Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 11 Apr '17 21:14 / 7 edits
    On 9 April 2017 United Airlines forcibly removed a passenger, David Dao
    (a 69 year old doctor) from an overbooked flight, causing him visible injuries that
    were deeply disturbing to other passengers and many people who watched the video.

Initially, United Airlines, at its highest level (the CEO), defended its employees'
    actions and blamed the passenger for allegedly being 'disruptive and belligerent",
    though neutral (non-employee) witnesses did not confirm that allegation.
    United Airlines also issued a perfunctory non-apologetic 'apology'.

Then video of the incident went viral. Social media exploded in United Airlines' face.
    United Airlines' stock prices fell. Chinese media reported about how
    Dr David Dao (an ethnic Chinese who was born in Vietnam) may have
    been treated more harshly because, as an ethnic Chinese, he was stereotyped
    as passive and afraid to stand up for his rights. Some people in China
    (a major market for United Airlines) began speaking of boycotting the airline.
    Even in the USA, white Americans seemed more sympathetic to the
    bloodied ejected passenger than to the powerful American corporation.
    Some Americans also began speaking of boycotting United Airlines.

Confronted with all that, United Airlines' CEO belatedly claimed to have
    been 'upset' by the passenger's ejection (as distinguished from 'upset' at the
    damage to the airline's image and financial standing as a consequence)
    and offered another apology, though not addressed to the passenger by name.

Here's a sample of responses on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/search?q=united+airlines+apology&ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Esearch

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2017/04/11/was-that-doctor-dragged-off-the-united-airlines-flight-because-he-was-asian-many-in-china-think-so/?tid=pm_pop&utm_term=.91f349b71bac

"Was that doctor dragged off the United Airlines flight because he was Asian? Many in China think so."

Not referring only to this latest case, it's *not only* 'many in China' who believe
    that people of East Asian heritage routinely encounter racist stereotyping
    and discrimination in the USA, which is more condoned on account of
    Asian-Americans' extreme lack of influence in US politics or the media.
    Many, if not most, Asian-Americans have experienced incidents in which
    they apparently were 'picked on' and treated more adversely because
    they were stereotyped as passive, quiet, weak, and afraid to fight back.

As this story unfolds, many media outlets (presumably with United Airlines'
    encouragement) have begun investigating Dr David Dao's 'troubled past',
    ranging from a criminal record to success as a professional poker player.
    But all this is irrelevant to how United Airlines handled the original incident.
    Its employees knew nothing of David Dao's 'troubled past', and so the
    airline cannot invoke it retroactively in attempting to justify its actions.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/04/11/journalists-smear-man-dragged-off-united-flight-for-no-apparent-reason/
    "Now Reporters Are Smearing That 69-Year-Old, Bloodied United Passenger"
    --Peter Hasson

"Journalists are now digging up dirt on the man who was dragged off a United Airlines
    flight on Sunday, despite the man’s past having no apparent relevancy to the incident."

I suspect there will be no shortage of lawyers eager to represent David Dao against United Airlines.
  2. Subscriber mchill
    cryptogram
    11 Apr '17 22:31
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    (a 69 year old doctor) from an overbooked flight, causing him visible injuries that
    were deeply disturbing to other passengers and many people who watched the video.

Initially, United Airlines, at its highest level (the CEO), defended its employees'
    actions and blamed the passeng ...[text shortened]... spect there will be no shortage of lawyers eager to represent David Dao against United Airlines.
    I wonder if Duchess would be expressing such outrage, and filling her post with as much verbage, if David Dao was a white male.
  3. 11 Apr '17 22:40
    Originally posted by mchill
    I wonder if Duchess would be expressing such outrage, and filling her post with as much verbage, if David Dao was a white male.
    Mchill's a lying racist troll with a long record of abusive personal attacks against me.

"Your [Mchill] laughable attempts to attack her [Duchess64] are becoming a nuisance.
    I have ignored them so far but it's quite obvious you are plain and simple dumb."
    --Zahlanzi (to Mchill, 8 April 2017)

In fact, I have *accurately reported* the general sympathy for the ejected passenger and
    the general outrage (including by white Americans) at his treatment by United Airlines.
    I have *not generated* 'such outrage'; I simply have reported that it already exists.

