10 Jan '17 18:53
    The title says it all. Why should I (or anyone else) be a Christian over any other faith?

I'm not shy to admit that I am distrustful of organized religion, maybe someone can change that by explaining why they believe, what goes into being "A Good Christian", etc.

Provide historical evidence if you can, as I also believe the bible to be a work of fiction.
    Belonging to the group 'Christian' is overrated.
    Belonging to the group of people that God would welcome into his Kingdom is whats important.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Jan '17 19:13
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    By and large, I find the words attributed to Jesus while He walked the Earth to be reasonably sound and reasonably coherent within themselves. What's more, I find much of what was attributed to Him to be remarkably deep and quite profound. As such, by and large, I find the words attributed to Jesus while He walked the Earth to be "true".

I don't share ...[text shortened]... many Christians - many of which are antithetical to what Jesus taught while He walked the Earth.
    Don't forget about when he walked the earth.
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    10 Jan '17 21:31
    Really, you were not insulted for asking a simple question. You were insulted for not
    understanding what you were asking.
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    10 Jan '17 21:33
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Surely this is an opportunity to share why one would benefit from opening their heart to a Christian God.

Why would such a question send you to sleep?
    His failure to understand what he was asking, treating being a Christian as no different
    than joining a chess club.
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    10 Jan '17 21:35
    I'm biased against Christians. I was hoping maybe someone would be proper and politely explain why I should repent without attacking me. But, given this forum and given the people on it, I was extending the olive branch to the wrong people. I didn't necessarily want to become a Christian, I was just hoping some nice conversation on the subject would balanc ...[text shortened]... l discussion.

Though, I didn't help matters by attacking Eladar and Chaney3, so there's that.
    My first response to you was on point. It was given politely. The change of subjects left me
    thinking you do not grasp your question you were asking. I also thought you really don't
    care about the answer once you headed down the path you were taking.
  13. PenTesting
    Moves
    10 Jan '17 21:42
    His failure to understand what he was asking, treating being a Christian as no different
    than joining a chess club.
    You are correct. Joining a chess club is a lot harder.
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    10 Jan '17 22:07
    So far the only people that have attempted to answer your questions are non-Christians
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    10 Jan '17 22:11
    Really, you were not insulted for asking a simple question. You were insulted for not
    understanding what you were asking.
    Why are you guy insulting him again?
    He said he was extending an olive branch.
    Shame on you.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree