Your will be done

Your will be done

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
23 Sep 18

In the Christian tradition, the Lord's Prayer is:

"Our Father in Heaven,
hallowed be your name.
Your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven
."

Matthew 6:9-10, English Standard Version

Could someone with more knowledge/experience explain: who is the "by whom" implied in the line "Your will be done"? In other words, is the prayer really saying, "Your will be done by you [God]"--as in, "May you do to/in the world whatever you see fit"? Or is the prayer really saying, "Your will be done by us"--as in, "May we do to/in the world whatever you see fit"?

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
23 Sep 18

Originally posted by @wittywonka

"Our Father in Heaven,
hallowed be your name.
Your kingdom come,
[b]your will be done,
."

Could someone with more knowledge/experience explain: who is the "by whom" implied in the line "Your will be done"? In other words, ...[text shortened]... ying, "Your will be done by us"--as in, "May we do to/in the world whatever you see fit"?[/b]
We create the world with our thoughts. Those creations that work are alligned with the will of God.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
23 Sep 18

"Our Father in Heaven,
hallowed be your name.
Your kingdom come,
[b]your will be done,
."

Could someone with more knowledge/experience explain: who is the "by whom" implied in the line "Your will be done"? In other words, ...[text shortened]... ying, "Your will be done by us"--as in, "May we do to/in the world whatever you see fit"?[/b]
it means nothing its a pithy story.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
23 Sep 18

"Our Father in Heaven,
hallowed be your name.
Your kingdom come,
[b]your will be done,
."

Christ strove to do the will of the Father while on earth, He sought it out, and even said
that He could do nothing of Himself but only what the Father was doing. The seeking of
God's will for our walk, would be to find out what it for us to do, and do it. It is also an
accepting that God is in control so when the good or bad things take place we shouldn't
assume God is then happy with us when things are going our way, or mad at us when
they are not, how things play out are both from God. When it rains the good and the bad
both get wet. Your will be done, is an acceptance of come what may, God I'm yours and
will yield to you.

rain

Moves
23 Sep 18

Omfg, why can't you guys just answer his question?

"Your" will refers to God's will.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
23 Sep 18

Originally posted by @vivify

its hard to know who I'm talking to

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
23 Sep 18

It's a prayer. In prayer, one talks to God, so of course 'your' will means God's will.

What he's asking is, God's will be done by whom? By God or by us?

I would say it doesn't matter, as long as it's done.

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
23 Sep 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @suzianne

Yes, this is what I'm asking.

I'm not sure I agree that it doesn't matter, though. Don't you think there could be theological implications if it's "by God" or "by us"?

To me, "by God" would suggest that humans don't have a role to play in making our world more like the Kingdom of God; humans should just stand by and wait for God to take care of it. Whereas "by us" would obviously suggest the opposite. I'm wary of cherry-picking one or two verses out of context, and I understand that readers could find support for either of those views of Christianity elsewhere in the Bible, but seeing as the Lord's Prayer is pretty important in the Bible, as far as prayers go, it seems like this could be a distinction with a difference.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
23 Sep 18

I'm not sure I agree that it doesn't matter, though. Don't you think there could be theological implications if it's "by God" or "by us"?

To me, "by God" would suggest that humans don't have a role to play in making our world more like the Kingdom of God; humans should just stand by and wait for God to take care of it. ...[text shortened]... Bible, as far as prayers go, it seems like this could be a distinction with a difference.
All the prayers in the Bible are important, but Jesus' the most important. He was giving us
a pattern to base our lives on, which is yield to Father. With respect to our wills and Gods,
as we turn our lives over to the Lord and actually seek His will, we draw closer to Him not
physically, because He is as close to as He can be, but we will recognize Him more and
more, which is the best part of Christianity.

rain

Moves
23 Sep 18

Originally posted by @suzianne
It's a prayer. In prayer, one talks to God, so of course 'your' will means God's will.

Thank you.

I wonder why no else could just give this straightforward and simple of an answer

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
23 Sep 18

Thank you.

I wonder why no else could just give this straightforward and simple of an answer
Communication is not always as straightforward as that. We can write what we believe are clear instructions but if any part can be interpreted in two ways, odds are those following them will get it right half the time.

Read a book!

Moves
24 Sep 18
1 edit

"Our Father in Heaven,
hallowed be your name.
Your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven."

Could someone with more knowledge/experience explain: who is the "by whom" implied in the line "Your will be done"? In other words, is the ...[text shortened]... ying, "Your will be done by us"--as in, "May we do to/in the world whatever you see fit"?
"Thy will be done" is a prayer that we and others obey the laws specified by God.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
24 Sep 18

Thank you.

because you dont define your terms

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
24 Sep 18

To me, "by God" would suggest that humans don't have a role to play in making our world more like the Kingdom of God; humans should just stand by and wait for God to take care of it. ...[text shortened]... Bible, as far as prayers go, it seems like this could be a distinction with a difference.
I disagree.

By telling God, Thy will be done, the importance is placed on God's will, not by what agent this occurs. Of course we should strive to adhere to God's will. And yeah, that's God's will, not ours. The prayer is about submission of our will to God's will.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
24 Sep 18

Originally posted by @handyandy
"Thy will be done" is a prayer that we and others obey the laws specified by God.
It much more than that, that is just a legal obey or die.

What the prayer is about is yielding to God's will, come what may, yes obey, but if
obedience brings about good or bad, God's will be done. It is trusting God through it all
because this life isn't it, how this life goes doesn't define how we are walking with the
Lord or not. We are not good with God because things go well, we are good with God
because He loves us, and that has nothing to do with us, its all Him.