For the record, Mchill has claimed or at least strongly implied that white men (like himself)
    are the most oppressed people in the USA today. So I would be hardly surprised at the
    racist troll Mchill's lack of empathy for non-white people.
  4. 12 Apr '17 00:14 / 1 edit
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/apr/11/united-airlines-flying-while-asian-fear

"Thanks to United Airlines, is flying while Asian something to fear?
    The forcible removal of an Asian man from an overbooked flight echoes cases of
    American violence against people of colour who defy authority."
    --Steven Thrasher

"The fear aboard United Express flight 3411 should alarm all thinking people about how
    the American mind has been trained to obey above all else. Obedience is a relentless
    message in the US, drilled into the populace via education, business, government – and,
    of course, the threat and reality of police violence."

"Was this was an act of racial violence? Let’s look at what we know.
    The Chicago police department identifies the passenger as a “69-year-old Asian man”.
    There seems to an unhealthy logic in thinking if that if he had refused to give up his seat,
    the appropriate response was violence. People tweeting “What would you have done?”,
    as if the only “choice” was unleashing law enforcement upon an elderly person, reveals
    how the American moral imagination dwells in what Get Out director Jordan Peele might
    call our collective “sunken place”.

The same logic is often applied to black men who don’t survive encounters with the police:
    if he’d obeyed, he’d be alive. This message is meant to instill a fear of disobedience in the living
    and convince Americans that violence to facilitate commerce should be our first response.
    The Chicago police department’s statement describes the passenger becoming “irate”
    when asked to disembark from the flight, then claims that he “fell”, striking an armrest
    and “causing injuries to his face”. That this so brazenly contradicts what we can all see
    on video speaks to the belief of American law enforcement that the public will obey it,
    regardless of what we can see with our own eyes."
    --Steven Thrasher

"Chicago PD statement on the United passenger is a model of why so many people don't trust police statements."
    --Harry Siegel (on Twitter)

"Of course, the onus in this debacle was on United for overselling the flight, not on the
    person who bought the ticket. The United CEO’s technocratic statement of apology for
    having to “re-accommodate these customers” disgusts me, as does the defense that its
    employees “followed established procedures”. When your procedures wind up with a
    man drooling blood and saying “just kill me”, they’re not defensible.

I simply can’t believe a blond white woman would have been yanked around by a cop in
    this way. She’d have threatened to sue, other passengers would have come to her aid,
    and the whole flight would have been deplaned before she’d been assaulted like that.

Was it the refusal from an Asian man that prompted such a violent response? I wouldn’t be surprised.
    Any possible Asian “model minority” status can be withdrawn at any time; refusal to defer
    to authority would quickly revoke that status. What message does this incident send to
    Asians and Asian Americans? It reinforces that they had better obey, or else.

There’s some deeply contextual US history behind a cop taking control of an Asian man’s body
    on behalf of a corporation. Asian bodies have been violently moved by the US and American
    corporations alike, from the use of Chinese immigrants for the dangerous work of building
    the transcontinental railroad after the American civil war, to their rejection via the Chinese Exclusion
    Act of 1882, to Japanese internment during the second world war.

Asian bodies are routinely erased from American history in our curriculum, as they are by
    way of whitewashing and yellowface in contemporary visual culture – for example in
    Ghost in the Shell, Doctor Strange, Aloha and The Great Wall. But thanks to United Airlines,
    an Asian body has been made visible in a way Hollywood couldn’t ever manage – as a
    subject of real-life state violence."
    --Steven Thrasher

Steven Thrasher has written a generally eloquent and insightful commentary.
    I would add that overt racism against Asians in the USA is much more common and accepted
    than the mainstream US media reports because Asian Americans have so little influence in the media.
    The misleadingly overhyped 'model minority' status of (some) Asian Americans depends chiefly
    upon being trusted enough by white people in power that Asian Americans will not challenge,
    criticize, or even question them and appear content to embrace completely subordinate roles.
    To this day, highly qualified Asian American applicants are routinely rejected for leadership
    positions because they supposedly are intrinsically inferior in leadership or communication skills.
    Unfortunately, almost all discussions of racism or civil rights in the USA like to act as
    though racism's a major problem only for black or brown people, but not for Asians.
  5. 12 Apr '17 00:17 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by mchill
    The racist troll Mchill loves to stand up for all the terribly oppressed white men in the USA!
    Has Mchill ever heard of a 'racist incident' when he did not feel most sorry for white men?

