Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member sasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    13 Jan '14 08:02
    This is why the West in general and America in particular is superior. We bomb these savages back to the Stone Age and don't apologize for doing it.

An Afghan girl has told the BBC that her family forced her to attack a police checkpoint in Helmand province.

The girl said her brother and father had beaten her, ordering her to put on a suicide vest.

She was taken into protective custody in the provincial capital Lashkar Gah, after an Afghan soldier spotted her wearing the vest last Monday.

Said to be about 10, she has appealed to Afghan President Hamid Karzai to put her in a new home.

A presidential spokeswoman said she would only be returned to relatives if tribal elders guaranteed her safety.

The girl is thought to be the sister of a prominent Taliban commander, who police say encouraged her to carry out the attack.

'Treated like a slave'

She told the BBC's Newsday programme that she had been scared to carry out the attack, but that her brother had promised only her targets would die.

She added that her father had ordered her to return home, but she refused to obey.

"I said: 'No, I will kill myself rather than go with you'," she said.

"The same thing will happen again. They have told me before: 'If you don't do it this time, we will make you do it again.'"

The girl said she had not been allowed to learn to read and write.

"I did all the things at home, I cooked, I cleaned the whole house, and they would treat me badly as if I was a slave," she said.

In her appeal to Mr Karzai last week, the child said: "I won't go back there. God didn't make me to become a suicide bomber. I ask the president to put me in a good place."

The president has condemned the Taliban over the incident, but the group has denied any involvement in the alleged plot.
  2. Subscriber Rajk999
    Enjoying
    13 Jan '14 10:11
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    This is why the West in general and America in particular is superior. We bomb these savages back to the Stone Age and don't apologize for doing it.

An Afghan girl has told the BBC that her family forced her to attack a police checkpoint in Helmand province.

The girl said her brother and father had beaten her, ordering her to put on a suicide ves ...[text shortened]... ned the Taliban over the incident, but the group has denied any involvement in the alleged plot.
    Nothing surprising here. Typical Islamic extremism.
  3. 13 Jan '14 14:02

The girl said her brother and father had beaten her, ordering her to put on a suicide ves ...[text shortened]... ned the Taliban over the incident, but the group has denied any involvement in the alleged plot.
    Why America in particular?
  4. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    13 Jan '14 16:26

American's inept attempts to "bomb these savages back to the Stone Age" has undoubtedly greatly contributed to the popularity of such backward beliefs. War always forces many on both sides to the extreme fringes; your glee at "bombing" is a mirror image of the extremism of an OBL.
  5. Standard member sasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    13 Jan '14 16:46
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    American's inept attempts to "bomb these savages back to the Stone Age" has undoubtedly greatly contributed to the popularity of such backward beliefs. War always forces many on both sides to the extreme fringes; your glee at "bombing" is a mirror image of the extremism of an OBL.
    First off, there's no "glee" - it's a clear-eyed vision of what needs to be done. Every person in the world who doesn't pray to Mecca called the Afghanistan conflict the necessary war - the good war.

Second - to compare a discerning agreement with a decision to go to war to Islamofascist extremism is simply silly. It also goes right to the heart of my point - you're still able to look at the United States on equal moral footing as a society with a value system that allows it to send its ten-year-old girls on suicide missions - that is, when they're not being married off and then raped by men many multiples of their age.
  6. 13 Jan '14 16:51
    First off, there's no "glee" - it's a clear-eyed vision of what needs to be done. Every person in the world who doesn't pray to Mecca called the Afghanistan conflict the necessary war - the good war.

Second - to compare a discerning agreement with a decision to go to war to Islamofascist extremism is simply silly. It also goes right to the heart of ...[text shortened]... - that is, when they're not being married off and then raped by men many multiples of their age.
    So what needs to be done precisely and how will this help stop suicide bombings?
  7. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    13 Jan '14 16:57 / 1 edit

Second - to compare a discerning agreement with a decision to go to war to Islamofascist extremism is simply silly. It also goes right to the heart of ...[text shortened]... - that is, when they're not being married off and then raped by men many multiples of their age.
    The majority of Americans - that is the majority of persons in our "morally superior" society - have supported withdrawal from Afghanistan for years. Your position is extreme; you once said you'd be happy if the US killed 75 million Muslims who you identify as "Islamofascists".

A society's supposed "Moral superiority" over another does not justify engaging in mass murder against the other society.

EDIT: As of last month, 17% of Americans approve of the war in Afghanistan and 82% disapprove according to a CNN/ORC poll. Other polls have found that 57% now think it was the "wrong thing" to invade and 66% said the war was not worth fighting.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/30/afghanistan-war-poll_n_4518385.html
  8. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    13 Jan '14 17:09
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Nothing surprising here. Typical Islamic extremism.
    It doesn't seem "typical" at all. If it were, the Taliban wouldn't deny involvement.
  9. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    13 Jan '14 17:15 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    So what needs to be done precisely and how will this help stop suicide bombings?
    Obviously more troops, more bombing and more killing will do the trick in a jiffy.

This has been the NeoCon spin for 12 years now.
  10. 13 Jan '14 17:17
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    How about we do what the Russiand did...get out and leave them to their own devices. Would that work?
  11. 13 Jan '14 17:31
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    How about we do what the Russiand did...get out and leave them to their own devices. Would that work?
    That depends on the purposes of getting out.

Accomplishing the stated purposes of the invasion? What were they, again?
  12. 13 Jan '14 19:52
    Originally posted by JS357
    That depends on the purposes of getting out.

Accomplishing the stated purposes of the invasion? What were they, again?
    Bin Laden?
  13. 13 Jan '14 21:55 / 3 edits

When the USSR was bombing Afghanistan, the USA liked to accuse the
    USSR of committing war crimes. Contrary to what Americans might like
    to assume, the USSR (with the support of some Afghans) attempted to
    help expand educational opportunities for Afghan women, for instance,
    long before the USA invaded Afghanistan.

'Suicide bombings' have been carried out by people of diverse nationalities,
    religions, and causes. Rajiv Gandhi, a former Prime Minister of India, was
    assassinated in a 'suicide bombing' by a Hindu Tamil woman, evidently a
    member of the LTTE (Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam). Suicidal attacks
    were a common method of operation by the LTTE.

During the armed conflict in Northern Ireland, the PIRA compelled a few
    Catholic civilians (whom the PIRA might have suspected of collaborating
    with the British authorities) to undertake 'suicide bombings'. In a typical
    case, the PIRA would hold members of the man's family as hostages and
    threaten to kill them if he did not obey orders for his suicidal mission, which
    would be to drive a vehicle filled with explosives and detonate it at a target
    (such as a British Army checkpoint). If I recall correctly, some men obeyed
    these orders to the death, and then the PIRA released their family members
    unharmed. But some men abandoned their vehicles before they would have
    exploded and then asked the British soldiers to rescue their family members
    before the PIRA could kill them. The PIRA abandoned this tactic because of
    common revulsion even among the people who generally supported the PIRA.
    Likewise, the PIRA had briefly tried 'honey traps' (having young women
    seduce British soldiers to obtain information or lure them into ambushes)
    with some success, but the PIRA abandoned this tactic because Irish
    Catholic families tended to disapprove of this exploitation of young women.
    By the way, I prefer neither to demonize nor to romanticize the PIRA.
  14. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    13 Jan '14 22:10
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    When the USSR was bombing Afghanistan, the USA liked to accuse the
    USSR of committing war crimes. Contrary to what Americans might like
    to assume, the USSR (with the support of some Afghans) attempted to
    help expand educational opportunities for Afghan women, for instance,
    long before the USA invaded Afghanistan.

'Suicide bombings' have been carrie ...[text shortened]... loitation of young women.
    By the way, I prefer neither to demonize nor to romanticize the PIRA.
    Perhaps you could provide a link or documentation to support such a claim (the one regarding the PIRA).
  15. 13 Jan '14 22:20 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Perhaps you could provide a link or documentation to support
    such a claim (the one regarding the PIRA).
    Years ago, I read about the PIRA's tactic of using involuntary 'suicide
    bombers' in a book, perhaps _The IRA: A History_ by Tim Pat Coogan or
    _A Secret History of the IRA_ by Ed Moloney. (I don't have any of those
    books in front of me.) While I don't expect to have a perfect memory of
    all the details, what I wrote seems generally accurate.

After you made your request, I immediately found this online article:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_bomb

"Three men whom it (PIRA) deemed to be collaborators were strapped
    into three vehicles and forced to drive to three British military targets.
    However, unlike the early proxy bombings, they were not given the chance
    to escape."