1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    21 Nov '17 11:172 edits
    I cant help but think both teams will be fairly equal on paper. The Aussie bowling attack looks to have more teeth but they are also prone to injury so they may slow up as the series goes on. I'm not sure who is going to stand up for England buit Root and Cook will have to be there or there abouts.

If the cool dry weather holds it could be a boon for the English (if not exactly for swinger Anderson) . Once again the toss is alll important as I'm sure England will want to conjure something in the first and throw a cat among the pidgeons. A draw would do for them in this one. I cant see them winning three but with the day/night test they could jag a couple for sure.

Australia win 2-1
  2. Standard memberweststigersbob
    High Class Blunderer
    On a train somewhere
    Moves
    22 Nov '17 05:13
    England’s biggest problem is that they only have 4 genuine “world class” players in Cook, Root, Broad and Anderson. The rest are frankly, average. And their best have all got huge question marks over their Australian form. Cook played well on one tour (it was 8 years ago though) and looked lost last tour. Root has a great England technique, but angled bats are often found out in Australian conditions. Broad is nearing the end of his career, and Anderson needs swing friendly conditions to be a factor at all.
    On the other hand, Australia’s batting outside of Warner and Smith looks decidedly weak, however their bowling looks far too strong and will win them the series, even if injuries strike.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    22 Nov '17 09:42
    As well as those 4 we have Jonny Bairstowe, W/K who is more than adequate behind the stumps and averages 40 with the bat. He would walk into the Aussie 11.

Also Moeen Ali, who managed the rare feat of 200 runs/20 wickets in our short 4 match series vs SA this Summer (the same SA who embarrassed Aus less than 12 months ago at home ~ we won 3-1) Again , averages well into the 30s and often comes in as low as #8. You will remember him from your last tour.

Admittedly we have some problem positions, as do you. But to say we are a '4 man team' is clearly rubbish
  4. Standard memberweststigersbob
    High Class Blunderer
    On a train somewhere
    Moves
    22 Nov '17 10:04
    Originally posted by @blood-on-the-tracks
    As well as those 4 we have Jonny Bairstowe, W/K who is more than adequate behind the stumps and averages 40 with the bat. He would walk into the Aussie 11.

Also Moeen Ali, who managed the rare feat of 200 runs/20 wickets in our short 4 match series vs SA this Summer (the same SA who embarrassed Aus less than 12 months ago at home ~ we won 3- ...[text shortened]... y we have some problem positions, as do you. But to say we are a '4 man team' is clearly rubbish
    BOTT - Stoneman, Vince, Malan are average. At best. Ball and Woakes wouldn’t make Australia’s third XI. Bairstow is a fair cricketer. But no way he ‘walks into Australia’s 11’. He’s probably a better batsmen than any of the Australian keepers, but his glove work is far inferior. Moeen Ali is not a good enough batsman to bat six, and he’s not incisive enough a bowler to take a bag of wickets in Australia. A spinner taking wickets against South Africa isn’t a big deal. England’s only chance is Cook and Root making a tonne of runs, and Anderson and Broad taking the bulk of the wickets. And neither Broad nor Anderson have ever had a great tour to Australia.
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    22 Nov '17 10:161 edit
    Stoneman is a solid enough opener who has begun the tour in excellent form. He is at least the equal of your new opener, was was EXTREMELY ordinary when playing County cricket over here. Your jettisoning of young Renshaw is odd.
    I wouldnt argue about Malan and Vince, who wouldn't be in my XI. To be fair to Malan, he seems to have started the tour well.
    Bairstow's glovework is inferior to your WKs? Is this the one that just got dropped , who was nearly given the push for the last Test in Bangladesh after letting a million byes through in the first Test of that series? Or the new panic selection who I read isnt even keeping wicket for his state side? We shall see. I'd bring back little Neville. He was REALLY poor!

You can 'have a go' at Ali all you like. Your lot were totally sick of the sight of him last tour to England, coming in down the order and flaying you to all parts. Easy to take SA wickets? Not so easy for Australia 10 months ago!

Take a look at Woakes' Test record. He is a talented player. Your 3rd XI must be good! Maybe you shoild rock them up instead.
  6. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    22 Nov '17 19:45
    Originally posted by @karoly-aczel
    I cant help but think both teams will be fairly equal on paper. The Aussie bowling attack looks to have more teeth but they are also prone to injury so they may slow up as the series goes on. I'm not sure who is going to stand up for England buit Root and Cook will have to be there or there abouts.

If the cool dry weather holds it could be a boon f ...[text shortened]... inning three but with the day/night test they could jag a couple for sure.

Australia win 2-1
    I don't agree.
    I thing the second phase of the Aussie bowling attack is weak.
    If the opening pair fail to penetrate England should cash in and then it will come down to stamina and fitness.
    The Aussies (I am told) are going with a 4 man bowling attack which was o.k when they had Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath.
    The fact that the Aussies don't often lose at the "Gabbatoir" is irrelevant in my opinion as are a lot of the other historical statistics the pundits trot out all the time
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    23 Nov '17 05:081 edit
    Originally posted by @venda
    I don't agree.
    I thing the second phase of the Aussie bowling attack is weak.
    If the opening pair fail to penetrate England should cash in and then it will come down to stamina and fitness.
    The Aussies (I am told) are going with a 4 man bowling attack which was o.k when they had Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath.
    The fact that the Aussies don't often lose at ...[text shortened]... in my opinion as are a lot of the other historical statistics the pundits trot out all the time
    Despuite Enlgands great start (90/1 atm ) the Aussie top four -Starc,Cummins,Hazelwood and Lyon are all top bowlers.
    In the last Sheffield Shield match with NSW v WA , WA was 177/0 and the game loo0ked headed for a draw before Starc took a doublt hatrick (not done since over 100 years ago) and the rest mopped up by the others for an emphatic win. And WA are no slouches.
    I do agree with the Gabba thing. Winnign the toss at the Gabba is a huge advantage. The weather is cool and dry and great for batting. England should be eyeing 500+ if they are not too many down at stumps.
  8. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    23 Nov '17 19:06
    Watched the highlights this morning.(Doesn't start while midnight in the U.K.-watched the 1st 15 overs live)
    Not impressed with Hazlewood and Cummings.
    Lyon was brilliant.Pitch should suit Moeen Ali.
    I think it will come down to the bowling attack in the end and England have more variety and strength
  9. Subscriberradioactive69
    Fun, fun fun!!
    On the beach
    Moves
    25 Nov '17 07:42
    Watched the highlights this morning.(Doesn't start while midnight in the U.K.-watched the 1st 15 overs live)
    I think it will come down to the bowling attack in the end and England have more variety and strength
    Unfortunately my friend, you couldn't be more wrong.

Ali did nothing, Cummings did well in the first innings and Hazelwood destroyed the top order in the pommies second innings.

Aussies are destroying them. England hoped winning the toss would save them but it seems it is not to be.
  10. Standard memberweststigersbob
    High Class Blunderer
    On a train somewhere
    Moves
    25 Nov '17 08:33
    Originally posted by @radioactive69

Ali did nothing, Cummings did well in the first innings and Hazelwood destroyed the top order in the pommies second innings.

Aussies are destroying them. England hoped winning the toss would save them but it seems it is not to be.
    I wouldn’t say Australia is “destroying” England, but they are definitely in front now.
    I’ve got to say Ali, Woakes and Ball were very disappointing bowling today. Woakes is 3/4 there in these conditions. He either needs to make the ball to talk more or gain a yard of pace. Ball much the same. Ali - he’s a part timer really. Nowhere near the class of Lyon or Graeme Swann.

Australia - again rescued by the tail. It’s getting beyond ridiculous how poorly our No.6 & 7 bat. Shaun Marsh had done all the hard work, yet couldn’t pick a telegraphed slow ball let alone play it convincingly. Paine showed the same form as Wade and Nevill before him really.
  11. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    25 Nov '17 16:09
    Originally posted by @radioactive69

Taking a couple of wickets is hardly "destroying" the top order.
    Batting is getting more difficult as the pitch changes but England have the longer/stronger batting line up.
    I agree Moeen Ali had an off day
    The next 2 or three sessions will probably decide the result.
    That and Anderson's injury which England are denying.
    If he's NOT injured why wait an hour to give him the ball when he came back on the field?
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    26 Nov '17 00:03
    Wager a fiver on that?
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    26 Nov '17 00:111 edit
    3 goood yet slow seesions for Enlgand. 6/100 in the fourth. Smith guides them to a strong postion and Ali seems the only one to take it up to them. Lets go England ....For the sake of the series!!
  14. Subscriberradioactive69
    Fun, fun fun!!
    On the beach
    Moves
    27 Nov '17 02:57
    Taking a couple of wickets is hardly "destroying" the top order.
    Batting is getting more difficult as the pitch changes but England have the longer/stronger batting line up.
    I agree Moeen Ali had an off day
    The next 2 or three sessions will probably decide the result.
    That and Anderson's injury which England are denying.
    If he's NOT injured why wait an hour to give him the ball when he came back on the field?
    Destroyed sums it up. 10 wicket win.

5-0 still looking good. Go you champion Aussies !!!
  15. Subscriberradioactive69
    Fun, fun fun!!
    On the beach
    Moves
    28 Nov '17 02:05
    Man, the pommies out there have gone real quiet.

They'll be even quieter after the next test.

Que the chirping cricket sounds .....

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree