Ashes 2017

Ashes 2017

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

st johnstone

Moves
05 Jan 18

Originally posted by @venda
No reason really.Just when I talk to football supporters of which I am not one they nearly all say Scottish football is boring.Don't know why.Perhaps there aren't as many overpaid pri madonna's playing up there pretending to be injured
You don't like football
But just bump into football fans who talk about boring Scottish football? ..
What are the odds ?

I don't like cricket but I have never met any cricket fans. Well ever.

What are the odds ?

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
05 Jan 18

Originally posted by @roma45
You don't like football
But just bump into football fans who talk about boring Scottish football? ..
What are the odds ?

I don't like cricket but I have never met any cricket fans. Well ever.

What are the odds ?
My wife is an avid football fan -longtime season ticket holder at Rotherham Utd.
When I go out with her on social functions with her footy mates the conversation is about little else.
I happened to watch Celtic on the telly back in the late 60's or 70's when they won the European cup.
If I mention this in conversation someone will always say "Scottish football is boring."
Don't know and don't really care why.
I just thought it was a common view this side of the border.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
06 Jan 18

Originally posted by @blood-on-the-tracks
Smith having a great series (to put it lightly!), have always been an admirer on this forum. He IS a puzzling batsman, right across his stumps, has a fantastic eye.

Which records is he chasing? Surely Bradman holds all Aussie batting records, apart from MOST runs or centuries in entire career, as The Don only played 50 or so Tests.

Nice re ...[text shortened]... . highest score ever, in all Tests, for an opener carrying his bat. You'd like that in your cv
records? I'm thinkin the matches played/centuries scored. If he keeps going like this for another 6 years (he's 28 now) . And you just cant see his form faltering.
After the 100 not out in melbourne Smith went to have a net that nite for a couple of hours. Ice cold!!

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
06 Jan 18

Why play Starc? coming back from injury,dead rubber, give another bowler a look before south africa ...
I guess it's just the culture now. Every test is important and you play no matter what if you can.
Still australia had nothing to gain and potentially a bit to lose by playing Starc.

Good to see young English bowlers doing well. The leg spin is a treat.

Moves
07 Jan 18

I happened to watch Celtic on the telly back in the late 60's or 70's when they won the European cup.
If I mention this in conversation someone will always say "Scottish football is boring."
Don't know and don't really care why.
I'll tell you why.

There's exactly two clubs in Scotland, two or three nearly-also-ran's-but-not-really, and a sporranload of absolute nobodies who couldn't even beat my local amateurs.

st johnstone

Moves
08 Jan 18

Originally posted by @shallow-blue
I'll tell you why.

There's exactly two clubs in Scotland, two or three nearly-also-ran's-but-not-really, and a sporranload of absolute nobodies who couldn't even beat my local amateurs.
Same for every league in Europe.
Spanish two or three
German one
England one this year
Italian two
Dutch???? Any one care?

Your lack of knowledge is amazing

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
08 Jan 18

Spanish two or three
German one
England one this year
Italian two
Dutch???? Any one care?

Yes ,sadly money is a big factor.The less well financed clubs have no chance.As for the team names they may as well be called 1 -92 in England 'cos no way do the players have any affinity to Man City, Chelsea etc
Getting back to the thread, England just aren't good enough at the long game outside England at the moment unless the conditions and pitches suit them

st johnstone

Moves
08 Jan 18

Yes ,sadly money is a big factor.The less well financed clubs have no chance.As for the team names they may as well be called 1 -92 in England 'cos no way do the players have any affinity to Man City, Chelsea etc
Getting back to the thread, England just aren't good enough at the long game outside England at the moment unless the conditions and pitches suit them
Money talks can't argue there.

Celtic have a wage bill of over £40 million to win the league and get under £3 million
Maths don't work there.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
08 Jan 18
1 edit

Well i enjoyed the cricket. Watched a bit of the
20/20 BBL and thought how 'not

cricket' it was. Especially batting form. It's impossible to guage.

If this bowling unit stay together we should see them give England a good run away next time..... as for the scottish league i just happen to have a celtic jersey and a rangers one. good nick too. gotta be worth a few buks on ebay, eh? hihih...

cheers people, thanks for the banter 😵

Fun, fun fun!!

On the beach

Moves
09 Jan 18

Originally posted by @blood-on-the-tracks
As well as those 4 we have Jonny Bairstowe, W/K who is more than adequate behind the stumps and averages 40 with the bat. He would walk into the Aussie 11.

Also Moeen Ali, who managed the rare feat of 200 runs/20 wickets in our short 4 match series vs SA this Summer (the same SA who embarrassed Aus less than 12 months ago at home ~ we won 3- ...[text shortened]... y we have some problem positions, as do you. But to say we are a '4 man team' is clearly rubbish
OMG what a hiding. Probably the most convincing Ashes victory in history.

The English were absolutely diabolically terrible. It was actually quite comical. The last test in particular portrayed what an enormous gulf there is between the teams. England couldn't even get the Aussies out once and in the end the Aussies declared their innings and still won by an innings and 123 runs. I think we could field 6 players (three batsmen a wicky and two bowlers) and still win easily.

Moeen Ali, your man, had a great series. 5-575 over 5 tests. Great figures. He also averaged less than 20 with the bat and was probably the worst player to ever be sent to Australia. I don't know about remembering him from our last tour but we'll remember him from this tour as the worst player to have ever graced our shores !!!

I also wouldn't swap Bairstowe for Paine in a pink fit. Timmy had a bottler of a series averaging 48 with the bat and taking some screamers behind the stumps.

Vince and Stoneman are history. They'll disappear never to be heard of again. Embarrassing.

Your new spinner Crane showed his stuff taking.........1-193. Thankfully the Aussies didn't make him bowl again after putting him to the sword in the first innings. I think it'll take him quite some time to get over the thrashing he received at the hands of our champions. Hopefully we may see him again some day.

Man, gotta hand it to you. You're the kiss of death. Please.....in future let us know what you're tipping so we can get on the opposition. We'll make a motza.

Take it easy big fella, you're a legend.

Moves
09 Jan 18

Spanish two or three
German one
England one this year
Italian two
Dutch???? Any one care?

Any Spanish, German or even English first league club could beat any Scots team except Celtic or Rangers, most of them without even trying.

The Dutch league is not that good, and the Old Firm is better than the top Dutch teams these days, but that's all. The rest of your teams would lose even against Heerenveen. Hearts? Kilmarnock? Partick Thistle Nil? Don't make me laugh.

Scots footie is two teams and a lot of rubble. Anyone outside Scotland can see that.

st johnstone

Moves
09 Jan 18

Any Spanish, German or even English first league club could beat any Scots team except Celtic or Rangers, most of them without even trying.

The Dutch league is not that good, and the Old Firm is better than the top Dutch teams these days, but that's all. The rest of your teams would lose even against Heerenveen. Hearts? Kilmarnock? Partick Thistle ...[text shortened]... e laugh.

Scots footie is two teams and a lot of rubble. Anyone outside Scotland can see that.
Utter nonsense.
You make stupid statements then come up with a comparison that will never happen

Moves
10 Jan 18

Originally posted by @radioactive69
OMG what a hiding. Probably the most convincing Ashes victory in history.

The English were absolutely diabolically terrible. It was actually quite comical. The last test in particular portrayed what an enormous gulf there is between the teams. England couldn't even get the Aussies out once and in the end the Aussies declared their innings and still ...[text shortened]... so we can get on the opposition. We'll make a motza.

Take it easy big fella, you're a legend.
Hi Champ

Noticeably lacking in any *betting chat*

Let me mock you.....

You busy spending your winnings on that 5-0 prediction?

Or you make thousands on the inevitable 'lay off' bet?

Hey, Vince is your man. You want me to quote your championing of him a few pages back?

Told you many times Champ. Home teams win Ashes series. Only one team has won away in last 17 years, and it wasn't Oz

You can't even put up decent posts when your lot win

Moves
10 Jan 18
2 edits

Originally posted by @radioactive69

Please.....in future let us know what you're tipping so we can get on the opposition. We'll make a motza.
Oops.

There it is, at the bottom of another almost illegible rant

(If we had backed 5-0 would we have made a 'motza'? Is that a word for 'lose'. )

........ You were tipping 5-0.

How did that work for you, Champ?

(I had 5000 dollars as a 'lay off' on the 4th Test and am taking my family to Europe on the winnings......honest)

Moves
10 Jan 18

[b]Any Spanish, German or even English first league club could beat any Scots team except Celtic or Rangers, most of them without even trying.
Sorry, but that is unsubstantiated rubbish.

I would back Aberdeen vs Swansea .

If you move away from the top 6 in Spain and Germany, the quality falls.

In any case, your claim, especially with the ridiculous *without even trying* is unprovable, inflammatory nonsense.