"I simply can’t believe a blond white woman would have been yanked around by a cop in
    this way. She’d have threatened to sue, other passengers would have come to her aid,
    and the whole flight would have been deplaned before she’d been assaulted like that."
    --Steven Thrasher

And I doubt that a non-blonde white woman would have been 'assaulted like that' aboard the airliner.
  6. 12 Apr '17 01:23

actions and blamed the passeng ...[text shortened]... spect there will be no shortage of lawyers eager to represent David Dao against United Airlines.
    He doesn't have a legal leg to stand on. Airline rules and regs. covered all the bases. Look up airline carrier law.
  7. 12 Apr '17 02:22 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by kquinn909
    He doesn't have a legal leg to stand on. Airline rules and regs. covered all the bases. Look up airline carrier law.
    Has Kquinn909 been appointed as a judge anywhere? In which state is he licensed to practice law?

Even if the airline had a legal right to remove a passenger, that does not mean that it's
    entitled to use excessive force in implementing it. Even if the police believe that a public
    demonstration is unlawful, it does not mean they can fire live bullets in order to disperse it.

I suspect that United Airlines, while preferring not to admit any wrongdoing, will likely offer
    Dr David Dao a considerable amount to settle this dispute out-of-court. In that case,
    Kquinn909 may prefer to believe that the corporation generously acted out of pure altruism.

I have noticed some people on the internet make racist comments about the passenger
    (coincidence?) while declaring their support of the corporation in this dispute.
    There may be some racists who wish that the passenger got more severely injured.
  8. 12 Apr '17 03:20
    Has Kquinn909 been appointed as a judge anywhere? In which state is he licensed to practice law?

Even if the airline had a legal right to remove a passenger, that does not mean that it's
    entitled to use excessive force in implementing it. Even if the police believe that a public
    demonstration is unlawful, it does not mean they can fire live bullets ...[text shortened]... this dispute.
    There may be some racists who wish that the passenger got more severely injured.
    I already stated on another forum they'd pay him to stfu. He is a scumbag tho and has a metal history of pulling this kinda bs.
  9. Subscriber mchill
    cryptogram
    12 Apr '17 15:11 / 1 edit
    Mchill's a lying racist troll with a long record of abusive personal attacks against me.

"Your [Mchill] laughable attempts to attack her [Duchess64] are becoming a nuisance.
    I have ignored them so far but it's quite obvious you are plain and simple dumb."

In fact, I have *accurately reported* the general sympa ...[text shortened]... I would be hardly surprised at the
    Duchess- I'm very sorry my little "inconvenient facts" disturb you, but the truth is you display the same kind of racist and sexist attitude toward white males, as you accuse them of. Turnabout is fair play, so if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen!

P.S. Have a Nice Day!
  10. Subscriber FreakyKBH
    Acquired Taste...
    12 Apr '17 15:19

In fact, I have *accurately reported* the general sympa ...[text shortened]... I would be hardly surprised at the
    Did you really just use Zahlanzi as support for your perspective?

Ouch.
  11. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    12 Apr '17 15:41
    Originally posted by kquinn909
    You fail to grasp the massive PR failure in this, pal.
  12. 12 Apr '17 17:41
    The racist troll Mchill loves to stand up for all the terribly oppressed white men in the USA!
    Has Mchill ever heard of a 'racist incident' when he did not feel most sorry for white men?

"I simply can’t believe a blond white woman would have been yanked around by a cop in
    this way. She’d have threatened to sue, other passengers would have come to her ...[text shortened]... I doubt that a non-blonde white woman would have been 'assaulted like that' aboard the airliner.
    Is there anyone you do like?
  13. 12 Apr '17 21:36

You have to take your hat off to the United Airline " new ideas initiative department" , I think a Chinese takeaway might catch on !
  14. 12 Apr '17 21:56 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Did you really just use Zahlanzi as support for your perspective?
    Ouch.
    Zahlanzi has more credibility than a deranged troll (FreakyKBH) who believes the Earth is flat.
  15. 12 Apr '17 21:59
    Originally posted by phil3000
    You have to take your hat off to the United Airline " new ideas initiative department" , I think a Chinese takeaway might catch on !
    Thanks to the racist troll Phil3000 for confirming the existence of racist responses to this incident.
    I already know that many racists in this forum don't object to physically injuring non-white people.