Worlds problems....

Worlds problems....

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
30 Jun 12

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
30 Jun 12

Income. The middle class today are wealthier (in terms of real dollars’ buying power) than the rich only a century ago.
Environment. Aside for greenhouse gases, Easterbrook shows that virtually all forms of pollution and environmental damage are in decline in the west. CFCs, industrial pollutants, lead in gasoline, just to name a few.
Crime. After peaking in the 1980s, violent crime is down significantly in the United States.
Class Divide. The richest may have more money, but the lifestyle they can buy (travel, home ownership, air conditioning, etc.) are no longer restricted to a minority of the population.
World Poverty. Although some pockets of the world continue to stagnate, the overall reduction in global poverty should be celebrated.
Education. More people are going to school than ever before, Easterbrook argues. And college degrees are now open to more people, rather than just the elite class.
Health Care. Sure, there may be flaws in any system, however people are living longer and healthier lives than before. Easterbrook claims that most diseases worldwide (AIDS is a notable exception) are in decline, and have been for years.
Prejudice. The leader of the United States is black. Even if prejudice still exists, keep in mind that over half a century ago, men like Obama hadn’t even secured voting rights. Gay marriage may be a hot political topic now, but if you compare that to a few decades earlier where homosexuality was illegal, and it is easier to see the march of progress.
Even if you disagree with a few of Easterbrook’s claims, or argue that a few of his his perceived improvements are actually regressions, it’s hard to deny the overall picture: the world is getting better.

http://www.scotthyoung.com/blog/2009/10/28/why-the-world-is-actually-getting-better/

Manny just opposing views

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
30 Jun 12

Originally posted by menace71
What is BETTER today than 100 years ago? 50 years ago?
A lot of doomsayers love to believe we live in the 'end times' and they do this by highlighting every problem society has and acting as if we are on the verge of civilizations collapse, thus the end times. Well as we are starting a new year, I would like to ask all of you (regardless of religion or lac ...[text shortened]... ood points " not my intellectual property "

Trying to get back to the OP LOL

Manny
Just my view of what I see:

#1. Today while I was out sweeping, the business next door to us, a young white fairly educated young man came out of the shop yelling at the Middle eastern woman who is also the owner and was calling her every name in the book including "Sand N- - - -r and she promptly replied you F - - - - - g American pig. I could go on but you get the point.
I live in Vancouver Wa and there is a very high mixture of many nationalities including Russians. And I can promise you the Russian mob is very strong here and the tension is very high. They do not like the minorities at all and even being white I would never cross them in anyway. That is not only a prejudice issue but a crime one as well.
I also grew up in the South and to this very day there are places neither blacks or whites will go into at night as you will probably not come out the next morning.
And if you think all is better, just wait until the next white cop kills a young black man. Go down in person, get in the middle of that and see how it goes for you...

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
30 Jun 12

What is BETTER today than 100 years ago? 50 years ago?
A lot of doomsayers love to believe we live in the 'end times' and they do this by highlighting every problem society has and acting as if we are on the verge of civilizations collapse, thus the end times. Well as we are starting a new year, I would like to ask all of you (regardless of religion or lac ...[text shortened]... ood points " not my intellectual property "

Trying to get back to the OP LOL

Manny
2. Literacy. Adults being unable to read was COMMON 100 years ago, and not that rare 50 years ago. But, despite the hand wringers who bash our public schools, I have yet to meet an adult in america who could not read and I am 40 years old.

We have at least 3 customers that cannot read, and they are American. So what is your point?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
30 Jun 12

3. Medicine: Our lifespans are longer, and our quality of health is better. It is not uncommon these days to go to a gym and see someone who is 50, 60, or even older not only in good health, but working out! (btw there is a guy at my gym who is pushing 60 and looks like a competitive body builder).

Yes that is true on some levels. Many things have been discovered that do help.
BUT take those away and would it be better?
Most in the world do not have access to these things and the life span has not changed.
And with some meds that have been used for sometime, they find some have done more damage then good.
Man has learned thru the knowledge that we have been given by God to improve some things, but take those away and we would not be better off then our ancestors were. We are still the same imperfect humans they were and still get sick and die...... Only God can correct that.

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
30 Jun 12

Originally posted by galveston75
2. Literacy. Adults being unable to read was COMMON 100 years ago, and not that rare 50 years ago. But, despite the hand wringers who bash our public schools, I have yet to meet an adult in america who could not read and I am 40 years old.

We have at least 3 customers that cannot read, and they are American. So what is your point?
Just giving a counter point and argument to yours.
playing Devils advocate if you will 😉

Truth is I actually believe that in a lot of ways the world is better now than at any other time in history but I do believe people are morally bankrupt than ever SO THAT IS MY POINT !!!!!!!!!!!

Manny

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
30 Jun 12

I've seen similar stuff like that also....I saw some dudes smash some guys head into the ground. (Called the cops) I've seen fools trying to stab each other not more than 50' away from me. That was surreal as I thought wow I might see some one get stabbed while I'm ringing out customers

Manny

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
30 Jun 12

Just giving a counter point and argument to yours.
playing Devils advocate if you will 😉

Truth is I actually believe that in a lot of ways the world is better now than at any other time in history but I do believe people are morally bankrupt than ever SO THAT IS MY POINT !!!!!!!!!!!

Manny
Yes some things are better. I've never denyed that some things are better for sure. But it's the deep rooted issues that have always been here from day one but now we have the added issues such as the economy, polution as you mentioned. Yes the west has made great strides in correcting that here. But the problem is growing fast in the other developing countries such a India and China. So with the problems with glogal heating already at dangerous levels, then you add in 4 billion more people coming online with their progressing with automobiles and the support vehicals they will need in their growth, it's only begun and they show no interest in stopping theiur growth.
Then you have so many countries that are not intersted at all in saving the oceans but only what they can exploite from it.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
30 Jun 12

I've seen similar stuff like that also....I saw some dudes smash some guys head into the ground. (Called the cops) I've seen fools trying to stab each other not more than 50' away from me. That was surreal as I thought wow I might see some one get stabbed while I'm ringing out customers

Manny
Yes it happens all over. Used to it seemed that you'd get punched a few times and it was over but now it seems they want to really hurt you or even kill. It doesn't matter to them it seems.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
30 Jun 12

Just a point to think about. Some here say things are the same or even better then in the past.
Look back at our grand parents or their parents time and even before them. Us older guys can remember those times as a kid.
We can remember the things that were accepted and things that were not.
One example is homosexuality. It has always been here but not as obvious as now and not as accepted as it is now.
What are the differances now? Most of society has accepted it or at least puts up with it.
What has happened to change the view of most people now? Has God's morals set out for us in the Bible changed? Has his laws changed? Has what he has always condemned changed?
Or have we lost touch with those commands from God and lost the understanding or even the fear of what God has said and forgot what the results of what will happen to those who practice that life style?

So if ones today say things aren't bad and in fact are better, are they really better or have we just given up and have given into the way satan or society wants us to think?
Have we become numb to God's viewpoint?

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
30 Jun 12

Just a point to think about. Some here say things are the same or even better then in the past.
Look back at our grand parents or their parents time and even before them. Us older guys can remember those times as a kid.
We can remember the things that were accepted and things that were not.
One example is homosexuality. It has always been here but ...[text shortened]... en into the way satan or society wants us to think?
Have we become numb to God's viewpoint?
Even homosexuality has been prevalent throughout history. While is it mentioned in the new testament. (I not trying to argue it here as to if Homosexuality is right or wrong) I guess you can say it is more out in the open at least in the West and more accepted. I will say this however intellect and technology is not a bastion or citadel for morality and I don't think these things necessarily mean the world is a better place but it's hard to argue the other way.

Manny

Moves
30 Jun 12

What do you mean a succesful outcome? That everyone here sees this the way I do and agrees? I'm not expecting that at all and never have.
My goal was to share this info and perhaps, just perhaps have someone see this and maybe confess they did not know things were this bad, say with the oceans as all the links I posted prove.
And then maybe just may ...[text shortened]... would be different.
So I'm in need of no advise other then to not waist my time here....
It is up to you to define what a successful outcome would be.

If you define it as stopping your waist of time, so, go ahead. Stop.

Maybe learning that the proper term is waste of time, could be enough.🙂

You sound embittered by your experience here. I hope I did not contribute to that, and am sorry if I did.

F

Moves
30 Jun 12

#1. Today while I was out sweeping, the business next door to us, a young white fairly educated young man came out of the shop yelling at the Middle eastern woman who is also the owner and was calling her every name in the book including "Sand N- - - -r and she promptly replied you F - - - - - g American pig. I could go on but you get the point.
What does this anecdote tell us about the 12th century or the 15th century or the 18th century or the mid 20th century? What does 'the business next door to galveston75' tell us about the sweep of world history?

F

Moves
30 Jun 12

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
When one considers your original premise it has as usual descended into what can be described as nothing more than the typical character assassination that seems to pervade the forum under the guise of spirituality. Ask yourself what you have learned and you will see that its nothing more than empty and hollow words from people whose single goal i ...[text shortened]... ous bickering are really wheat among weeds and to be valued for their insight and encouragement.
It's all about how your beliefs make you behave robbie. That is the spiritual message you give off. When one finds how brittle and furtive your mind map and interpersonal forum skills are, one can then put your cultish prediction that the end of the world is around the corner in its correct intellectual context.

F

Moves
30 Jun 12

One example is homosexuality. It has always been here but not as obvious as now and not as accepted as it is now.?
Decreasing intolerance and discrimination against homosexuals is a sign of moral progress.